Powertac Sabre Head Disasembly

bl4kkat

Newly Enlightened
Hey everyone!

I was looking on the web trying to figure out how the head of the Powertac Sabre can come apart? I don't see the two holes where you can unscrew a retaining ring like some lights. It's a brand new light for my brother and don't want to screatch the finish if it's one of those lights that I have to put on a vice.

I gave him a single AAA Pelican 1910 (Hi/Lo) light where I added the GIT epoxy around the inside of the bezel. He likes the GIT feature and needed a 2x AAA with a Hi/Lo feature with a longer run time. The Powertac Sabre has those features, but the best part is the silicon bite ring so he doesn't hurt his lips or teeth.

Seeing how its a TIR reflector I really would rather do the GIT paint on the inside so it would have a cleaner look. The Pelican GIT job looks good, but not perfect in my opion. It's just a green ring around the bezel. If it's not too much trouble I would rather paint the inside optic like I did to my Olight i3 EOS with a TIR reflector. In my opion it gives a nice bright glow than having a a"Ring" around the bezel. Plus he is using the light for close up work (mechanic) anyways, so it's not like he's doing any medium / long range spoting.

Any help will be greatly appriciated...
Thanks in advance

Mark

DrafterDan

Flashlight Enthusiast
That' a pretty small torch. There really are only a couple ways the pill/ head goes together. Either with a retaining ring of some sort, or just threaded on. It's not uncommon to have threadlocker or a thermal adhesive there, which means a gentle application of heat to soften it.

I use a piece of wood with a hole drilled to fit the head. Then saw it in half so you can use this as soft jaws to clamp it all in your bench vise. Then slow, gentle application of a propane torch to loosen things up, I check it constantly to avoid overheating.

bl4kkat

Newly Enlightened
Thanks DrafterDan for the reply, if I have more time i may try that in the future. I had the light for almost a week and my brother called and said he is coming by the house tonight to pick it up.

While I was waiting for someone to chime in I also sent Powertac an e-mail not really expecting a reply becuase I am taking their light apart. Suprisingly I did get a reply the other night, here is what they said:

"That head is glued together. Any modification will void the warranty on the light."

So DrafterDan was right about the adhesive. I've never attemted to use a torch to head up a flashlight head and pull it apart. With my first go around I feel like i'd melt the plastic (at least I think it is) reflector, or over heat the head and damage the electronics.

When I get home I'll try to take some pictures and post them up if I can so everyone can see what I am working with.

bl4kkat

Newly Enlightened
Its been a long while but in case anyone wanted to see how the glow epoxy turned out I took some pictures. Since I wasn't able to pull the head part, I just added the glow expoxy in between the bezel teeth and around the champfered area inside the bezel. I was very careful to just get the champfer part and not the glass with a tooth pick. It was waaaaaaay harder than it looked.

PowerTac_Glo_000_zpsxhgpi44q.jpg

PowerTac_Glo_001_zpszakgdvmv.jpg

PowerTac_Glo_002_zps2ihxjtsr.jpg

PowerTac_Glo_003_zpspoqp3itf.jpg

bl4kkat

Newly Enlightened
It was really hard to get a Macro shot of what the head looks like when taken off from the body, but there is a small gap right below the o ring. So I guessing that there are no threading and just simply glued in. I don't know if Powertac does that just to help save on machining cost and make it faster/easier to replace parts since they have a lifetime warrany on their products. Just something I thought I would put out there is anyone was curious.

PowerTac_Head_zpsjhsa1ozc.jpg