Fenix custom engraving any good?

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Fenix's official website provides custom bezel engraving of a selection of images for 3 of their models. I've literally just started EDCing a Fenix PD35 V2.0 tonight. And am considering getting another one in case anything happens to the one clipped to my pants pocket. Though if the white engraving comes off easily, I'd rather not spend the extra money on that.

Especially since I'd likely get the American flag engraving. And, if it scratches off too easily riding in a pocket; it's just going to look horribly disrespectful carrying a light with a scratched up or faded American flag on the bezel.

If anyone has experience with an image-engraved Fenix light, please chime in. Would really appreciate knowing if the engraving is worth it or not. Thanks in advance for the help.

Labrador72

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had my nickname laser-engraved by one of the major Fenix distributors in Europe on 3 of my PD31 flashlights. Two of them have been carried in backpacks or pants' pockets for virtually thousands of kilometers and the engraving still looks like brand new.

However, the older Fenix lights had a flat, rectangular area on the body which was ideal for engraving. The newer Fenix lights, including the PD35, don't. I'm not sure how laser-engraving would look on the round body of the current models.

That said, I don't think professional laser engraving would wear off just because the flashlight is carried in a pocket. Yes, an image is different from a few letters but after all both are some sort of sequence of engraved lines. The problem with the flag is that the body of the PD35 might not offer enough space to achieve a good definition of all flag details. No experience with engraving services from Fenix US or China though! The best would probably be to ask them if they think they can do a good job based on what you want.

Last edited: