Maglite zip tie/keyring laynard attachment - found something online and copied

rrego

Enlightened
Was looking for ideas online of how to add a lanyard attachment or buy a tail cap that has an attachment point (loop?). Found something online that used a zip tie on a Mini Mag, and I copied the idea for my C cell lights.

In the online find, they wrap the zip tie onto an existing "sleeve" around the MM. I used a piece of bike inner tube for the zip tie to "grip".

Has this ever been posted on here somewhere?

I've seen many of Bykfixer's drilled attachment points, but I don't have access to tools that can do that.

This is the link to the write up I found online http://www.benvelo.com/lampifix/lanyard_tips.html

Here is how my set ups turned out. Not very pretty, but it's just for easier carry on my evening walk or around the house stuff. I don't want to drop them and have my lamps break (Tad mod [3C host], ROP [2C host], 6 cell lamps [2C host] or 3 cell bi-pin [2C twisty]).

https://imgur.com/a/aRtbuRy

Last edited:

rrego

Enlightened
Thanks for that StarHalo. I'll have to look into that.

I recently discovered the easy 6 cell lamp mod and ROP and Tad Customs mod, so I'm being extra careful with these set ups... :caution: :laughing:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Man, that is awesome stuff rrego. Coulda saved me from drilling all those holes....

How did you cinch the zip tie so it squeezed the rubber like that. Did you double up the inner tube?
Sheez-a-mighty, nearly every home should have a busted inner tube or two they never got around to tossing or swore it would come in handy some day...

Last edited:

rrego

Enlightened
Hey Byk, the final pull on the zip tie was cinched up by holding the ring in place and using pliers to do that final tight pull (I think that's how it states it in the online write up I found - that's how I did it).

The thick pieces of tube were the first ones I did. I cut a length, so that it wrapped/overlapped a little (it's a 700C inner tube). On the later ones, I cut skinny strips, following lines on the inner tube and they are a little wider than the zip ties and those look a little cleaner, but they don't seem as strong of a hold as the ones on the thicker tube pieces, but they hold well enough.

LetThereBeLight!

Enlightened
I bought a bunch of lanyards on Jeff Bezos' site (not sure I can mention the name here?) that hold a lot of my lights because I clip the lanyard to the light and wear it around my neck. Not sure if this is what the OP is getting at.

LiftdT4R

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am a big fan of the scaffold knot and celtic button knot lanyard combo. They are challenging but fun to tie and paracord is pretty cheap on flea bay. Here's one of the may that I've tied on a Malkoff but you can attach the scaffold knot portion to anything. For a Mini Mag I'd use a key chain ring in the lanyard lug.

a8YYFed.jpg

Here's a guide to tying them: https://stormdrane.blogspot.com/2011/05/adjustable-paracord-wrist-lanyard.html

A member on CPF actually sells lanyard ring attachements for new style C and Mags: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?178764-MagRing2

A lot of time's I'll actually tie a slip knot instead of a scaffold not and wrap the paracord directly around the body. You'll need to put a bead inside the loop of the slip knot so that it doesn;t pull through itself.

Maglite used to make a factory lanyard ring end cap and they are still for sale here and there but they only fit D cells with no letter in the serial number.

Hope this helps!

rrego

Enlightened
LetThereBeLight - yes, I do clip the lanyard to the light, as seen in one of my pictures. I don't need more lanyards (already have enough from existing lights), I just move a laynard to whatever light I'll be using at the time.

LiftdT4R - thanks for that link. I'm going to look into those rings. Looks very clean and maybe with one of those, I can finally make the move to 18650x2 on my incan 2C lights. Right now, I'm running KP protected 18500x2. I'm only running 18650x2 on 3C lights.

Dave MP

Newly Enlightened
Like the zip-tie idea for a quick lanyard attach.

I used paracord and tied a turks head on my lightweight ASP. Left enough extra for it to swing free, yet not fall off easily. May use it on some of my other lights and experiment with different diameter cord.
i-hkW87gj-L.jpg