is there a way to update my tablet from android 6 to 9?

raggie33

*the raggedier*
it is a zte 10 inch tablet with celluar and a huge battery so i want to keep it. but its last update was android 6. is there a way to install 9 on it?

Empath

Flashaholic
Android updates are pushed to the products at the discretion of the manufacturers and their schedules, generally. Contacting ZTE may be the best way of dealing with it, and then it may be a useless effort.

fyrstormer

Banned
Look for instructions online to "root" your tablet. (the non-Apple equivalent of "jailbreaking".) Once you have root-level access (i.e. administrator-level access), you can install an open-source build of whatever version of Android you want.

This will void the warranty, but if it's 3 versions of Android old, then the warranty has probably expired anyway.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
Android updates are pushed to the products at the discretion of the manufacturers and their schedules, generally. Contacting ZTE may be the best way of dealing with it, and then it may be a useless effort.
well that bums me out lol i should of not bought this tablet but it had a 9000 mah battery and had cell phone abilty

raggie33

*the raggedier*
Look for instructions online to "root" your tablet. (the non-Apple equivalent of "jailbreaking".) Once you have root-level access (i.e. administrator-level access), you can install an open-source build of whatever version of Android you want.

This will void the warranty, but if it's 3 versions of Android old, then the warranty has probably expired anyway.
cool that will be great

lunas

Enlightened
biggest issue is how little support tablets have chances are nobody has cooked a version of 9 for the tablet and root and custom roms are spotty at best my samsung 7 inch tablet had root but near 0 dev support i barely got root never got a rom beyond what was released for it my 10 inch asus had better all sorts of support my shield tab has support a quick search on zte 10 inch revealed little hope

fyrstormer

Banned
Android is still in its growth phase, with lots of useful features being rolled out with each new version. Because of that, newer versions of lots of apps are marked as being not backward-compatible with older versions of Android, because features required by those apps don't exist in older versions of Android.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
ty for the input everyone do you all think it is safe to run 6?

fyrstormer

Banned
Android is constructed differently from Windows or Mac OS, so there is minimal risk from using an old version of Android. Android requires the user to manually authorize each application to access specific types of data on the device, so unless you don't read the list of requested permissions, you should be fine.

For example, the latest version of Android has a button that lets you use the camera flash LED as a flashlight. Prior to that, there were lots of companies producing "flashlight apps" that did the same thing. Most of those apps were supported by advertisements, and the apps would scan data on a user's device and send that information to the advertisers to help select "targeted" ads to show the user. But those flashlight apps couldn't be installed without the user seeing a list of requested permissions, so it's the user's fault if they installed a flashlight app that was requesting to access their photo albums and text-messages -- it should be obvious that a flashlight app would have no need to access that data unless it was spying on the user.

Last edited:

lunas

Enlightened
What do you mean safe if by safe you mean from the dangerous hackers wanting your credit cards yeah it is fine. the exploits the few bugs you have read about require very specific methods for attack most require physical access and IMHO if someone had your tablet in their hands you got bigger issues than that.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
cool ty you both i love the tablet but i was worried if it was secure. i mean it has over a 9000 battery and you can use it over the cell network

StarHalo

Flashaholic
You can use any tablet over your cell network if your phone can hotspot; I do this in the car with the kids and their $30 tablets all the time.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
yeah i now this but i like it to be simple and since i am on a motorcycle i wanna caryy as lil as i can

fyrstormer

Banned
You'll be fine with Android 6. At most I would suggest not running any banking apps on it -- assuming they would even install in the first place, which they quite possibly won't. As I said before, newer versions of many apps require features that are not present in older versions of Android, and so they will refuse to install.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Fun fact: Energizer makes phones; as you would expect from a battery manufacturer, the battery is the main selling point - 18,000 mAh, 50 days between charges on standby. Only one catch:
VV3uHqk.jpg

fyrstormer

Banned
Am I the only one who doesn't actually see that as a "catch"? Phones are too freaking thin nowadays, and I fully expect the next generation of phones to come with chainmaille gloves that must be worn while using the phone so you won't accidentally slice off your fingertips on the edges.