Haylo Emergency Power LED Light Bulb

JAS

Flashlight Enthusiast
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0797S6DTQ/?tag=cpf0b6-20

A quick search at Amazon found these. I might do a more exhaustive search to see what else is out there.

I know when I bought some 120 volt outlets, with built in USB charging ports, the prices were all over AND the specifications for the USB ports were all over the place.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
You'd think the Amazon employee would think to look there, duh. That's awesome that it's warm tint, if we had power outages I'd get at least a pack of those..

yuandrew

Flashlight Enthusiast
They've been around for a little while already. A friend on a street lighting forum that I frequently visit has the version that Feit Electric sells at Home Depot under the "IntelliBulb" branding.

https://www.feit.com/products/bulbs/intellibulb-battery-backup-600-lumen-2700k-led-a19/

https://www.lighting-gallery.net/gallery/displayimage.php?album=229&pos=12&pid=145657

It recharges whenever the light is on (you'll want to use it a few hours a day to keep the internal battery fully charged) During an outage, it works by sensing a path between hot (bottom contact) and neutral (screw) through other loads in the house. This does require the light switch feeding the fixture to be turned to the "on" position to provide a complete path for the circuitry to sense and come on during an outage. It's also why it couldn't be used on a circuit with multiple bulbs/sockets as it would sense through the other bulbs' filament/ballast/circuitry when the switch is off and stay lit in "emergency" mode
The Feit battery backup bulb didn't come with the hook socket like the other two products mentioned above but all that does is just connect the screw part to the bottom contact. A piece of aluminum foil wrapped over base allowed me to use it as a flashlight. It only lasted roughly an hour vs the 3 it mentioned on the package when we tried it out like that although I don't think it was fully charged at the time. My friend mentioned to me that the standard for emergency lighting was a minimum of 90 minutes

One could also get it to turn on by gripping the base tightly with a wet/sweaty hand or by putting the base in one's mouth (Rick did an "Uncle Fester" with the bulb)

JAS

Flashlight Enthusiast
If I do get some, I have to think a bit on where I would use these. For example, if I have lost power, it is probably because of severe thunderstorms or tornadoes. And, in that case, the family and I might be in the basement. So, one or two of those down there might not be such a bad idea.

And, of course, as any good CPF "flashaholic", I have flashlights. However, if the family is gathered and there is no power, having an overhead light might be nice. The chances are we would be watching local news on our smartphones!

Ken_McE

Flashlight Enthusiast
For $40 (US) I get a six hour emergency light? Hmm. What do I have to do to maintain it? How does it know when the power goes out? Do I have to leave it turned on all the time? Does it require a certain kind of set up as regards to what else is plugged in to its circuit? Can I carry it around by hand? Can I turn it off when it is activated?

Listing leaves out important information.

Judgement reserved.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Re: Feit Electric 40-Watt Equivalent Soft White IntelliBulb Battery Backup LED Light

So they have a backup battery in them and when power goes out they turn on? I LIKE THAT!!

broadgage

Enlightened
Re: Feit Electric 40-Watt Equivalent Soft White IntelliBulb Battery Backup LED Light

I purchased several of this style of lamp for 240 volt supply from UK fleabay. One of them went bang, the others worked fine initially but all failed after about a year, potentially useful but not IME durable or reliable.

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast

A proprietary lithium ion battery setup for emergency lighting that will probably not work right in a few years or less? I don't think so, especially for that price.

This is one of the reasons why we carry flashlights in the first place... emergency lighting.