The Fenix-Store        
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: Introducing Mockbug: The story of my first flashlight build.

Default Re: Introducing Mockbug: The story of my first flashlight build.

Sorry. Can’t help myself
    (This is an experiment that's extra polished)

And here's a link to the sales thread.
    https://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...72#post5329472

Last edited by AER-Lights; 08-16-2019 at 12:14 PM.

So... shiny...

That thing is bad ass. The movie really brings it to life.
    17 is 11, 11 is 6, 6 is 3 and 3 is none. Also it's good to have some backups.

Uhhhh…. I forgot to put in the text that the one in the “movie” is extra polished and is an experiment for myself. (I’ve updated it now.)

And as always... thank you Wosser.

This light is gorgeous! Any chance of a Titanium or Aluminum version? Living in Hawaii, I'm very cautious of purchasing anything made out of steel as when the electro nickel plating wears or gets scratched, it will quickly rust here.
    Cheers from the McGizmo state.

Thank you maxspeeds that’s very kind.

Any chance of a Titanium or Aluminum version?
    Let me put it this way. I need a brake. At this point i’m not even convinced i’ll ever do another run.
    And if so it is likely to be a different light. The design would likely be similar but still.

While i do appreciate your concern in regards to the Steel Nickel combination i must admit i don’t share it. I live about a couple of kilometers from the shore up here in northern Europe and it’s built to withstand the rigors of our environment.
    As i was doing the "Post Apocalyptic" finish i had to first plate the lights, then plug up the holes and strip the Nickel from the outside. Knowing what that took i'm not really concerned with the durability of the plating. Well i mean if you sandblast it and leave it in the ocean for a week you're obviously going to have problems but still.
    The environment in Hawaii may be worse but ours is not California

Having said that this light being a mule doesn’t really have any throw so primary uses would be around the house, in the car or lighting the ground to see where you’re going.
    This is actually the first mule i ever owned and around the house it’s in my opinion nothing short of brilliant. You get a really wide field of view with virtually no hot-spot making it ideal for close quarter kinda things.
    Although one is never encouraged to use your own product last i really used it was in a vertical installation duct.
    It’s been a pain every time i had to do anything in there (Normally using an SF E2L) because there’s no space and i normally either get “blinded” by the hot-spot or there’s not enough spill to see what’s going on.

BTW: this is actually a chemical Nickel Phosphorus plating. It's harder and more abrasion resistant than electroplated nickel.

If there's anything else i can do to alleviate your concerns please let me know.
    Last edited by AER-Lights; 08-17-2019 at 12:17 AM.

The Mockbug arrived today and it’s awesome!! You just don’t realize how compact it is until you have it in hand. Below is a couple of pics next to a McGizmo Mule and an E1e, which are already very compact lights. I just love the shape and how it fits in the hand. Very well finished and smooth. No hard edges. And the dimple grip pattern is a pleasure to run your fingers over. Thank you AER-lights for sharing your story and letting us see this come to fruition.

Last edited by badtziscool; 08-27-2019 at 09:46 PM.
    Who needs to see the light at the end of the tunnel when you have friends on CPF?
    My flashlight videos: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list...9TIYcGeuBXa5m0

@ Badtziscool
    The Mockbug arrived today and it’s awesome!!
    That is just about the ultimate reply and much more than i had dared to hope for.
    THANK YOU!

That’s some mighty fine company in those pictures.

Thank you AER-lights for sharing your story and letting us see this come to fruition
    Not that i think you doubt this but it’s been my pleasure. And i'm still overwhelmed by the support and help from you guys on this project.
    Last edited by AER-Lights; 09-01-2019 at 09:01 AM.

Default Mockbug reflector mod

With things coming along nicely in the sales thread. Ehh ok... It might have stagnated a bit but we’ll see what happens i figured it was time to complicate things again

The thing is that in context quite a few of you have suggested, requested, wanted a reflector light instead of a mule. (Btw. most of this was by PM)
    And going into that leaves me with a couple of options.

1. I can go back and redesign the whole thing to accommodate a reflector. (As i have stated earlier as well)
    2. I can try to come up with a big honking shoehorn and attempt to make it fit.

At this point in time i’m not really a fan of option a. so i guess option b. is what we’ll do

The problem in a nutshell is to make the reflector (2) fit in the space of the LED “cover” (3) using only the space i can steal from the pill (4) + whatever is left over from the cover (3).

I did some mockup testing to get an idea of the throw vs. spill of the reflector i ordered and to my surprise it seems to be pretty much spot on. Off-cause it has a lot less spill than a mule but if i compare it to something like an SF E2L (KX2) which used to be my go to light it has a lot more spill so as a compromise I think we’re good.
    I figure i should mention that i always believed that the KX2 has too much throw and not enough spill.

This should be a fun challenge

I’ll let you know how this turns out. But it’s likely to be a while.
    Last edited by AER-Lights; 09-08-2019 at 01:21 AM.

Definitely looking forward to seeing the progression of this one. Good luck and have fun!
    Who needs to see the light at the end of the tunnel when you have friends on CPF?

Nicely done AER-Lights, the Mockbug looks like a gem.

If space is at a premium would you consider an optic? There are some low profile optics (e.g., Fenix E16) that throw much like traditional reflectors.

I think "option b."- shoehorning would be a great idea. Particularly if you make retrofit kits available for both the remaining lights and those already sold. You would have the start of a "system" of lights with interchangeable engines/reflectors and keep existing customers coming back for more!

GLWS, sub'd and following.
    "may you live light and phosphor" - Mr. Spark

Is it modding if you’re changing your own design? Or would that be development

The initial stage of this went a lot faster than i had anticipated.
    In addition to adding the reflector the power was upped from 0,7 amp to 1.0 amp which should theoretically translate into approx. 360 lumens at maximum "umph".
    I also changed the driver code to be a two mode only. High and Low.

1. Centering the LED is a bit fiddly but doable as Obviously i don't have a centering jig for this experiment.
    2. I may have developed a thermal problem but further testing will show. (Further testing showed this not to be the case)
    3. There's an odd anomaly in the hot-spot i need to figure out where comes from. It might be down to centering. (Centering issue which is now sorted)
    4. Had to cut down a winding on the switch spring. (not much i can do about that)
    5. It will no longer take over-sized e.g. long protected 16340 cells. (not much i can do about that)

But other than that it’s pretty much a drop-in kit (Yes... highly inspired by pc_lights comment)

The driver now extends a bit into the body tube. I needed another 3mm or so.
    And the wires are now thinner but double as that means i can route them around components within the pill.

@ Badtziscool
    Thank you. And i guess i’m sorry but for now it’s pretty much sorted. Unless off-cause i choose to go with pc_Lights suggestion.

@ pc_light
    Thank you!
    Yes i would indeed consider an optic. I’ll have to look into that.
    I think "option b."- shoehorning would be a great idea. Particularly if you make retrofit kits available for both the remaining lights and those already sold. You would have the start of a "system" of lights with interchangeable engines/reflectors and keep existing customers coming back for more!
    That’s actually a pretty interesting concept. Thank you.
    Last edited by AER-Lights; 09-08-2019 at 01:40 AM.

Quick update.
    Had to go back and verify the anomaly in the hot-spot.
    Simple... LED alignment.
    Once centered it came together just fine

Best
    /ÆR

Comments:
    I updated the “reflector mod post” but i forgot to mention that since this is designed to add some throw to the light i figured i should up the power a bit as well. It’s now running 1 amp at maximum which should translate into approximately 360.

The code is also updated to run two mode. Low and high as to me at least moonlight doesn’t make much sense with this mod.

Although it seemed simple from the post above a lot of time went into this mod and due to the construction there’s not much room for efficiency gains if more are to be built.

Testing:
    Worrying that the mod had an inherent thermal problem i went off and did a bunch of testing. Basically i “dumped” four battery charges through it in continuation and in the end that turned out to be pretty boring.
    The light and engine handled it with no issues what so ever

So at this point all i would need to do is come up with a LED and Reflector centering jig and that’s about it.

If any of you guys want this send me a PM.
    If there’s enough interest i’ll build a small batch and we'll off-cause process it through the WTS thread.

At this point all i have to add is that "well this was good fun" And it would seem that shoehorns really do come in big versions

Best
    /ÆR
    Last edited by AER-Lights; 09-08-2019 at 01:44 AM.

Default Re: Mockbug reflector mod

Regarding the comments about reflectors, I'm not sure if you have already tried this but instead of adding optics, how about removing the silicone dome from the LED? Does that cause the beam to throw a little?
    17 is 11, 11 is 6, 6 is 3 and 3 is none. Also it's good to have some backups.

Quote Originally Posted by wosser View Post
    Regarding the comments about reflectors, I'm not sure if you have already tried this but instead of adding optics, how about removing the silicone dome from the LED? Does that cause the beam to throw a little?
    Typically, slicing the dome off of an LED helps with tightening up the beam profile, but you still need to have some mechanism to focus the light forward. A de-domed/flat-dome led would still be pretty floody without an optic or reflector.

Thank you guys for the suggestion and rebate on dome slicing.
    As suggested i’ve been looking into lenses including regular domed optics as well as lenses based on the Fresnel principle.

I do have a bit of background knowledge in optics. Not a ton but still.
    You need some distance between the emitter and the lens for any of them to work and at this size from what i can tell it turns out it doesn’t matter much in regards to the complete length of the system if it’s a reflector or a lens. Although i might be able to pick up a couple of millimeters with a “tuned” lens.

@ badtziscool
    This however makes me really curious about the “Fenix E16” any way you could try to assess if the lens is actually cone shaped?

Anyways… i ordered more reflectors as i figure I’ll do a couple of reflector lights and post those in the WTS post.

Not too sure what you’re asking about. The E16 looks like it uses some sort of optic to shape its beam profile. So there should be some inherent curve/shape to it to efficiently capture all of the light from the led. Is that what you’re referring to?

Quote Originally Posted by AER-Lights View Post
    As suggested i’ve been looking into lenses including regular domed optics as well as lenses based on the Fresnel principle.

You need some distance between the emitter and the lens for any of them to work and at this size from what i can tell it turns out it doesn’t matter much in regards to the complete length of the system if it’s a reflector or a lens. Although i might be able to pick up a couple of millimeters with a “tuned” lens.

@ badtziscool
    This however makes me really curious about the “Fenix E16” any way you could try to assess if the lens is actually cone shaped?

Anyways… i ordered more reflectors as i figure I’ll do a couple of reflector lights and post those in the WTS post.

@ badtziscool

I've found with reflectors and optics the difference between a smooth pattern and artifacts is less than .01" or even less for a focal point on the emitter. Even with a rule of thumb of the injection molds (or pdf schematics) created for popular optic seating it still has to be tinkered with. In my opinion, the useful light is paramount to the pattern on a wall and I can appreciate the engineering more than the beam pattern - just imo.

@ badtziscool
    Badtzicool wasn't sure because actually I was the one to mention the Fenix Lens in the post just prior to his.

Here is an image from Fenix marketing literature about the lens. -

The lens is almost pancake like in shape rather than conical and it produces a beam more like a reflector than that from a Fresnel lens. They do work but the issue is where to source them
    "may you live light and phosphor" - Mr. Spark

Ahhh. I understand now. Yeah that would be perfect in this application but you’re right. The question now is where it can be sourced.

Quote Originally Posted by pc_light View Post
    Badtzicool wasn't sure because actually I was the one to mention the Fenix Lens in the post just prior to his.

Here is an image from Fenix marketing literature about the lens. -

The lens is almost pancake like in shape rather than conical and it produces a beam more like a reflector than that from a Fresnel lens. They do work but the issue is where to source them

Apologies for the absence my day job took over for a while there

Thank you guys for chiming in.

This was the exact question and answer i was looking for.
    And you’re right. Where to source those???
    I’ve been searching high and low but apparently my Google Fu isn’t strong enough so if any of you find them please let me know.

Also my brain wandered a bit and i started thinking about a “reverse Maksutov” optic.
    Although i have absolutely no idea how i would do that in the real world but it would make for an interesting experiment.

But ultimately a 3mm lens like on the Fenix would solve the problem.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456