H8 Foglamps

Sadden

Enlightened
My wifes trax has H8 fogs. They arent actually terrible and i want too keep thier usefullness for our whiteout winters.

Whats the best option going forward?
Replace the lamps with a superior model? (Looking at the oem mounts doesnt seem simple)

Bulb upgrade? Are there any legit bulb upgrades? H11 swap?

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
My wifes trax has H8 fogs. They arent actually terrible and i want too keep thier usefullness for our whiteout winters.

How are they being used? Fog lamps (of any kind) are useless, at best, above about 25-30 mph.

Whats the best option going forward?

Leave them turned off almost all the time. Good science is here.

Bulb upgrade? Are there any legit bulb upgrades?

There are not.

H11 swap?

Not even close to a good idea.

Sadden

Enlightened
How are they being used? Fog lamps (of any kind) are useless, at best, above about 25-30 mph.

They are only used in inclement weather, she has been given the speech and knows not too use them at highway speeds. She only turns them.on at appropriate times. We live in northern alberta.

Well rather than mess around trying too make them legitimately usefull i think we will replace these.

What are some good options?

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
I can't think of anything that will easily mount in a Trax other than the original fog lamps.

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
The copy on that page is disheartening. Things like
Last but not least: OSRAM NIGHT BREAKER LASER impresses with its unique design (laser-engraved product name)
The promise of
20% whiter light compared to the minimum legal standard
reads like PIAA or Morimoto nonsense, given that all white light is white and all non-white light is non-white. If the light is white it's white and is no whiter than any white light.

The out-of-the-focal-region blue coating will still put blue light out there and in others' eyes, and in the form of blue backscatter for the driver.

As usual, I'm going to recommend getting a rear fog lamp. Well-designed headlamps already give a good view of the road edges and markings, even in the fog, at the low speeds front fog lamps are good for. However, you're at risk from being rear-ended by someone thinking their own fog lamps are magic.

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
"20% whiter light compared to the minimum legal standard" is literally meaningless. In the first place there's no such thing as "whiter" light. In the second place, the regulation says the light must be white. It doesn't say the light must be at least this white, so there's no way one light could be 20 (or any other percent) "whiter" than another light.

Most fog lamps are just plain useless, especially virtually all of them with low-power, low-output halogen bulbs (H8...H16...PSX24W (so-called "5202" or "5204")...any of the 800-series bulbs...). Just keep them turned off.