Klarus        

Thread: Very small 1000L pocket rockets?

Default Very small 1000L pocket rockets?

Hey all, I've been away from flashlights for a while, so please forgive me.

I see the Olight S1R II is a very small 1000L rechargable. Its in my cart - but are there any other lights similar to this that I should consider? Smaller is better, and 500+ lumens is the target. Rechargable is nice. I don't particularly like twisties but if that's what it is, that's ok. So, small, 500-1000L+, decent quality, price is whatever it is. Any suggestions? Thanks much.

Default Re: Very small 1000L pocket rockets?

The catch with the high-output micro lights like that is the turbo rating is just for a few moments, you're not actually going to be able to walk around for a while at ~1,000 lumens. If you can hedge a bit on the size, up to 18650 format, the current Zebralight SC600 can give you 0.2 - 2,400 lumens, and it's temperature-controlled so as long as you've got some cool air you can remain well over a thousand lumens for some time.

I'll second a Zebralight, and I think you'd be thrilled with an SC64w HI. It's very compact for an 18650 light, makes plenty of beautiful light, and had an amazing and programmable UI. It will pocket a lot smaller than their SC600x bodies lights.

If you want even smaller, then their SC5C MKII runs on an Eneloop AA and will produce about 500 lumens for a few minutes, but still produces a lot of very usable light for a AA format. (I legit EDC this light and for me it's perfect for my occasional needs.)

But if I could keep only one of my Zebralghts, it would be the SC64w HI for sure... But I have several, because nobody is making me keep just one!

The Nitecore TUP might be something to consider.
    17 is 11, 11 is 6, 6 is 3 and 3 is none. Also it's good to have some backups.

I have the Acebeam UC15
    G.K Chesterton, when asked 'what is wrong with the world?' simply replied 'I am!'

Thanks guys, I was thinking - I have a Emisar D4 that I could get a 18350 tube for that would get me a pretty small light. I like the TUP also, thanks for the suggestion. And yes, runtime at full power is an issue - but I'm ok with that. That said, still looking for any more potential suggestions...

The BOSS 35 is smaller than it looks ....

Or maybe a Minion, I guess ?
    ... is the archimedes peak

How about 4/7 mini MK three.

900 lm. Very small.

Flashaholic

Fenix E16, E18. I like the Olight for the 0.5Lm low (E18 is 5Lm). Also the E18 puts the charge port opposite the similarly shaped button - why confuse fingers like that? No reason. Ironically Olight has something similar with their pointless hex-shape around the button; fortunately they've eliminated it on S1Rii. Btw why does S1Rii use XML2? Isn't that like 10yrs old and all green-fringed? Or maybe it's been updated.
    Last edited by Beckler; 02-19-2019 at 08:39 PM.

Flashaholic*

Zebralight makes a very small light called the SC32, but it is "only" 480 lumens and runs on a CR123 battery(non rechargeable).

Quote Originally Posted by archimedes View Post
    The BOSS 35 is smaller than it looks ....

Or maybe a Minion, I guess ?
    I remember when Oveready introduced the BOSS, and posted a photo showing the 35 was shorter than a Surefire E1e. I was shocked!
    "Rage, rage against the dying of the light..."

Quote Originally Posted by kinzli View Post
    Hey all, I've been away from flashlights for a while, so please forgive me.

I see the Olight S1R II is a very small 1000L rechargable. Its in my cart - but are there any other lights similar to this that I should consider? Smaller is better, and 500+ lumens is the target. Rechargable is nice. I don't particularly like twisties but if that's what it is, that's ok. So, small, 500-1000L+, decent quality, price is whatever it is. Any suggestions? Thanks much.
    Try Klarus XT1C. I am taking a hard look at it myself, 1000 lumes, 3.7” long.

I think best bet for a small pocket rocket is the Emisar D4 with XPL HI and 18350 tube, run on an Aspire 1100 mAh 18350 or equivalent.

It's a very small compact quad emitter light with great UI and even on 18350 should easily output over 3,000 lumens turbo.

I have both an Emisar D4 and an Olight S1RII.

The S1RII is always clipped to my pocket, while the D4 is the light I hold in my hand. Both have similar beam profiles and both stabilize around 300 lumens after a few minutes on blast.

The D4 is way more fun to use and has a bigger fuel tank, but I would never use it for EDC, because it has to be locked out in the pocket.

If you're going small, stick with the S1RII – if you can go slightly bigger, the Zebralight SC64 is great – slightly bigger yet is the SC600.

Quote Originally Posted by P220C View Post
    ...The D4 is way more fun to use and has a bigger fuel tank, but I would never use it for EDC, because it has to be locked out in the pocket. ...
    Good point.

I've lost a couple pockets to the Emisar D4 turning on accidentally in the pocket and burning a hole through them. Granted that was with an 18650 cell, but I suppose it still packs enough punch in 18350 format to do the same.

I love the D4, but I hate locking out my EDC. It's gotten to the point where I've started modding my D4 lights to reduce or eliminate the problem. I've tried the following mods and all have been relatively effective at eliminating the need for lockout:

* Installing a flip-up cover over the button. 100% protection from accidental pocket activation, and looked ok.

* Added a filed-down #14 nickel-plated brass finishing washer around the switch button. Turns the protruding button into a recessed one. Fairly effective and looks great, but not 100% protective like the flip-up cover.

* Replaced stock silicone button-boot with homemade one made of aluminum sheet and silicone. I like it. It's flatter than the stock boot and looks better since the top is metal. It looks like a metal button.

* Reflashed stock firmware with TK's Anduril. Best when used in conjunction with one of the other remedies. Very similar to the stock UI except I can manually set a cap on the ramp-up. Can still access max turbo via double-click from on. Goal is to set the max ramp at the highest level my pockets can take. That way if the light accidentally does turn-on and ramp-up in the pocket it won't destroy them. Very effective, but does add an extra step to get to turbo.
    Last edited by Fireclaw18; 02-20-2019 at 06:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by StarHalo View Post
    The catch with the high-output micro lights like that is the turbo rating is just for a few moments, you're not actually going to be able to walk around for a while at ~1,000 lumens. If you can hedge a bit on the size, up to 18650 format, the current Zebralight SC600 can give you 0.2 - 2,400 lumens, and it's temperature-controlled so as long as you've got some cool air you can remain well over a thousand lumens for some time.
    So I read up on the SC600 and it states that it uses an UNPROTECTED 18650. Do these particular batteries only come unprotected or not and if so, could it explode if I carry it in my backpack??

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by GrooveRite View Post
    So I read up on the SC600 and it states that it uses an UNPROTECTED 18650. Do these particular batteries only come unprotected or not and if so, could it explode if I carry it in my backpack??
    It takes unprotected because the light is small and there only enough room for an unprotected cell (65mm long). The light has built-in safety features, like low-voltage-protection, so you don't need a protected battery.

Could it explode? Not unless there's some internal fault in the battery, but that would happen whether it was protected or unprotected. Always buy genuine good-quality lithium-ion cells from a reputable dealer.

I've never had a Zebralight turn on accidentally. The switch is recessed, so it's not easy to accidentally trigger. But if you're worried, you can give the tailcap a slight twist to lock it out.

If it did turn on, it doesn't run as hot as some pocket-rockets, and it has a very good PID thermal control that ramps down the light when it hits 55C. It will get hot, but not hot enough to burn. But even so, I'd lock it out if you're carrying it in a pack or something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by WalkIntoTheLight View Post
    It takes unprotected because the light is small and there only enough room for an unprotected cell (65mm long). The light has built-in safety features, like low-voltage-protection, so you don't need a protected battery.

Could it explode? Not unless there's some internal fault in the battery, but that would happen whether it was protected or unprotected. Always buy genuine good-quality lithium-ion cells from a reputable dealer.

I've never had a Zebralight turn on accidentally. The switch is recessed, so it's not easy to accidentally trigger. But if you're worried, you can give the tailcap a slight twist to lock it out.

If it did turn on, it doesn't run as hot as some pocket-rockets, and it has a very good PID thermal control that ramps down the light when it hits 55C. It will get hot, but not hot enough to burn. But even so, I'd lock it out if you're carrying it in a pack or something like that.
    Thanks for the explanation! I was just about to post a similar comment on your video on youtube, oddly enough, lol!

Between the SC600w Hi and the Plus, which would be best for indoor and outdoor use? I'm looking to pick one of these up very soon.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by GrooveRite View Post
    Between the SC600w Hi and the Plus, which would be best for indoor and outdoor use? I'm looking to pick one of these up very soon.
    The HI is too throwy for indoors, but it makes a fantastic outdoor light. The Plus would be better for both indoors and out. Another alternative is the SC64w HI, which makes a very good EDC light for both indoors and out. It's smaller than the Plus, though not as bright. Still over a thousand lumens, though.

Quote Originally Posted by WalkIntoTheLight View Post
    The HI is too throwy for indoors, but it makes a fantastic outdoor light. The Plus would be better for both indoors and out. Another alternative is the SC64w HI, which makes a very good EDC light for both indoors and out. It's smaller than the Plus, though not as bright. Still over a thousand lumens, though.
    Thanks for your help!

Thanks for the help folks. I ended up buying a S1R II and an i1R - one for the keychain and one for the pocket. The S1R II boasts 1000 lumens on turbo - doesn't quite look like 1000 lumens to me, but its a decent light and seems well thought out and the price was about right.

Thanks for the help folks. I ended up buying a S1R II and an i1R - one for the keychain and one for the pocket. The S1R II boasts 1000 lumens on turbo - doesn't quite look like 1000 lumens to me, but its a decent light and seems well thought out and the price was about right.
    Olights are always a solid choice in my experience. Let us know how you get on with them. I love my S30R III and S1 mini Baton and am eagerly awaiting an I1R in the mail (as a replacement for the lamentable Maglite Solitaire).
    Last edited by wosser; 02-22-2019 at 12:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by wosser View Post
    Olights are always a solid choice in my experience. Let us know how you get on with them. I love my S30R III and S1 mini Baton and am eagerly awaiting an I1R in the mail (as a replacement for the lamentable Maglite Solitaire).
    The little I1R is impressive because its SO small, durable, and easy to operate. Its got a nice beam and is pretty bright for its size. For the price, hard to beat I think.

i had s1, very bright light for its size, mine was not rechargeable. had it on the shelf for years, too small for me to carry, (i mean it was great that it was that small and light, but using it was not that easy due to it being small and light, with gloves on, even worst. would be great light for a female to keep in her bag\purse. but my wife said i phone light is enough for her, i gave it to her brother. he said it is great as a back up for hiking. i personally use convoy s2+ 18350. very happy with it.

The little I1R is impressive because its SO small, durable, and easy to operate. Its got a nice beam and is pretty bright for its size. For the price, hard to beat I think.
    They are adorable...
    https://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...=1#post5287023

Flashaholic

I don't like non-removable cell tho in i1r. Seems like everyone makes that type of flashlight, no? Like mecarmy which has removable cell.

Quote Originally Posted by Beckler View Post
    I don't like non-removable cell tho in i1r. Seems like everyone makes that type of flashlight, no? Like mecarmy which has removable cell.
    Sort of,the Olight is really smaller than any others I have seen though it is also the same light essentially too.
    None of these are 1K rockets though so what are we talking about them for in this thread?

Quote Originally Posted by Beckler View Post
    Also the E18 puts the charge port opposite the similarly shaped button - why confuse fingers like that? No reason.
    Actually there is a very good reason, the flap for dust cover is pushed in during light operation, fail safe for it being undone by accident. Also, it actually makes the switch easier to find since it doesn't take a genius to just push in from both sides for activation. A quarter set-up doesn't work as well and increases flat opening risk, making it harder to find the switch, as does having it below or above the switch, you could but it as the bottom but that would change the size of the light and the point is to have a small light.

My point is having the switch opposite the USB plug is literally the best possible design, and that's an objective fact not really my opinion. Show me a light that works better with the same size.
    My Favorite owned: Acebeam T21VN Oslon, Acebeam X80GT, Emisar D4TI 18350 hi LED, Fenix TK75 '15, Fenix FD20. Other: Fenix tk09, Emisar D4 hcri LED, Fenix BC30, Fenix tk32 '15, Coast polysteel full line, Coast g10.