Sustainable high lumens.

ZEUSFL

Newly Enlightened
[FONT=&quot]I just acquired Acebeam X80-GT.[/FONT][FONT=&quot] Testing yesterday night for first time i fell in love with the amount of light in turbo mode, however, is very disappointing that less than 20 seconds after start dimming very quickly until looks like a normal flashlight.[/FONT][FONT=&quot] Even when is supposed to be 4K lumes does not feel like it.[/FONT][FONT=&quot] I have a 1500 lumens light and is just a little brightest than 1500.[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]I charged the batteries before using the light.[/FONT][FONT=&quot] Since i want the light for hiking in a really dark place now I am considering another light because once dims is not sufficient bright for me to feel safe IMO.[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Little disappointing for $329.00 but thats the price for a compact light.[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]I really don't mind carrying something bigger.[/FONT][FONT=&quot] Can some one tell me what flashlight will have a sustainable high lumens output?[/FONT][FONT=&quot] I am looking in the 10K-15K range.[/FONT][FONT=&quot] I know the MS12 and X70 are options.[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Do exist on any others on that ball park?[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT]

CREEXHP70LED

Enlightened
I just acquired Acebeam X80-GT. Testing yesterday night for first time i fell in love with the amount of light in turbo mode, however, is very disappointing that less than 20 seconds after start dimming very quickly until looks like a normal flashlight. Even when is supposed to be 4K lumes does not feel like it. I have a 1500 lumens light and is just a little brightest than 1500.

I charged the batteries before using the light. Since i want the light for hiking in a really dark place now I am considering another light because once dims is not sufficient bright for me to feel safe IMO.
Little disappointing for $329.00 but thats the price for a compact light.

I really don't mind carrying something bigger. Can some one tell me what flashlight will have a sustainable high lumens output? I am looking in the 10K-15K range. I know the MS12 and X70 are options.
Do exist on any others on that ball park?

When you say not bright enough for you to feel safe, do you mean from people? Or do you mean safe as in being able to see other natural dangers around you like cliffs etc? I can not imagine needing that much light for tactical use against people or animals. If that is the reason you want more light I would carry a firearm. I understand the safety of light, however maybe you need more throw and less flood that the X80-GT puts out. Also, trying to lug around an X70 for any reason even if just hiking is way too large for me, I hope others can help you better.

Also our eyes do not see lumens linearly. 5,000 lumens does not look twice as bright as 2,500 lumens it is about 1/4 of that maybe. So 5,000 lumens might looks twice as bright as 1,250 lumens. I know I see a small difference in 5,500 lumens and 9,000 lumens on my X7 but it is not a huge difference.

archimedes

Flashaholic
Yes, as a rough general guide, I find it takes anywhere from 4x - 10x lumens to (subjectively) "seem twice as bright"

There are a lot of variables that impact this perception, including other ambient lighting, beam shape, CCT / tint, extremes of output (either high or low) , etc , etc

ZEUSFL

Newly Enlightened
You are probably right. My safe felling became from walking around the lake or ponds here in Florida where is many alligators. The X80-GT is an excellent light and have good throw when is in turbo mode and once is in the 4K lumens you can see well a short meters clear. I love the fact you can see 180 degrees around but short distance. Probably what i need is a thrower with good angle view. Making my research and imalent DX80, MS12 or X70 will do it as well.

Obviously the X80-GT is a keeper since for short distances application is awesome.

ZEUSFL

Newly Enlightened
I am going to make a video today if my iPhone X Max camera helps about what i am talking about.

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
OP wants a light that can sustain 10,000-15,000 lumens

The only one that comes to mind is the Imalent MS12 with internal fan-cooling. My recollection from reading one of the reviews is that it can sustain around 15,000 lumens. Peak turbo output is 53,000 lumens.

grayjay70

Newly Enlightened
I noticed that the lights spec sheet calls for using 20amp rated (high current) batteries, you likely will not get the high output modes to last long if using batteries that are not optimized for high current (at the expense of longer run length from batteries instead optimized for higher A-hr capacity). 18x XHP50.2 LEDs should certainly be able to produce ridiculous level of lumens, I would suspect that the batteries and /or driver are just not up to the task of sustaining enough energy for the LEDs and the design of the light may not have enough cooling?

ZEUSFL

Newly Enlightened
My understanding is that Sony VTC6 18650 lithium ion batteries (the one build in the X70) are rated 30A HD at least on paper. I just order 2 pair of this batteries for my X80-GT to test how goes.

From the Acebeam website quote
"The heat from these LEDs is dissipated by a centrifugal fan built into the carrying handle and powered by a separate rechargeable 18650 cell, allowing the X70 to sustain outputs of up to 18,000 lumens for 50 minutes and blast out 25,000 lumens for 8 minutes or 60,000 lumens for nearly a minute – durations which are not practical without active cooling."

Sustain 18K will be sweet. Even 15K will be nice.

Last edited:

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
My understanding is that Sony VTC6 18650 lithium ion batteries (the one build in the X70) are rated 30A HD at least on paper. I just order 2 pair of this batteries for my X80-GT to test how goes.

From the Acebeam website quote
"The heat from these LEDs is dissipated by a centrifugal fan built into the carrying handle and powered by a separate rechargeable 18650 cell, allowing the X70 to sustain outputs of up to 18,000 lumens for 50 minutes and blast out 25,000 lumens for 8 minutes or 60,000 lumens for nearly a minute – durations which are not practical without active cooling."

Sustain 18K will be sweet. Even 15K will be nice.

That would do it too.

If you're seeking a light that can sustain 10,000+ lumens the limiting factor probably isn't the battery. It's heat. To sustain gigantic output like that you need a huge host with fan cooling.

ven

Flashaholic
If you want to sustain high outputs for minutes(indefinitely but a variable depending on output) then size is also a factor. Small compact lights that are high output,step down with heat. Larger lights can help out with the extra mass/heat sinking. For example, my rc40vn which is around 7500lm , can run indefinitely ...........till voltage drops too low to sustain. Pop can size lights tend to be 2000-3000lm for longer periods, jump up to rc40/x65 size and double it easy. X70 is the next level with the handle/fan and bumps up the sustainable output again.

So so if planning on using 5000+ type outputs, go BIG basically .

CREEXHP70LED

Enlightened
You are probably right. My safe felling became from walking around the lake or ponds here in Florida where is many alligators. The X80-GT is an excellent light and have good throw when is in turbo mode and once is in the 4K lumens you can see well a short meters clear. I love the fact you can see 180 degrees around but short distance. Probably what i need is a thrower with good angle view. Making my research and imalent DX80, MS12 or X70 will do it as well.

Obviously the X80-GT is a keeper since for short distances application is awesome.

There is nothing to be worried about my friend. I have spent almost my entire life in the Florida swamps, the gators wont get you unless they are being fed by humans. I have A LOT of up close and personal experience with them. The thing you need to watch out for the most at night around the swamps and lakes and ponds here will be the cotton mouth or (moccasins). I night hike several times a week next to a creek where I live, and it is loaded with them. I ran across about 6 of them within 50 feet and I did call it a night that time, but it was just a fresh hatching and they were about 1 foot long. I do like a throwy light for looking into the water though if I am going to bend down next to the edge of the water. (This is always something to be careful of as the gators see you as smaller prey and do be cautious of that). A light that works for me the best is the 250,000 candela M3XS-UT. , but my 1000 lumen rated, 600 lumen regulated Surefire works just fine. With the X70 You will be scaring the gators and seeing their eyes a mile away. LOL.

I have never been lunged at by any alligator encountering literally thousands of them. Only 2 worried me, one 12 footer that was being fed by people, and a 13-14 footer that was in Myakka River State Park. I told my friend not to cross the trail where we saw it go in, but he did and he walked about 5 feet from it not aware it was that close when it was underwater about 3 feet deep. It thrashed like crazy and naturally left.

On a side note, gators taste great if they are not overcooked.;)

InvisibleFrodo

Enlightened
10 to 15 thousand lumens is an extremely tall order. Some here are saying thermal mass and heat dissipation are the limiting factors. Some are saying battery current handling and capacity are the limiting factors. With an output that high, you need a very large battery to supply the wattage you need for any extended amount of time, and at that high wattage, heat will also be a major issue. But as many have pointed out, there is really a point of diminishing returns on output.

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Howdy ZEUSFL, and welcome to the forum,
A lot of folks who night hike like to use a combo setup, such as a floody headlamp for general area illumination and walking, and then a hand held thrower for zeroing in on a particular area of interest.

Neither light would have to be super powerful since each one has it's own dedicated duty. This setup also serves the dual purpose of providing you with a backup light, just in case.

Just another option for you to consider. Good luck with your search : )

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
[FONT=&quot]I just acquired Acebeam X80-GT.[/FONT][FONT=&quot] Testing yesterday night for first time i fell in love with the amount of light in turbo mode, however, is very disappointing that less than 20 seconds after start dimming very quickly until looks like a normal flashlight.[/FONT][FONT=&quot] Even when is supposed to be 4K lumes does not feel like it.[/FONT][FONT=&quot] I have a 1500 lumens light and is just a little brightest than 1500.[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]I charged the batteries before using the light.[/FONT][FONT=&quot] Since i want the light for hiking in a really dark place now I am considering another light because once dims is not sufficient bright for me to feel safe IMO.[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Little disappointing for $329.00 but thats the price for a compact light.[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]I really don't mind carrying something bigger.[/FONT][FONT=&quot] Can some one tell me what flashlight will have a sustainable high lumens output?[/FONT][FONT=&quot] I am looking in the 10K-15K range.[/FONT][FONT=&quot] I know the MS12 and X70 are options.[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Do exist on any others on that ball park?[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT]

Welcome to the flashlight world. Yes, you have experienced the backside of the lumen race. Overpowered lights who lack as well the battery capacity and required heat dissipation for the output.
But: if you can be indulgent with the high modes you can enjoy impressive runtimes at mid modes without need of step down. And still at respectable output.

ZEUSFL

Newly Enlightened
There is nothing to be worried about my friend. I have spent almost my entire life in the Florida swamps, the gators wont get you unless they are being fed by humans. I have A LOT of up close and personal experience with them. The thing you need to watch out for the most at night around the swamps and lakes and ponds here will be the cotton mouth or (moccasins). I night hike several times a week next to a creek where I live, and it is loaded with them. I ran across about 6 of them within 50 feet and I did call it a night that time, but it was just a fresh hatching and they were about 1 foot long. I do like a throwy light for looking into the water though if I am going to bend down next to the edge of the water. (This is always something to be careful of as the gators see you as smaller prey and do be cautious of that). A light that works for me the best is the 250,000 candela M3XS-UT. , but my 1000 lumen rated, 600 lumen regulated Surefire works just fine. With the X70 You will be scaring the gators and seeing their eyes a mile away. LOL.

I have never been lunged at by any alligator encountering literally thousands of them. Only 2 worried me, one 12 footer that was being fed by people, and a 13-14 footer that was in Myakka River State Park. I told my friend not to cross the trail where we saw it go in, but he did and he walked about 5 feet from it not aware it was that close when it was underwater about 3 feet deep. It thrashed like crazy and naturally left.

On a side note, gators taste great if they are not overcooked.;)

Yes, i do hiking very often at nights and very often i spot moccasin as well, by the way about a year a go i almost step in a 2 1/2 feet one. That is the kind of situation when is nice to have a flooding light, because is easier to identify and avoid those situations. I have a friend that used to hike at knight as well with his small dog and a gator came out of the water and almost got him. There are many situation can be avoided and that is one.

ZEUSFL

Newly Enlightened
Howdy ZEUSFL, and welcome to the forum,
A lot of folks who night hike like to use a combo setup, such as a floody headlamp for general area illumination and walking, and then a hand held thrower for zeroing in on a particular area of interest.

Neither light would have to be super powerful since each one has it's own dedicated duty. This setup also serves the dual purpose of providing you with a backup light, just in case.

Just another option for you to consider. Good luck with your search : )

Thank you for the reply. That is an option that i was considering. Have a backup light in the pocket because some times i walk miles in trails where is absolutely dark where barely you can see your hand and if the light failing is not a good situation specially with the wildlife. Also some times you want to see far and the area. I guess the x70 with a harness will be fine. I used to use a magnalite the very long ones back in the days.

I want to thanks everybody input in my thread. Looks like a nice forum.

CREEXHP70LED

Enlightened
Yes, i do hiking very often at nights and very often i spot moccasin as well, by the way about a year a go i almost step in a 2 1/2 feet one. That is the kind of situation when is nice to have a flooding light, because is easier to identify and avoid those situations. I have a friend that used to hike at knight as well with his small dog and a gator came out of the water and almost got him. There are many situation can be avoided and that is one.

Yes , animals should not be walking next to the banks of a body of water. It is how gators eat. My mother lost a cat that way, I saw it get gobbled right up at the edge of the lake. it was infested with gators and I had a golden retriever that would get loose and swim in the lake (only 200 feet from my front door) and the gators would swim after him, he always got away. I hope you find the right lights for your adventures in "The real Florida"

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had a golden retriever that would get loose and swim in the lake (only 200 feet from my front door) and the gators would swim after him, he always got away.

They must have been well-fed gators, because there's no way any dog could out-swim an alligator.

CREEXHP70LED

Enlightened
They must have been well-fed gators, because there's no way any dog could out-swim an alligator.

Yes they were, it was a private lake, only 7 houses on it. One neighbor liked to feed them, (illegal but he did not care) and I am not sure they even wanted to eat him. they just swam behind him his at his pace.

I did shoot one in the eye, that got too close to him, a lucky shot. He did not like it too well. And I mean RIGHT in the eye socket. LOL