• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Oveready boss 35 help

Stang Bladeworks

Newly Enlightened
I just got an oveready boss 35 in the mail. Out of the box it worked great but now only the red led comes on. I have tried multiple batteries. I am hoping its just in a wierd mode. I figured if anybody knows it would be the people here. Thanks for your help.

Last edited:

archimedes

Flashaholic
If the batteries are good, and it has not been programmed to "single mode / red" ... that would be abnormal.

This thread would get better attention in either "LED flashlights" or "Oveready" forum, do you have a preference ?

Stang Bladeworks

Newly Enlightened
The bounce is set to off. I have tried to reprogram the light. The program was saved successfully but the only LED that seems to work is the red one. When this whole problem started the regular LEDs were operational but would not stay on. They were acting strange. I assumed the battery was dead but changing the battery did not help. I will try and re program again but I fear something may be wrong. Thanks everyone for your help.

archimedes

Flashaholic
If the light literally will not stay lit, that sounds more like a contact issue of some sort.

Will move this to "Oveready" for you ....

archimedes

Flashaholic
More details about your batteries please ... brand / size / chemistry, protected or not, button top or flat top ? Can you check a voltage for us ?

Is your BOSS Ti or Al (or something else) ? Threads cleaned and relubricated ?

Does the red secondary ever stay lit (steady) ?

Any flicker ? Any rattle ?

Last edited:

Stang Bladeworks

Newly Enlightened
More details about your batteries please ... brand / size / chemistry, protected or not, button top or flat top ?

Is your BOSS Ti or Al (or something else) ? Threads cleaned and relubricated ?

Does the red secondary ever stay lit (steady) ?

Any flicker ? Any rattle ?

I have tried two types of batteries
efest imr 700mah 10.5A
keepower 1200mah 15A (this is what overready recommended to me)

the batteries are flat top

the light is black anodized aluminum

threads are clean and lubed (light is brand new)

the red secondary does stay lit consistently (I was incorrect before stating that it was only momentary)

no flickering or rattle

The light appears to be cycling through the modes but the LEDs are not working. when going through the modes I get red, nothing, nothing, nothing, red again.

I have re programmed the light now with my phone and my computer. Both times the program has taken. (the dim red led goes out after the video sequence has played). same result.

archimedes

Flashaholic
I think your batteries may be bad.

Can you successfully reprogram so that each mode is very low drain ? Like (for example) lumens of ~ red / 2 / 5 / 15 ? Probably want to leave red mode up first for now.

Can you check a voltage on the cells ? Maybe even try the built-in voltmeter function ?

Are these 18350 size ?

Last edited:

Stang Bladeworks

Newly Enlightened
To verify my programming is working I set up all 4 modes to red. The program worked and now all 4 modes are red. So far it just seems like the main LEDs do not work. I have reached out to overready and I am hopeful they can help me out. If anyone can think of anything else to try please let me know. It also seems difficult to enter programming mode. I'm not sure if there is a time that must elapse before you can reprogram again but it seems inconsistent. I have to try a bunch of times before the light enters the mode successfully. I have also tried removing and re installing the battery, this doesn't seem to help. I'm not sure if this is normal, could very well be me. I am new to these high end flashlights so its very possible this is all some user error on my part.

Stang Bladeworks

Newly Enlightened
OK, I have 5 batteries, i will try them all and report back. For what its worth they are all brand new and freshly charged. They are from 2 different brands and from 2 different stores.

Stang Bladeworks

Newly Enlightened
I think your batteries may be bad.

Can you successfully reprogram so that each mode is very low drain ? Like (for example) lumens of ~ red / 2 / 5 / 15 ? Probably want to leave red mode up first for now.

Can you check a voltage on the cells ? Maybe even try the built-in voltmeter function ?

Are these 18350 size ?

I tested one battery with my fluke meter and it is 4.132VDC. I tried using the built in voltmeter but it relies on the primary LEDs so I just got nothing for a bit then 1 red LED, im guessing that means 4.1VDC. All of the batteries are 18350 size. I did reprogram to red then the 3 lowest settings 1.5, 2, 3mw. I got the same result. I have tried all 5 fully charged batteries in the light with the same result.

Stang Bladeworks

Newly Enlightened
If you purchased new direct from Oveready, I'm sure customer service will help you get things sorted out.

I did and I suspect you are right. I researched their customer service prior to ordering. I just hope it is a quick process. I am also curious as to what the cause of this is. It kind of bothers me that the light was fully functional and then stopped working after a day or two of very light use. The light was never bumped or dropped and it was only on for maybe 10 minutes total since I owned it.

archimedes

Flashaholic
No i think thats it. Thanks for your help. Seems like a great community here.

You're welcome and, as mentioned above, Oveready is known for their customer service.

They are a very small organization, so it can sometimes take a while for a response, but they are actively involved here on CPF.

These particular light engines have a lot of tech packed into a very small space. There are testimonials here on CPF as to their reliability and durability, but no electronics are fail-proof. I have had a half-dozen or so of these, and most have been rock-solid, but I do have one (not a BOSS) that I can no longer (re-)program.

Last edited:

fyrstormer

Banned
Does anyone know whether the main LEDs are connected in-parallel or in-series? If they're connected in-series, then a single bad LED, or even bad solder joint, would cause all the main LEDs to go dark.

This thread has inspired me to put my shelf-queen BOSS 35 through more-rigorous testing, just in case. It would suck to start using it regularly years from now and discover it has a similar problem that didn't manifest in the first few minutes.

Last edited: