Live Aurora Borealis Webcam

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
Here's a live webcam viewing the Aurora Borealis (Northern Lights) located at Mt. Aurora, Fairbanks Creek Lodge in Fairbanks, Alaska (The premier aurora viewing location in the world!)

Click on "Aurora Webcam", left side of screen. Additionally for EXCELLENT photo & video galleries, click on appropriate links at left of screen.

Keep in mind weather will hinder viewing, there are daily notes and updates as to when viewing is/was best. Webcam broadcasts from 1900 to approximately 0630 Alaska time. A convenient digital clock with your local time and GMT is provided at the right side of the webcam page. I think the folks in Europe would be getting excellent pics due to the time difference (as that's when I'll be sleeping and missing the show!).

I thought this site certainly warranted sharing with all!! Enjoy!

6pOriginal

Enlightened
I always wanted to see this in real life...so far I still have no chance and seems like I am stuck in the deep south /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif anyway, how bright is the Aurora actually is? Is it bright enough to say lit up the road for a night walk?

AlphaTea

Enlightened
My experiences with Northern Lights:
I lived in Anchorage in the early '70's for about 4 years. I got tho see the light show during the winter on occasion if the sky was clear. Most of the time (when I saw them) they were low on the horizon and quite a ways off. They reminded me of a curtain with the bottom ripped and jagged. Really beautiful reds and greens. Sometimes quite bright, altho I dont think they would cause you to cast a shadow.

I do remember one "show" that was quite spectacular. It was directly overhead and lasted for quite a while. It was white at the center and radiated in all directions. On the edges where it petered out it turned to a pale green. The eerie thing about this was that it made a crackling sound like electricity. Most people will tell you that the A.B. doesnt make any sound. I heard it and I dont care if anybody believes it or not. Any way, I will remember that night as long as I live.
The best way to describe it is natural fireworks. Better than lightning!

BugLightGeek

Flashlight Enthusiast
I lived in Canada (Alberta & NORTHERN British Columbia) for a couple years and I saw some great shows. They always seem to be at their brightest when it's the coldest /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif

I've seen some georgous colors but /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif never heard them. That would have been cool!!