What about BOB? HDS lighting and batteries for "Oh CRAP!"

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
[FONT=&quot]What about BOB?[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]I have hesitated starting a thread regarding "BOBs", "War Bags", "Grab and Go" bags or emergency/preparedness gear as it probably has a better chance of going off the rails and getting closed faster than a "Pocket Dump" thread. So, let's start simple and just deal with lighting… Specifically HDS and what battery options you have picked and why for your kit. Let me repeat… Specifically for HDS and what battery options you have picked and why for an emergency kit.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Why in the HDS subform? Because MOST of the folks here have discerning taste and research the snot out of things and value quality regardless of cost. Others who may be reading, please don't take this as a "diss" as it is not. There are folks who simply want the best regardless of cost, and their definition of "value" is different from one who carries a cheap light light because they might lose it or it can be easily replaced or any number of other justifications. This is specifically about HDS and what battery options you have picked for a BOB or emergency kit and why and any long term battery solutions you may have. Do I need to repeat that again? I probably do but I won't.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]First, let me explain my BOB. I look at BOB like my grandmother's purse. That sucker had everything in it. I consider what is on my person as "Vital gear" and what is in BOB as "Essential Gear". There is some overlap, and that being said, I have specific gear in the vehicles for both winter and summer, and "home" gear. There is a ton of redundancy. There are also "giveaway" BOBs which contain great gear that was once in the BOB, but has been replaced with better or higher quality gear. This way I can toss "Elder BOB" to someone who might need it if I am home.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]So, what I have come up with for my BOB. Now, my BOB is really my shadow. It doesn't sit in a corner. If I leave the house traveling further than I can walk home in an hour, BOB comes with me. Why? Let's just say one only has to experience a major earthquake once in their life and carry a dead friend to a make-shift hospital for a lasting impression. Living without electricity for a couple months helps. Great experience if you live through it. Yes, I plan for the worst… not just earthquakes but perhaps an attacking mob of undead mutant brain eating congresswomen as well.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]So, besides always carrying an HDS Rotary in 123 flavor on my person, there are 2 more HDS lights in the BOB. Both are of the 2AA variety, one an Executive and the other a Rotary. There is also a spare Rotary 123 battery tube with raised button and a spare Executive tail with flush button. While I prefer raised tails, both of these 2AA have flush, the reason being I don't want any accidental activation either in the bag or in use.

img-3336.jpg
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Reasons for picking the 2AA format is more than just the battery type. The HDS 2AA tube is much thicker and stronger than either the 123 or 18680 tube and is, in fact, less prone to a malfunction than the 18680 tube because of how the signal wire is installed. It is also long enough to use in conjunction with kubaton and pain compliance techniques if one is familiar with them (another reason for the flush button instead of the raised is that when one is raking the tail of the light down someone's sternum, you don't run the risk of the button snagging and getting dislodged). Try it sometime… but on someone you don't like.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]I keep 12 spare AA batteries in the BOB. 4 Eneloop 4th Gen NiMH 1900 mAh, 4 Eneloop Pro 2550 mAh, and 4 Energizer L91 lithium batteries. There are also 8 Duracell primary 123s.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]What's the difference between the Eneloop Pro and 4th Gen Eneloop? As is everything, there are trade offs. Other than the capacity difference, the Gen 4 can be recharged up 2100 times… the Pro only 500. In real life, once you reach about 250 charges, the Gen 4 have more capacity than the Pro. Honestly, if things have gotten that bad… I was probably already bit by one of the walking dead and I'm foaming at the mouth spouting unintelligible gibberish about economics. But I digress.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Both 2AA HDS lights have Eneloop Pro 2550 mAh batteries in them.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]As part of the "lighting" aspect of the BOB, there is a PowerFilm Solar USB+AA foldable solar charger. I prefer this to their older one. The previous version would charge 4 AA batteries, however the new one has a cover that locks the batteries in, so if the charger is tied to the back of the BOB, there is much less likelihood of the batteries popping out and getting lost. The USB port is a nice option, but it uses the 2 AA batteries in the charger to do this… options are always good to have though. I chose the tan color for the charger as I don't want black absorbing the Arizona suns heat and transferring it to the batteries.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Along with this I have an AntiGravity PPS and Olight Magnetic Universal charger, but these are for other "things" in the BOB that I won't get into here.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]I would say if you want to pack real light, 2 Gen 4 Eneloop batteries in the PowerFilm and 2 in the HDS would cover most anything… as long as you live where the sun shines most of the time.[/FONT]

RCS1300

Flashlight Enthusiast
I keep it simple. Two HDS lights, one 18680 and one 123, with tritium markers. Two holsters, two battery cases, and one charger in case I can get to electricity. The battery cases have a mix of rechargeable 16340 and 18650s plus about eight CR123 primaries. I will have a total of three 18650's stacked on top of each other in the Pelican case, and one in the chamber.

If there is advance warning, I would replace the 16340s with CR123 primaries, which I have in house. My BOB is designed to grab quickly in the middle of the night on the way out of the house in my Jeep to another house 130 miles away or another house 600 miles away depending on the situation. I do not carry the BOB regularly but always take it when I travel out of town. I do carry daily a HDS light and the financial means to travel long distances and stay extended periods of time in alternate housing.

p1120041.jpg

Last edited:

RCS1300

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have lived in large urban environments, major Cities, for 35 years. People here do not plan for emergencies. If there is a major storm all of the store shelves will be cleaned bare of batteries, flashlights, food, and water within 24 hours. Gas stations will be out of gas within 24 hours. Forget AA batteries. Plus, trucks may not resupply for days. If it is not already in your house, you will not be able to get it. Always keep your vehicle well maintained and full of gas and your HDS lights ready to bug out.

fyrstormer

Banned
I wonder if HDS lights are really the best choice for a GAG bag. (it rhymes! :devil:) They are certainly durable enough, but the design of the light means there is always some parasitic drain on the battery. You can't unscrew the head partway to break the circuit, either; unscrewing the head partway does lock-out the switch, but the driver will remain powered-up. You can see this quite easily by turning the light on and then unscrewing the head partway -- the light will stay on.

This isn't a problem for everyday use, but in a situation where you have no idea when you'll be able to get batteries, even a small amount of parasitic drain is wasted power. That might be okay if you're only going to use CR123s with your HDS, because you'll have to use those sparingly anyway since they're harder to find, but I think there should also be a dedicated 1xAA or 2xAA light with a mechanical switch -- or at least a design that allows lockout.

I have aluminum Olight S1A lights in the gloveboxes of my car and my girlfriend's car. Those lights also have software switches, but the circuit can be completely broken by unscrewing the cap slightly. (I got the aluminum version for that specific reason -- the tailcap threads are fully anodized, unlike HDS lights.) I attached labels to the tailcaps that say "← Use | Store →", to indicate that the tailcap should be tightened before use and loosened again after use.

I also have a Pak-Lite and a Fenix E05 in my emergency kit. The Pak-Lite will run nearly forever on the low setting, and the Fenix E05 can use widely-available-but-less-sought-after AAA batteries.

I also have one of those cellphone-charging battery packs with a built-in solar panel. It doesn't charge itself very fast, but any free electricity you can get is worthwhile.

Last edited:

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hogo, does the 2aa duo ride loose in the pack? Or do you have them in a leather carrying case? I always have two HDS lights with me, one clicky and one rotary, both with the CR123 tubes. I keep a spare CR123 in a delrin capsule on my key chain. In my pack, I always have at least six spare CR123s in a Surefire spares carrier. I suppose I should include the back up clicky CR123 battery tube and more batteries, as I have plenty of other pelican type cases full of batteries. Right now I have 90 CR123's, and I confess that's running low by my standards.

Regarding the 2aa set up, I tend to agree with RCS. In a dire emergency, you can't count on AA's to be available, despite how common they may normally be. I've waffled a bit on the question of getting 2aa tubes, but I think I'd have to rely on what's in my house right now.

All I have to do is get home (which is what the HDS is supposed to do, I think). Once I get into my toy box, the illumination problem is solved for years.

scout24

Flashaholic
I also firmly believe in redundancy. I'm currently in posession of three HDS lights (One's a Ra lights clicky) all 123 sized. I have a small 6x8" Maxpedition pouch that's never far from reach that contains eight 123 cells and my 200lm Clicky if it's not in my pocket. There's a sling bag that that comes with me if I'm off my property in addition to the 6x8" pouch. A small plastic clamshell in it contains a single cell Nitecore charger with power in/power out to use as a battery bank if needed. There are 12v and 110v warts in there, and cables for every device my Wife and I own. My resurrected Rotary lives in this sling bag as well. 4 RCR123's keep it company. My low speed high drag looking EMS 30 liter backpack lives in whatever I'm travelling in if not walking with a 12 watt flexible solar panel to run said charger when needed.

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have lived in large urban environments, major Cities, for 35 years. People here do not plan for emergencies.

Most people don't... even the people who should know better, still don't.
There will be NOTHING useful in a store after the crap hits the fan. After the quake I was in, about the only thing in stores was some cleaning products and watch batteries. ALL other types of batteries were gone... but at least I knew my watch would be ok, and so I could rest easy.
If you don't have it before, you are not going to have it.

I wonder if HDS lights are really the best choice

Not to pick on you, but this is exactly why I stated 3 times above what this thread was about. It is not a "which light" thread.
That being said, the parasitic drain is so minuscule it is a non-issue AND, and this is VERY IMPORTANT... you must use and test your gear regularly. My BOB is a Hazzard 4 Plan B with added pouches, each pouch has a purpose i.e. basic first aid (band aids, ibuprofen, Imodium, antiseptic, etc. Another is "I'm heading toward the white light fast... could someone bring me back or at least stop me leaking the red stuff all over?" Another is power (batteries, solar, jump the car, etc). You get the idea. There are perishable things (medication, duct tape... yes, it goes bad in the Arizona heat, water purification tabs, band aids go bad in the heat)... if you are not intimately familiar with what you have, how it works, IF it works, you might as well not have it. I use everything in my BOB at least 4 times a year. The water purifiers, the fire starters... everything. If you pack a bag and let it sit, if you are an old fart like me, you won't remember everything you put in it... and maybe even how to use it, which is also why you keep the instructions with anything that is more complicated than a piece of parachute chord... this also has the benefit that if you are incapacitated, hopefully someone you are with can at least read instructions.

Hogo, does the 2aa duo ride loose in the pack?

I wrap then in a shemagh, but so I can pull them out after unzipping the pouch they are in.

I will go into why the HDS. While everyone is concerned about having 8 million lumens out the front... you might want to hide. You might just want to be in your home and not have the entire neighborhood know you are there. Sometimes being able to see and not be seen is more prudent than huge blasts of light. With dark adapted eyes, 200-325 lumens is VERY bright. Remember, it wasn't long ago 65 lumens was "tactically bright". Our eyes haven't changed in the last 10 years. Reliability, reliability, reliability, and nearly indestructible. Did I mention reliability? I have owned more lights than any human ever should and the only one I could ever be sure would turn on every time has been the HDS. I have been disappointed more times than not with other brands.

Commodorefirst

Newly Enlightened
I subscribe to the one is none and two is one phillosophy regarding lighting, I have three primary lights, my everyday carry hds cr123 rotary. In my BOB or purse I have a second hds rotary cr123, a Jetbeam Rrt-01 and a thrunite archer 1c. I carry 6 123 batteries. I also carry a double aa headlamp, and a aa maglite led flashlight all loaded with eneloop batteries and carry 4 extra aa eneloop batteries. I have other things, solar chargers, snall charges, etc, to numerous to list.

Oh, I do have a small crank flashlight, that works surprisingly well, and lasts for many minutes with a minute of cranking.

I have great confidence in my hds lights, and had great confidence in my old jetbeams, ( still do) but still always had duplicates.

Last edited:

scout24

Flashaholic
Good points both, re: parasitic drain as well as the necessity of inventory, use, and practice with kit contents. With regard specifically to the first point- my BOB light(s) are never the only ones I'm carrying. If I am heading out to cut my grass at noon, and know I'll be back inside for a drink at 2pm, I have a light in my pocket. BOB light can be left empty, or if the nagging inefficient lack of using that space bothers you as it does me, a small circle of business card cut to 16mm fits nicely on the end of a 123 cell, and doesn't leave glue goo like my last solution of a circle of electrical tape. Breaks the circuit, and takes up no room. I'm comfortable enough knowing I can remove the card stock or drop a cell in the light in the dark, or use my primary light to see what I'm doing.

Last edited:

fyrstormer

Banned
Not to pick on you, but this is exactly why I stated 3 times above what this thread was about. It is not a "which light" thread.
That being said, the parasitic drain is so minuscule it is a non-issue AND, and this is VERY IMPORTANT... you must use and test your gear regularly. My BOB is a Hazzard 4 Plan B with added pouches, each pouch has a purpose i.e. basic first aid (band aids, ibuprofen, Imodium, antiseptic, etc. Another is "I'm heading toward the white light fast... could someone bring me back or at least stop me leaking the red stuff all over?" Another is power (batteries, solar, jump the car, etc). You get the idea. There are perishable things (medication, duct tape... yes, it goes bad in the Arizona heat, water purification tabs, band aids go bad in the heat)... if you are not intimately familiar with what you have, how it works, IF it works, you might as well not have it. I use everything in my BOB at least 4 times a year. The water purifiers, the fire starters... everything. If you pack a bag and let it sit, if you are an old fart like me, you won't remember everything you put in it... and maybe even how to use it, which is also why you keep the instructions with anything that is more complicated than a piece of parachute chord... this also has the benefit that if you are incapacitated, hopefully someone you are with can at least read instructions.
I agree that people should use and replenish their emergency supplies periodically to make sure they stay fresh, but I don't see how it's possible to avoid a discussion about which supplies are best-suited for use in an emergency. I don't mean to trash on HDS lights, I think they're great (now that I have a pocket clip installed ;)), but I think an honest conversation about this topic requires considering the shortcomings of any piece of equipment. If nothing else it's important to talk about those shortcomings so they can be planned-for and worked-around.

HDS lights are great for everyday use and severe use, but if you have to take out the battery before storing it to make sure the battery won't run-down in the meantime, that's a problem. It means you have to open the battery compartment more often, and electrical components become vulnerable to contamination or breakage when the light is open. It also means a family member who grabs it might think it's ready to use, only to find it does nothing when they click the switch. What if you drop it in a puddle while installing the battery and the software switch starts to malfunction? What if the switch wire that runs through the inside of the battery tube and sticks out the end gets bent, or worse, gets caught on something and torn loose? Or what if the switch boot simply wears-out during long-term use? If you have some very long needlenose pliers to remove the switch from the inside, a butane soldering iron, a spool of wire, and a reasonably clean place to work on it, you could probably fix it, or a friend with soldering expertise could fix it for you. But that's a big "if". Personally, for a SHTF scenario, I'd want a flashlight that I could disassemble as completely as possible with minimal tools, but I'd also want to be able to leave it fully-assembled with batteries installed at all times so it's ready to use the instant I need it. My HDS would still be the light clipped into my pocket when I hear the air-raid sirens go off, but I'd want a simpler, easier-to-repair backup packed in my bag, in case I find myself still living in the woods months later.

EDIT: I realize the Olight S1A's that I mentioned in my previous post don't meet the requirements I just listed above. That's why they are in the gloveboxes of our cars, and not in my emergency bag. ;)

Last edited:

archimedes

Flashaholic
Re: What about BOB? HDS lighting and batteries for "Oh CRAP!"

I have a "layered" system ... smaller gear bags are more readily to hand, and get me to bigger bags with more gear :grin2:

The inner ring includes a Maxpedition Fatty FAK that includes an HCRI-100 Ra Clicky 123 and another flashlight (which was recently changed to a Jetusolis AAA 5000K 99CRI) plus an Anemone containing a toolkit.

Travel kit is in a NeatFreak which adds the Peak Logan 17500 + adapters + multiple batteries, as well as a SF E1B.

Multiple Maxpedition Attaches have more substantial gear, including larger torches, for when needed.

Yes, I've been through some events including earth (quake) air (tornado) fire (wild) water (hurricane)

Last edited:

Sos24

Enlightened
What about BOB? HDS lighting and batteries for "Oh CRAP!"

My go bag has 3 flashlights, only one being an HDS (Rotary with a CR123). I also have a NItecore SRT3 because with adapter it can use CR123, AA, and all their comparable rechargeable. I also include a Dorcy 9v, because of the long run time and even when stores are running low in emergencies 9v tend to be the last still available.

As far as batteries I have 3 CR123 primaries and 2 x 16340s with micro usb port built-in and 8 x eneloop AA (also for radio).

For recharging I have a GoalZero Nomad 7 with Guide 10. USB can plug directly into the Nomad. The Guide 10 can be used to charge AA or as a power pack to charge from USB.

I have been considering an HDS Executive with 2 x AA tube, but haven't gotten there yet.

Last edited:

Johnnyh

Enlightened
I admit it...I'm not very prepared for a disaster but I do bring my man-purse with me every time I go any substantial distance from home...it contains a first gen Leatherman Supertool, a fire starter, an HDS clicky, 4 cr123 batteries, a Malkoff single AA, 4 Enelopp Pros, a folding Kershaw, a compass and a small first aid kit. I realize none of this will get me through an apocalypse...I worry more about getting car wrecked and stuck in one of these God-awful northeast blizzards...
On the parasitic drain thing...The last thing I ever think about is parasitic drain on my HDS lights. I have a few (more than is reasonable or sane). I leave batteries in all of them, ready for use. However, some don't get used for weeks at a time and still have plenty of output. As far as I can tell, the drain really is a non-issue.

I had been considering converting one of the Rotaries to the AA tube for a long time now and finally pulled the trigger on a raised button a few hours ago. I like the almost universal availability of AA cells and the robust nature of the HDS AA tube. It will replace the cr123 clicky in the man-purse and it'll contain a pair of Ultimate Lithium's.

lion504

Flashlight Enthusiast
Now I'm confused about what kind of lights you can talk about in a "specifically HDS" BOB light thread...

Last edited:

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
The parasitic drain in a late model HDS is nearly imperceptible compared to a battery sitting on a shelf. If it is not, there is a problem and the light needs to come back to HDS and get looked at. There was a discussion of this in the main thread around March of last year.

As far as what lights to discuss, I think it's fine to talk about any other lights you may have that are part of the kit as well. I didn't go into my other lights as I was focusing on a long term (power down) light solution and what I ultimately came up with for the BOB... One is none, and two is .1 so...

I would also suggest for one's gear, if you have a lot of it, to keep a written inventory of what is in each kit... which reminds me I have to update my BOB list. I had so many people ask me over the years what I carry, I made the list with links to the manufacturers web page or web store where it could be purchased. I even do this with EDC gear as it is much easier to email a friend a copy and let them look up the things themselves.

[FONT=&quot]On Person[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Left front pocket[/FONT]

1. Victorinox MiniChamp Alox
  2. Tritium Key Fob
  3. County Comm Peanut Lighter (filled with ibuprofen)
  4. County Comm Split Pea Lighter
  5. Titanium Widgy Pry Bar
  6. Stainless steel tweezers
  7. County Comm Split Pea Lighter (filled with allergy meds)
  8. P38 Can Opener
  9. 4 Sevens Titanium Atom Flashlight (discontinued)
  10. 4 Sevens Titanium Whistle
  11. Vargo Titanium Flint Lighter
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]In Wallet (which attaches to belt)[/FONT]

1. Readyman Hostage Escape Card
  2. Readyman Wilderness Survival Card
  3. Fresnel Lens
  4. Spare car key
  5. 4Sevens Preon P1 MKIII
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]On belt[/FONT]

1. Pistol (model varies with activity but always there)
  2. Spare magazines
  3. HDS EDC Rotary Flashlight with spare battery in leather holster
  4. Leatherman Charge TTi with bit kit in leather holster
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Left back pocket[/FONT]

1. Folding locking knife (which knife depends on activity)

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: What about BOB? HDS lighting and batteries for "Oh CRAP!"

I have a "layered" system ... smaller gear bags are more readily to hand, and get me to bigger bags with more gear :grin2:

The inner ring includes a Maxpedition Fatty FAK that includes an HCRI-100 Ra Clicky 123 and another flashlight (which was recently changed to a Jetusolis AAA 5000K 99CRI) plus an Anemone containing a toolkit.

Travel kit is in a NeatFreak which adds the Peak Logan 17500 + adapters + multiple batteries, as well as a SF E1B.

Multiple Maxpedition Attaches have more substantial gear, including larger torches, for when needed.

Yes, I've been through some events including earth (quake) air (tornado) fire (wild) water (hurricane)

I used to use the Fatty FAK... great bag but I ran out of room! Layered systems are always best. I've not experienced a hurricane... just typhoons (Achmed the dead terrorist: "location, location, location"). Had some tornados pretty close to the house a few centuries ago when living in Minnesota and a few on the farm in North Dakota, but none were close enough to take out buildings.

Here is the list and links for my BOB. I need to update it as a few things have changed, but it's 99% correct.

img-0485.jpg

[FONT=&quot]Hazard 4 Plan B Sing Pack[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Attached to outside of sling pack (need it now gear)[/FONT]

1. Cold Steel Spike Scimitar
  2. ArmyTek Wizard headlamp
  3. 4 Sevens Preon (2AAA light)
  4. Leatherman Rebar in leather belt pouch
  5. 50ft Parachute Cord on Drop Line
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Top Front Pouch of sling pack. (basic first aid)[/FONT]

1. Assortment of band aides
  2. Hearing protection (foam, 5 pairs)
  3. Aspirin, Ibuprofen, Imodium, ect.
  4. Vasaline
  5. Nyguil tabs
  6. Mole skin
  7. Cotton pads
  8. Insect repellant
  9. Over head insect net
  10. Lupe 10x
  11. Nitrile gloves
  12. Aluminium foil
  13. Mylar emergency bag
  14. Petzl e-LIGHT headlamp
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Bottom Front Pouch of sling pack[/FONT]

1. Swarovski CL Pocket 10x25 (seeing things far away can keep you away from danger)
  2. Reading glasses (2 pair because not seeing things in front of you sucks)
  3. Glasses cleaning solution
  4. Glasses cleaning bag
  5. Glasses cleaning cloth
  6. Coghlan's Flint Striker
  7. Bic Lighter
  8. Grand Trunk collapsable chop sticks
  9. 12 Vargo Titanium Nail Pegs
  10. SnowPeak titanium spork
  11. Pocket Chain Saw
  12. Ceramic knife sharpener
  13. County Comm Micro Grappling Hook
  14. 25 ft Uncle Mac's Sportsman Utility Cord
  15. Powerfilms solar foldable AA battery charger
  16. 4 Eneloop AA Batteries
  17. HDS EDC Executive 2AA Flashlight
  18. HDS Rotary 2AA Flashlight
  19. HDS 123 executive tube
  20. HDS 123 Rotary tube
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Right Bottom Pouch of sling pack (Broadside(TM) 9" X 5" Large Utility Pouch w/ MOLLE by Hazard 4[/FONT]

1. Katadyne Mini water filter with cleaning kit
  2. MSR prefiler
  3. Antigravity Micro Start PPS
  4. Olight USB magnetic USB charger
  5. 8 CR123 batteries in carriers
  6. 4 Eneloop Pro AA batteries
  7. 4 Energizer L91 lithium batteries
  8. Tinfoil
  9. Pen flares (military surplus)
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Left Bottom Pouch of sling pack (Jelly Roll) Lens/Scope/Bottle Padded Case w/ MOLLE by Hazard 4[/FONT]

1. Vargo Titanium BOT
  2. Vargo Titanium Pot Lifter
  3. Sawyer Mini Water Filtration System
  4. MSR MIOX water purifier (discontinued)
  5. AOR Power Survival Water Filter Straw
  6. Berkey SPTREP Replacement Filter for GSPRT Sports Bottle
  7. Rehydration salts
  8. 1 ounce pure silver ingot (keeps water fresh)
  9. 2 one ounce bottles Everclear (clean wounds, use in stove, or drink if things are really bad)
  10. 1 ounce salt
  11. Keychain duct tape
  12. Vargo Triad Alcohol Stove
  13. Lupe 15x
  14. 10 Micropur MP1 tablets
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Left Top pouch of sling pack (poop got real bad)[/FONT]

1. Sawyer Extractor Pump
  2. The rest of the kit is military improved IFAK (major injury)
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Sling Pack inside of main compartment[/FONT]

1. Ottorbox dry box
  2. Vasaline and cotton balls in tobacco tin and again in waterproof match container
  3. Windmill Stormproof Lighter
  4. Signal Mirror
  5. Readyman Hostage Escape Card (good for lots of things)
  6. Eyeglass screwdriver
  7. Knot tying cards
  8. County Comm Brass Flint Wheel
  9. 6 Hexamine tablets
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Sling Pack Main Compartment (try to keep mostly empty so you can adjust)[/FONT]

1. 50/50 64 ounce growler (full of water) (Summer Only as it takes up all extra space)
  2. Shemagh 100% cotton still in packaging
  3. Foxelli Camping Hammock (also shelter or wrap yourself in it)
  4. Vargo Titanium Hex Stove
  5. SOS Food Labs SOScin1pk S.O.S. Rations Emergency 3600 Calorie Cinnamon Flavor Food Bar - 3 Day/72 Hour Package with 5 Year Shelf Life
  6. Benchmade Saddle Mountain Hunter
  7. MSR 4 Liter Dromedary Bag
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Sling Pack Hydration Compartment (rear hidden)[/FONT]

1. Kel-Tek PMR 30 (Loaded) with Holster (PMR 30 modified with tritium sights)
  2. 3 Kel-Tek PMR 30 Magazines (loaded) with mag pouches
[FONT=&quot]

The event that started me down this road in 1995.
Made quite a noise when the expressway came down. I lived a block to the left of this expressway and walked under it to the train station every day... well, not THAT day.

img-7389.jpg

A much younger Hogo...
img-7388.jpg

[/FONT]

Last edited:

mckeand13

Flashlight Enthusiast
What about BOB?

I have hesitated starting a thread regarding "BOBs", "War Bags", "Grab and Go" bags or emergency/preparedness gear as it probably has a better chance of going off the rails and getting closed faster than a "Pocket Dump" thread. So, let's start simple and just deal with lighting… Specifically HDS and what battery options you have picked and why for your kit. Let me repeat… Specifically for HDS and what battery options you have picked and why for an emergency kit.

Why in the HDS subform? Because MOST of the folks here have discerning taste and research the snot out of things and value quality regardless of cost. Others who may be reading, please don't take this as a "diss" as it is not. There are folks who simply want the best regardless of cost, and their definition of "value" is different from one who carries a cheap light light because they might lose it or it can be easily replaced or any number of other justifications. This is specifically about HDS and what battery options you have picked for a BOB or emergency kit and why and any long term battery solutions you may have. Do I need to repeat that again? I probably do but I won't.

First, let me explain my BOB. I look at BOB like my grandmother's purse. That sucker had everything in it. I consider what is on my person as "Vital gear" and what is in BOB as "Essential Gear". There is some overlap, and that being said, I have specific gear in the vehicles for both winter and summer, and "home" gear. There is a ton of redundancy. There are also "giveaway" BOBs which contain great gear that was once in the BOB, but has been replaced with better or higher quality gear. This way I can toss "Elder BOB" to someone who might need it if I am home.

So, what I have come up with for my BOB. Now, my BOB is really my shadow. It doesn't sit in a corner. If I leave the house traveling further than I can walk home in an hour, BOB comes with me. Why? Let's just say one only has to experience a major earthquake once in their life and carry a dead friend to a make-shift hospital for a lasting impression. Living without electricity for a couple months helps. Great experience if you live through it. Yes, I plan for the worst… not just earthquakes but perhaps an attacking mob of undead mutant brain eating congresswomen as well.

So, besides always carrying an HDS Rotary in 123 flavor on my person, there are 2 more HDS lights in the BOB. Both are of the 2AA variety, one an Executive and the other a Rotary. There is also a spare Rotary 123 battery tube with raised button and a spare Executive tail with flush button. While I prefer raised tails, both of these 2AA have flush, the reason being I don't want any accidental activation either in the bag or in use.

Reasons for picking the 2AA format is more than just the battery type. The HDS 2AA tube is much thicker and stronger than either the 123 or 18680 tube and is, in fact, less prone to a malfunction than the 18680 tube because of how the signal wire is installed. It is also long enough to use in conjunction with kubaton and pain compliance techniques if one is familiar with them (another reason for the flush button instead of the raised is that when one is raking the tail of the light down someone's sternum, you don't run the risk of the button snagging and getting dislodged). Try it sometime… but on someone you don't like.

I keep 12 spare AA batteries in the BOB. 4 Eneloop 4th Gen NiMH 1900 mAh, 4 Eneloop Pro 2550 mAh, and 4 Energizer L91 lithium batteries. There are also 8 Duracell primary 123s.

What's the difference between the Eneloop Pro and 4th Gen Eneloop? As is everything, there are trade offs. Other than the capacity difference, the Gen 4 can be recharged up 2100 times… the Pro only 500. In real life, once you reach about 250 charges, the Gen 4 have more capacity than the Pro. Honestly, if things have gotten that bad… I was probably already bit by one of the walking dead and I'm foaming at the mouth spouting unintelligible gibberish about economics. But I digress.

Both 2AA HDS lights have Eneloop Pro 2550 mAh batteries in them.

As part of the "lighting" aspect of the BOB, there is a PowerFilm Solar USB+AA foldable solar charger. I prefer this to their older one. The previous version would charge 4 AA batteries, however the new one has a cover that locks the batteries in, so if the charger is tied to the back of the BOB, there is much less likelihood of the batteries popping out and getting lost. The USB port is a nice option, but it uses the 2 AA batteries in the charger to do this… options are always good to have though. I chose the tan color for the charger as I don't want black absorbing the Arizona suns heat and transferring it to the batteries.

Along with this I have an AntiGravity PPS and Olight Magnetic Universal charger, but these are for other "things" in the BOB that I won't get into here.

I would say if you want to pack real light, 2 Gen 4 Eneloop batteries in the PowerFilm and 2 in the HDS would cover most anything… as long as you live where the sun shines most of the time.

Hogo,

What do you carry all of this in or how do you carry it? Seems like a lot of stuff. Is this just in the car with you or are you carrying it at times?

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Goes in the car with me wherever I go.
It's in a Hazard 4 Plan B sling pack. The main compartment is actually 3/4 empty unless I put a 1/2 gallon of water in there. I prefer a sling pack as I have a steel plate and several screws on my right clavicle.
In post 18 above there is a photo and links to everything.

Last edited: