Single 14500/AA flashlight with throw. Anything new out there in 2019

Sipher3

Newly Enlightened
I know this question has been asked before, but most post seem to be a little dated.

I currently have a Olight S1a, that has been a great all around light. I use it for work every night, but I find that the beam is a too floody and i prefer a tale switch and simple UI for a work light. I end up using Turbo (600 lumens) to make up for the lack of throw, and end up changing batteries every night. I am considering Fenix LD09 and LD11. Both are discontinued, but seem to be available at a pretty good price. Im not sure if I will be disappointed in the output of the LD's at only 220/300 Lumens, but they seem to have a little more throw from what I can tell.
Is there any other manufactures or models you guys could recommend. It seems that most manufactures don't list beam profiles (flood/throw)

I am looking for a single, 14500/AA tail switch only (forward or reverse) pocket clip, and narrow body like my Olight, or LD09. Under $50 if possible.

maukka

Enlightened
Astrolux S2 / Astrolux SC / BLF X5
Lumintop GT Micro (edit: this is side switch).

Last edited:

Sipher3

Newly Enlightened
How about coast HX5
345 focusable lumens on 14500
$20
I forgot about Coast. I remember looking into the HP1 and the Hx5 a while ago. I may need to give it another look. thanks for the suggestion.

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a Manker T01 and am not sure it is still available but at the time it was the King of Throw in an AA light that I could find.
It wold be worth trying to find one if this is really what you want.
The light also has a Side Switch like the Olight so there is that too but it is a thrower for sure too!

cyclesport

Enlightened
Just got one myself...an Astrolux BLF X5 XPL-HI. Potent little thrower @ 1400 lumens, user configurable UI...and w/a little searching for codes, under $18.

Sipher3

Newly Enlightened
Just got one myself...an Astrolux BLF X5 XPL-HI. Potent little thrower @ 1400 lumens, user configurable UI...and w/a little searching for codes, under $18.
I just watched a youtube video on the Astrolux BLF X5 XPL-HI. That light is insane. I may pick one up for home use, but I don't want to blind my coworkers LOL. Looks like a fantastic light for search and rescue. Thanks for the suggestion.

cyclesport

Enlightened
I just watched a youtube video on the Astrolux BLF X5 XPL-HI. That light is insane. I may pick one up for home use, but I don't want to blind my coworkers LOL. Looks like a fantastic light for search and rescue. Thanks for the suggestion.

So I don't lead you "down the garden path". This is a hobbyist light to be clear. Search & rescue...yeah, not so much, unless the rescue is less than 2 or 3 min. This is a 14500 (only) little flame thrower that will get hot fast on highest mode and run time is not great. Works better as a take-a-far-off-look for 30sec...then shut it down (or lower). Just so you know.

*If you still have an interest, you can PM me for the coupon code.

Last edited:

Sipher3

Newly Enlightened
So I don't lead you "down the garden path". This is a hobbyist light to be clear. Search & rescue...yeah, not so much, unless the rescue is less than 2 or 3 min. This is a 14500 (only) little flame thrower that will get hot fast on highest mode and run time is not great. Works better as a take-a-far-off-look for 30sec...then shut it down (or lower). Just so you know.

*If you still have an interest, you can PM me for the coupon code.
I think that one's going to be a little too bulky and a little too specialized for my needs at work. It Looks like a cool light to show off to my buddies for the wow factor. I may pick one up at some point. Thank you.

Sipher3

Newly Enlightened
I was able to get my hands on a Fenix LD11 300 lumen light. It easily out throws my Olight SA1 600 lumen light, and is set up a little better as a work light for my needs. Thanks for all the recommendations. Ill keep those in mind if this one doesn't work out.

db4rings

Newly Enlightened
I am looking for a single, 14500/AA tail switch only (forward or reverse) pocket clip, and narrow body like my Olight, or LD09. Under $50 if possible.

Have you looked ar the Fenix RC05. It has both a tail switch and a side switch. I just ordered it myself.
I like that its rechargable and it will run on 14500, nimh, and AA. This is going to be my next EDC.

If youre an REI member they have a 20% coupon going now.

https://www.rei.com/product/124310/...6=&RMID=OrderConfirm_PROD&RRID=36461935&ev11=