Prometheus        
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Hurry up new Quarks!

Default Re: Hurry up new Quarks!

Quote Originally Posted by InvisibleFrodo View Post
    ....If those drivers are truly using constant current and not pulse width modulation, that is a big big deal and a very real selling point for many experienced flashlight users. I donít recall seeing that mentioned in the campaign at all...
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by Burgess View Post
    Hello Jason --

I've been a Flashaholic for more than 60 years now !
    And a big 47's fan for a Decade.

This looks and sounds Great !

As a 2xAA enthusiast, I have one concern:

You list Maximum voltage as 3.0

Am I permitted to run Energizer L91 Lithiums ? ? ?

Those are my backup supply when things get difficult !

_
    Yes. Lithium Primary L91 cell's will work fine .

Okay- I downloaded the user manuals and one thing that really grabbed my attention was that the manual says that the dimming is accomplished with constant current. If those drivers are truly using constant current and not pulse width modulation, that is a big big deal and a very real selling point for many experienced flashlight users.

FYI, all Quarks were constant current from the beginning. Now, circuit "warble" on some of the high voltage heads, that was something different, kind of - I have a couple of those. It is not the same entity as PWM, as it manifests as a dimming, not to zero, in a wave form. But the dimming is low enough that to the eye it looks just like a PWM light. My photos of it clearly show light emitted at the low points, just a lot less light.

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...=1#post4329856
    https://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...=1#post4328592

I assume it is my high voltage (2xCR123) lights that were made later in the Quark lifespan that exhibit none of this "warble" behavior, and I would hope that that is how all of the new lights will be.

Quote Originally Posted by Hondo View Post
    FYI, all Quarks were constant current from the beginning...
    I did not know that. I would guess there are others who are unaware of that fact. Either way, if it where me, I would make it known that this latest generation of Quark is continuing that tradition, as that is certainly a trait to be proud of in my opinion.

Default Hurry up new Quarks!

I agree with frodo, iím new member in 47ís addiction and iím not aware of all these old, known facts. But going through 47ís history i would highly recomend using their twist head-mod changing option in todays quarks. Gene explained and iím sure there is nothing to interfere with SF. That with modern LEDís and higher output would be a killer deal.
    This way iím still thinking wheter should i get old second hand quark and swap the emitter to get it to a modern standard torch.

EDIT: fellow member explained why twist head is not an option. Wasnít reading carefully. Sorry Jason.
    Last edited by id30209; 07-18-2019 at 02:56 PM.

Alright, I wanna take one more swing at this one, I think I have something else to potentially offer. I see something very interesting going on with the tailcap that I donít see mentioned anywhere, and I find myself curious about it. There appears to be two holes in the tailcap of each light, presumably for lanyard attachment. But what interests me is that one hole is small and round, the other is a wide oval cutout. The holes are adjacent to each other. Iím certain there is some reasoning behind the design with two different size/shape holes and an intended function in mind, but Iím not sure what it is. This is a feature of the light and another possible point of attraction for users either seeking this feature or for those who are unaware of its existence, but who might go ďoh hey thatís a good ideaĒ.

Alright, I wanna take one more swing at this one, I think I have something else to potentially offer. I see something very interesting going on with the tailcap that I donít see mentioned anywhere, and I find myself curious about it. There appears to be two holes in the tailcap of each light, presumably for lanyard attachment. But what interests me is that one hole is small and round, the other is a wide oval cutout. The holes are adjacent to each other. Iím certain there is some reasoning behind the design with two different size/shape holes and an intended function in mind, but Iím not sure what it is. This is a feature of the light and another possible point of attraction for users either seeking this feature or for those who are unaware of its existence, but who might go ďoh hey thatís a good ideaĒ.

Having two holes gives you the option to utilize a split ring while retaining the ability to tail-stand the light. I always assumed the purpose of the larger oval was to make it easier to thread the split ring.
    Never point a flashlight at anything you don't intend to illuminate! Never buy a flashlight you have to make payments on.

Holes for the tailstand shoulder attachment or...

Quote Originally Posted by Chauncey Gardiner View Post

Having two holes gives you the option to utilize a split ring while retaining the ability to tail-stand the light. I always assumed the purpose of the larger oval was to make it easier to thread the split ring.
    Perhaps the oval cutout would enable a wider range of split ring diameters to fit in that way as you said enabling tail standing?

Perhaps the oval cutout would enable a wider range of split ring diameters to fit in that way as you said enabling tail standing?
    Indeed it does!
    Never point a flashlight at anything you don't intend to illuminate! Never buy a flashlight you have to make payments on.

I donít believe that it is specifically mentioned if the tailcaps are forward or reverse...

Quark Pro came with a flush reverse cap, which works better for that interface. Tactical came with a raised forward cap, and a flush forward cap was available for the Turbo models, but works on the other models, just with a little step, because Turbos were a little fatter. And they can all be lego'd if you like.
    Last edited by Hondo; 07-21-2019 at 03:00 PM.

When I point out these things- constant current drivers, holes in the tailcap, foreword or reverse clicky, Iím not looking for someone to educate me about it here, Iím pointing it out as information missing from the Kickstarter. Although it is still fun conversation.

When I point out these things- constant current drivers, holes in the tailcap, foreword or reverse clicky, Iím not looking for someone to educate me about it here, Iím pointing it out as information missing from the Kickstarter. Although it is still fun conversation.
    This is a good point. There are a few missing design philosophies from the campaign. Due to the UI differences, we will be seeing forward clicky switches to allow momentary and programming modes. Although a legacy reverse clicky tailcap switch will work, it does take some practice. Interesting the tailcap Tailstanding adapter will fit the older Pro reverse clicky tailcaps also. It acts like an accidental activation guard .

The only thing that really jumped out at me was the listed brightness settings go from 1 lumen to 100 lumens on the 16650 and from 1.5 lumens to 80 lumens on the 2xAA light.
    To me, thatís like not really having a medium setting. For example, as a work or task light 1 lumen isnít enough for working in my opinion. But 100 lumens is too much for up close work in my experience.
    Deal breaker for me, I love the old Quark's 10ish-X mode spacing (0.3/3/30/300) esp. in the programmable Click model. Set-up my HDS and Click nearly identically - 4 mode, 10x spacing, mode memory, moonlight/low toggle. Except the old Quarks are way more energy efficient (w/ my low lumen usage) and battery versatile (note that the 1-4.2v drivers are gone too) than HDS. I have my Grail Quark's, and quite a few backups.

I get it, low lumen/runtime enthusiasts are rare, more profitable to cater to the high output crowd. That's OK, saves me money.... actually haven't bought a new light in years.

TAKE MY MONEY

Quote Originally Posted by nimdabew View Post
    TAKE MY MONEY

Video was good.
    Would like to see an early bird combo of both lights.
    Pricing of potential add-ons would be nice (e.g. deep carry clips, the clip-on to allow tail-standing, extra lights).
    One more vote for mentioning the lack of PWM.

Not what you asked for, but I'm a little sad that the voltage range for each of the heads is so narrow. Part of the joy of the lego-ability of the Quarks was the ability to use AAs and rechargeable Li ions in the same light (14500/AA size or with a body swap). If the voltage range is accurate, then the 2 x AA head will only be useable with AAs, and the QK 16L head won't be useable with AAs at all.

Have to echo what reppans and bdckr have said. Without a doubt there are many nice improvements to the light (more robust build, nice nichia emitter, inclusion of tail cap clip on for tail standing, etc), but the change to the voltage range seems like a backward step IMHO.
    Last edited by Mill321; 07-26-2019 at 06:05 PM.

Unfortunately the "A" heads will be 1-2 AA cells, and the "L" head will be 1-2 Lion cells.
    This change is due to the driver not being able to safely distinguish between the two types of cell(s)
    combinations by voltage only
    . The introduction of burst mode of the previous Quark MKII's has
    driven this
    change. The burst level capability of "AA" cells versus "Lion" cells burst capabilities are different.
    "A" Quark MKIII's output levels are matched to the amount "AA" cells can safely discharge. The lower output
    levels of the past legacy Quark lights had more overlap of input voltages due to their lower driver levels and
    lesser powered LEDs. The new MKIII Quark's are not locktited. They can now be easily modded with a driver
    of your choice that would allow a multi type cell configuration of the past.

Last edited by Got Lumens?; 07-30-2019 at 05:45 PM.

Great info, thx!
    Any idea when they could be available or kickstarter campaign to start?

Quote Originally Posted by Got Lumens? View Post
    Quarks do not feature a low voltage cut-off like the "L" heads have. This has potential to ruin a lion cell by unknowingly over-discharging it.
    If they are worried about that then they should restrict the L head to 6V, not 8.4V. Anyways, it follows the general theme of making things idiot proof these days... and why things like a stick shift in a car are disappearing.

Earlybird KickStarter emails have been sent.
    Previous backers get a $10 credit by following their unique link within the email.

Got the KickStarter email. Does anyone know how the QK16L lights will behave with one primary CR123 cell and a battery spacer in them?

Quote Originally Posted by Got Lumens? View Post
    Earlybird KickStarter emails have been sent.
    Previous backers get a $10 credit by following their unique link within the email.
    I thought I signed up. No e-mail for me. One year?

Iím one of those whoíll wait for public announcement.
    This one wonít work with single primary...

So I got the Email with the link that says count me in, I clicked it, and it says the offer expires when the project launches, and I see a countdown timer saying it launches in a little under 24 hours, so Iím confused...
    How do I use the offer before that 24 hours expires if the project hasnít launched on Kickstarter? Am I doing something wrong or missing something here?

Quote Originally Posted by troutpool View Post
    Got the KickStarter email. Does anyone know how the QK16L lights will behave with one primary CR123 cell and a battery spacer in them?
    No. It is dangerous to use one primary cell in the "L" head. The "A" head lego'd with a 1 CR123A tube(or 2 cell with spacer) will work with that combination, but is not recommended due to the high current of burst mode. Not all primary CR123A batteries are the same. There are low power CR123A cells(Photo) that are not designed for a flashlights power demands that could pose a unknowing safety hazard.

So I got the Email with the link that says count me in, I clicked it, and it says the offer expires when the project launches, and I see a countdown timer saying it launches in a little under 24 hours, so Iím confused...
    How do I use the offer before that 24 hours expires if the project hasnít launched on Kickstarter? Am I doing something wrong or missing something here?
    Frodo,
    Check your email again. After I clicked the screen changed and said I was signed up. I also got a follow-up email saying I had opted in. Sounds like your browser isn't playing nice with the webpage . Let us know after trying it again. Also add "s.backerkit.com" & "o.backerkit.com" to your allowed senders settings.
    Last edited by Got Lumens?; 07-30-2019 at 09:16 AM.

HELLO!!

Quote Originally Posted by Chauncey Gardiner View Post
    HELLO!!
    CG, Do You remember if You used a different email for Kickstarter? These early specials were sent to the registered email on file with KickStarter, not Prometheus mailing lists.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast