Acebeam        
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Hurry up new Quarks!

Default Re: Hurry up new Quarks!

Quote Originally Posted by Got Lumens? View Post
    CG, Do You remember if You used a different email for Kickstarter? These early specials were sent to the registered email on file with KickStarter, not Prometheus mailing lists.
    I had to reregister at Kickstarter. My e-mail addy wasn't on file. It was active a month ago.... strange. Thanks much.
    Never point a flashlight at anything you don't intend to illuminate! Never buy a flashlight you have to make payments on.

Quote Originally Posted by Chauncey Gardiner View Post
    I had to reregister at Kickstarter. My e-mail addy wasn't on file. It was active a month ago.... strange. Thanks much.
    Bummer. Alls it takes is one misclick to unsubscribe via accidentally clicking one of those microscopic unsubscribe links in the emails

So far 645 previous backers have pledged support for this KickStarter.
    As soon as it goes Live I will post, or someone will beat me to it, with the url for the KickStarter launch.

Here ya go - https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...ef=thanks-copy

DANG IT! Couldn't decide. Had to get both. Well, 2 is 1 ..... so that's what I told The Lovely Mrs. Gardiner when she asked me if I bought a new flashlight.

Last edited by Chauncey Gardiner; 07-30-2019 at 11:20 AM.
    Never point a flashlight at anything you don't intend to illuminate! Never buy a flashlight you have to make payments on.

Congratulations, Jason! $12,500 goal reached in 49 minutes.

So I’m still not sure if I did this correctly. I clicked count me in, it said I was one of the folks who counted in, I pledged for the AA light, because I don’t have many “good” AA lights, is the $10 credit something that comes later?
    I didn’t pledge extra money, just the cost of the light... Am I doing it correctly?
    I’m not sure I entirely understood the response that you sent me earlier... Now I feel kinda dumb. HAHA

Our Kickstarter is live!

You guys make all of this possible, so I wanted to let you know how much I appreciate your support over all these years. My sincere thanks!

Would you consider sharing the campaign with your friends and family? Even if you don't want a light...but like what we are doing...you can still make a (really) big difference by letting other people know. I can also guarantee that you know at least one person who can't see in the dark, and they will thank you later

Thanks in advance!

Jason

Kickstarter Project

Notes on your BackerKit credit:
    The $10 credit (for add-ons) will be applied to your account after
    the campaign ends. BackerKit is our fullfilment platform that allows us to manage shipping and also to offer add-ons like batteries, chargers, and other Foursevens lights.

Hooray! Foursevens just launched their project, Foursevens Quark MKIII LED Flashlight: The Legacy Continues.

Foursevens Quark MKIII LED Flashlight: The Legacy Continues

by Foursevens

If you only have one flashlight, make it a Quark$12,500goal

21 daysremaining

View this project
    Now’s your chance to be one of the first backers!

Last edited by Got Lumens?; 07-30-2019 at 01:00 PM.

Been away from CPF for quite awhile. But on the Prometheus e-mail list. So, I got the notice of the Quark KS project. A 16650 Quark with a Nichia 319? Yes, please!

IN!

(Looks like they funded in less than an hour! Impressive. Really looking forward to this. Liking modes 1-3.)
    If we could get everyone in the world to close their eyes and imagine world peace for an hour, think about how serene it would be until the looting started. -Unknown

Dont really understand the kick starter thing. When can i buy a quark from your website?

Flashaholic*

KickStarter is new to me as well.
    It sounds like participation is by committing to purchase one, two or more flashlights pre paid via KS downloaded app. Along with customers personal info, and guessing that includes your credit card numbers which you will be billed later when the product arrives in USA for sale. At that time only those customers receive 20% discount off msrp for funding the whole project, I think that's how it works

I am sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong

Btw, I'm in for a QK16L after they arrive..
    Last edited by knucklegary; 07-30-2019 at 05:19 PM.

Flashaholic*

There are also several other flashlight companies in violation of the copywrite, but they were not served due to being based outside the United States.
    I don't have an answer to why Malkoff Devices is offering those. Perhaps You can write them. I am guessing they are selling off stock they have ???
    It would not be based on copyright (protects authorship) ... SF must have a pertinent patent?
    I spend my days in the light thinking about flashlights in the dark

Yes. Patent protection. Sorry for the poor choice of wording

Yes. Patent protection. Sorry for the poor choice of wording
    Any idea of when the SF patent expires? The old interface (head tightened = turbo; Head loosened = L-M-H) was the best flashlight UI ever conceived. SF should really live in infamy in this community for a) suing to have this feature removed b) then not using this UI in any of their lights. Its been a tremendous setback for the development of flashlights, resulting in a regression in the industry to increasingly baroque UI's that require flowcharts to understand.

I've been carrying my Foursevens QuarkX for nearly 10 years now, and much as I look I have still not found a better flashlight. I've even purchased a number of NOS Quark's should my trusty companion ever ware out.

That said, I'm intrigued by the new Quark. Can you better explain the UI of this model?

It seems that its set to "3" from the factory:

Medium (100lm) - High (400lm) - Burst (700lm)

1. Is 'Burst' like the previous Quarks, where it produces 700lm, then steps down to 400 after ~30 seconds?
    2. How fast does this double click have to be to activate burst vs accidentally swapping to another mode?
    3. Given that there is almost no difference in runtime between Burst (1.5hrs) and High (1.75hrs), why include a "High" mode at all? Would it not be simpler to have it just be Medium/Max?

4. I noticed that the ad copy warns against the use of 2xCR123's. CR123's were the staple of the previous Quarks, and were sued safely for the lifetime of the older company. What about this new design makes them unsafe?
    5. If rechargeable batteries are required, why use the 16650 vs the 18650 battery, which is becoming the industry standard? The difference in diameter is only 2mm.

6. I notice runtimes and brightnesses do not seem to have noticeably improved over the previous Quark QP2L-X, what is the reason for this?:

Quark QP2L-X

• Burst: 780 lumens / 1 minute; then 390 lumens /1.9 hours
    • High: 300 lumens / 3.2 hours
    • Medium: 55 lumens / 14 hours
    • Low: 5 lumens / 96hrs
    • Moonlight: 0.5 lumens / 600hrs

Vs the new Quark:
    Brightness Levels:
    Low (Moonlight): 1 lumens, 270 hrs
    Medium: 100 lumens, 9.5 hrs
    High 400 lumens 1.75 hrs
    Max/Burst 700 lumens, 1.5 hrs

Flashaholic*

Where is the real “medium” level? The output levels don’t make sense. Basically moonlight or what would have been considered until a 7 or 8 years ago scorching
    I spend my days in the light thinking about flashlights in the dark

Quote Originally Posted by Illumination View Post
    Where is the real “medium” level? The output levels don’t make sense. Basically moonlight or what would have been considered until a 7 or 8 years ago scorching
    This was actually part of my motivation to get the AA light. Medium mode is 80 instead of 100. That, and the light I really want (but cannot have) is the single cell AA light, because the brightness settings will be basically cut in half, which will work really nicely. Anyone know if the bodies will ever be sold separately?

I wish I could buy Preon Mk III bodies as well, instead of having to buy a whole new light...

Good Question. I'm sure they may come eventually. This is a new beginning, the MKIII's.
    Prometheus is known for supporting new adaptations of their products in the past, and has
    followed through with upgrade product offerings for FourSevens products. It boils down to
    production costs. Jason want's to save us money by adding extra spare parts to an existing
    manufacturers order. These spare parts orders are usually submitted simultaneously to a
    production stock order to cut setup costs. We may not see availability to purchase individual
    parts until, or if, they can be done cost effectively in the near future. I will ask Jason about
    spare Quark parts for sale.

PS I hear You on the AA vs Lion difference of 80 vs 100. I have made a suggestion to add
    back the removed fourth level from within the "L" series.
    Last edited by Got Lumens?; 08-01-2019 at 01:53 PM.

I concur, Medium should be at around 50 lumens or below. The Mini MKIII Turbo I got recently has much better spacing. I really like the Mini thus I pledged for the 16650 version. Too bad there is not a 16340 option available, like a Mini but with clicky activation.

Speaking of activation, getting in turbo mode on the Mini is a pain, hope will be much easier with the clicky switch.

To answer the earlier question about 18650, It makes quite a difference the extra width. I have in my carry rotation a Malkoff MD2 light with a Surefire Z41 tail and a Surefire EDCL2-T, guess which one is easier to carry in spite being significantly longer.

Quote Originally Posted by sebis View Post
    To answer the earlier question about 18650, It makes quite a difference the extra width. I have in my carry rotation a Malkoff MD2 light with a Surefire Z41 tail and a Surefire EDCL2-T, guess which one is easier to carry in spite being significantly longer.
    Thats because the Malkoff is a beastly, overbuilt flashlight with much thicker metal walls in both the tube and head then the Quark series. I say this comparing my own MD2 to my Quark right now.

The Malkoff has a 25.4mm body, but an 18650 is only 18mm - that leaves ~3.7mm of metal surrounding the battery on each side aka seriously overbuilt. You could probably stop a .38 special with this thing.

The actual 2mm difference in diameter between the 16650 and 18650 is minimal. It would just mean increasing the body diameter of the Quark to the diameter of the head of the light - essentially zero impact in its carryabillity.

And 18650 compatibility would have been a gateway to the new Quark actually offering improved performance/runtime over the previous QuarkX Pro. As it stands the new Quark does not offer any appreciable increase in either runtime or brightness over the previous Quark of ~4 years ago, with the exception of the Medium mode (55lmx14hrs vs 100lmx9.5hrs). Yet this is counter ballanced by a reduction in runtime in Hight (300lmx3.2hr vs 400lmx1.75hr)...
    Last edited by spyderco monkey; 08-01-2019 at 10:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by spyderco monkey View Post

4. I noticed that the ad copy warns against the use of 2xCR123's. CR123's were the staple of the previous Quarks, and were sued safely for the lifetime of the older company. What about this new design makes them unsafe?

5. If rechargeable batteries are required, why use the 16650 vs the 18650 battery, which is becoming the industry standard? The difference in diameter is only 2mm.

Jason has a thing against using 2 cells in his flashlights, see his postings on the matter. He may be right but one can do it safely if the cells are not mismatched and checked regularly. Unfortunately not everyone can be as careful as you and me.

For example, to my wife I only give single cell lights since she never checks the battery level. To take it further, my 6 year old is not allowed to use Li-Ion cells, only NiHM. Myself, I regularly carry a 1200 lumens Surefire EDCL2-T usually with 2 high discharge 16340 cells or Surefire CR123 depending on the circumstances. If I use primaries I check them with a pulse tester, if I use rechargeable cells I make sure to recharge often before the voltage gets too low. How many people you know (that are not flashoholics) can do this?

It is a matter of acceptable risk, I know the risk and I can manage it, but not everyone can do it safely. I also carry daily thus my level of acceptable risk may be different than most.

Thats because the Malkoff is a beastly, overbuilt flashlight with much thicker metal walls in both the tube and head then the Quark series. I say this comparing my own MD2 to my Quark right no

The Malkoff has a 25.4mm body, but an 18650 is only 18mm - that leaves ~3.7mm of metal surrounding the battery on each side aka seriously overbuilt. You could probably stop a .38 special with this thing.

The actual 2mm difference in diameter between the 16650 and 18650 is minimal. It would just mean increasing the body diameter of the Quark to the diameter of the head of the light - essentially zero impact in its carryabillity.

And 18650 compatibility would have been a gateway to the new Quark actually offering improved performance/runtime over the previous QuarkX Pro. As it stands the new Quark does not offer any appreciable increase in either runtime or brightness over the previous Quark of ~4 years ago, with the exception of the Medium mode (55lmx14hrs vs 100lmx9.5hrs). Yet this is counter ballanced by a reduction in runtime in Hight (300lmx3.2hr vs 400lmx1.75hr)...
    It may have to do with the overall diameter vs wall thickness ratio, the bigger the diameter the ticker the walls thus 2 mm in extra cell diameter may translate into extra 4 mm in the overall diameter, just speculating .

Quote Originally Posted by sebis View Post
    Jason has a thing against using 2 cells in his flashlights, see his postings on the matter. He may be right but one can do it safely if the cells are not mismatched and checked regularly. Unfortunately not everyone can be as careful as you and me.

For example, to my wife I only give single cell lights since she never checks the battery level. To take it further, my 6 year old is not allowed to use Li-Ion cells, only NiHM. Myself, I regularly carry a 1200 lumens Surefire EDCL2-T usually with 2 high discharge 16340 cells or Surefire CR123 depending on the circumstances. If I use primaries I check them with a pulse tester, if I use rechargeable cells I make sure to recharge often before the voltage gets too low. How many people you know (that are not flashoholics) can do this?

It is a matter of acceptable risk, I know the risk and I can manage it, but not everyone can do it safely. I also carry daily thus my level of acceptable risk may be different than most.
    I mean, serious flashlights have been using 2xCR123 primaries for nearly 20 years now, many used by cops and military personnel who are obviously not checking their bats with a battery tester.

The previous gen of Quarks were sold with no such CR123 warning, and I'm willing to bet 99.5% of the many, many Quarks sold during that time period were used with CR123's that were not tested on a battery tester either - myself among them.

Given that the OTF Level of Burst on the previous QuarkX was 780otf from 2xCR123, there seems to be no 'performance' reason to warn against CR123's now that Burst is 700lm; it's not like this is some crazy 4000lm firestarter.

I mean, serious flashlights have been using 2xCR123 primaries for nearly 20 years now, many used by cops and military personnel who are obviously not checking their bats with a battery tester.

The previous gen of Quarks were sold with no such CR123 warning, and I'm willing to bet 99.5% of the many, many Quarks sold during that time period were used with CR123's that were not tested on a battery tester either - myself among them.

Given that the OTF Level of Burst on the previous QuarkX was 780otf from 2xCR123, there seems to be no 'performance' reason to warn against CR123's now that Burst is 700lm; it's not like this is some crazy 4000lm firestarter.
    I hear you but cops and military are not paying for their cells, usually, thus they get fresh primaries before starting the mission, les likelihood of having mismatch cells. Plus the past flashlights of the past 20 years were not sucking as much current as the 1000+ lumens common today. Don’t know about the new Quarks but my EDCL2-T borderline exceeds the CR123 specs in terms of max current, thus my preference for high discharge 16340 instead, I use primaries only as backup.

Any idea how the beam patterns of these will compare to the Preons? I would say the Preons have a quite floody hotspot with an absolutely huge spill, which is super excellent for close quarters work, but not so hot when it comes to longer range use. Will these be a little more throw oriented with their larger diameter reflector, or should I expect another super floody beam?

I would say 4 brightness settings + turbo would be ideal to accommodate having a true medium/low. As the specs read right now it kinda goes from low low (1 lumen) to a pretty bright medium (80 or 100 lumens) without a low (15-50 lumens) in between. That would be the perfect way to perfect these lights in my tiny opinion.

Yes, a real low/medium setting please! All of this user customization and no levels between 1 and 100 lumens just does not make sense to me. Actually, it's a deal breaker, and I really want to like these.

Default Hurry up new Quarks!

The single cell AA light (when it’s available) should be something like 1/40/150 lumens, and that (to me) sounds much better as far as usability in “hands on” working at close range.

Having said that, the mode spacing on the 2xAA and 16650 seems (to me) better suited to accommodate wider open spaces such as outdoor use, hence my curiosity about beam pattern and how “throwy/floody” the beam is.

I’m thinking that adding a 4th brightness setting would require major re-engineering of the driver, and therefore may not be a very realistic request. But I can’t say that isn’t something I would think could help “perfect” the light.
    Last edited by InvisibleFrodo; 08-02-2019 at 10:25 AM.

I have made a suggestion to add back the removed fourth level from within the "L" series.

PS I hear You on the AA vs Lion difference of 80 vs 100. I have made a suggestion to add
    back the removed fourth level from within the "L" series.
    I think that fourth level should be considered on both the A and L series, if I may say so...

Personally while I have many hesitations about the new Quarks, what I most like is the 80/100lm Medium setting x 9.5hrs.

Thats pretty much a perfect default level of light and runtime for an average, non-flashlight person, as well as the amount of light/runtime I'd be most likely to use in the city while walking my dog, where extensive background light makes lower modes a bit too dim.

Having the modes so that 1 click = 80/100lm is pretty much perfect for an average person as well, making it a great gift light, similar to the Malkoff M61LL

Having just a 2 click interface of 100/Burst would actually be pretty great for a simple, general purpose non-flashlighter flashlight.

Its the other mode levels that don't really make sense to me; 1lm 'low' should be 5-10lm, high should be either 300lmx3hrs, or done away with and just made Burst only.

Well, to get into personal usage, one of my all-time favorites for "around the house" navigation is a Gerber Infinity Ultra. Really, any decent 5 mm light with a good LED installed though. Those tend to put out around 8-12 lumens. Much less is only good for dark adapted eyes, and much more is both blinding, due to reflected light back, and a colossal waste of battery. When walking outside, I like a bit more - say 20-30 lumens depending on the amount of ambient light. These are where my HDS levels B and C are set, and my most used levels. As for moonlight, which is what I would like to use when I need to get up in the middle of the night, 1 lumen is way too bright, but I could live with it. About 0.1-0.2 lumens is what I use for that. So you can hopefully see why I use the strong term "dealbreaker" for the levels in this interface. So many choices programmed in, without any brightness levels that I would want to use most of the time. For some, I'm sure it will work. But clearly, I am not in a minority here. I have faith that Jason will react to this at some point. And then I will start to expand my already insane collection of Quarks. It certainly helps me wait patiently, having Quarks with the kind of levels that I like, that I can use while I wait.

Quote Originally Posted by ironhorse View Post
    No single 14500 / AA option?
    I sure hope their going to change that before the build, that's a huge disappointment if there is no support for 4.2V, I use 14500 in all my older Quarks. I would think it's a simple resistor value change to support the higher voltage.
    Fenix TK50,TK41,TK40,L2D,L1D,L0D,LD01,LD41,LD20,LD15,LD1 0,LD05,HP10,HP15|ZebraLight SC51,SC62w,SC600w,SC600Fd,SC64c LE,SC700d,SC53Fc|EagleTac D25A,D25A2,MX25L3C,T25C2,D25LC2|Nitecore TM16,EAX,MT1A,MT2A,EZ AA,IFD2,T5s,D4|47's Mini AA,AA²,"X"AA²,Pro QPA| List of Lights

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast