Daniel Stern Interview

SubLGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
An interesting 2-part interview with Mr. Stern:

https://drivingintherealworld.com/part-1-lighting-the-way-with-guest-daniel-stern/

https://drivingintherealworld.com/part-2-lighting-the-way-with-daniel-stern/

A few excerpts:

...Automotive regulations allow a huge performance range in every exterior vehicle light. As high-tech lighting becomes practical and affordable, ever higher performance is possible. But when regulations are updated (which happens very rarely), it's usually to allow higher performance at the top of the range—to raise the ceiling—and almost never to raise the floor by requiring higher performance at the bottom of the range...

...If headlamps were built with warmer-white LEDs, they'd be giving drivers badly needed extra "seeing" light without increasing painful glare. But auto marketers strongly prefer ever-bluer headlamps, insisting they're closer to natural daylight, which they aren't in any real sense...

...For that matter, one of the world's top vehicle lighting research bodies, the Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute's Lighting Research Center, has shown a clear benefit (fewer crashes) of "headlamps on when wipers are on" laws. With the reduced visibility and increased light scatter caused by rain and snow, low beams are the appropriate front lights, DRLs are inappropriate, and side and rear lighting are crucial....

Magio

Enlightened
Why then do automakers not add a single line of software code (at most) to their car control modules to activate the full lights on low beam if the windshield wipers are activated for more than a short duration? This, like automatic day and night lighting, is inexpensive, low-hanging fruit to fuel the drive toward zero traffic fatalities.
My 2017 Honda accord coupe has this feature. Of course it can be overridden but in auto mode the lowbeams come on automatically after about 5 or so cycles of the wipers.

1990CrownVic

Newly Enlightened
My 2017 Honda accord coupe has this feature. Of course it can be overridden but in auto mode the lowbeams come on automatically after about 5 or so cycles of the wipers.

My old 2002 Ford Crown Vic also has that feature. Seems it is not something new lol

For SubLGT: thanks for sharing! Very interesting!

ameli0rate

Newly Enlightened
That's an excellent interview, not only because it's written (I hate when a lot of this stuff is youtube videos because they can often be blocked or malfunctioning depending on where you work) but also because it covers the basics (HID/LED retrofits bad, fog lights bad, etc.) AND it has Daniel's resume on there and it's easily linkable.

If I go somewhere and say "please don't use a HID kit to 'improve' your lights" and someone replies with "and what makes YOU the expert?!" I can just reply with "it doesn't, but THIS GUY is one" and link this interview.

Ofelas

Enlightened
If he's the same quirky feller I've been conversing with the past several years, then that rings a bell.

http://danielsternlighting.com is one of the most oft-cited websites in the Automotive, Motorcycles Included subforum. Surely you're seen us making links to it (and mentioning Daniel Stern by name) in hundreds of posts here.