Imalent        

Thread: Re: Value of rare flashlight

Banned

Default Re: Value of rare flashlight

I had a question after reading the original thread, but it's locked so I have to start a new thread to ask my question:

Why is "price fishing" forbidden on CPF? There really isn't any difference between what the mods call "price fishing" vs. getting an expert appraisal. If anyone on the internet has the expertise to appraise the value of rare flashlights, wouldn't it be us here on CPF? As long as the person asking for the appraisal doesn't turn around and immediately open a sale thread with the flashlight listed at the highest price mentioned in their original question thread, I don't see the problem. Since the only people who can post sale threads anymore are paying subscribers, and since auction threads are entirely forbidden except for charity, it's effectively impossible for anyone to abuse the forum's expertise for their own personal gain -- at the very least they would have to give up some of their potential profit in-advance to gain permission to post a sale thread. This seems like an issue that may have existed in the past but is no longer relevant due to other changes in the way CPF operates.

Just to be clear, I'm not hoping to do some "price fishing" of my own, I'm just asking because I don't understand the problem.

Although there is a longer answer, the short answer is that is the easiest imaginable way to sidestep the need for a sales badge here.
    ... is the archimedes peak

This:
    Quote Originally Posted by archimedes View Post
    Although there is a longer answer, the short answer is that is the easiest imaginable way to sidestep the need for a sales badge here.
    Also... is $5.00 really so much money? So give up one Grande Vanilla Latte at Starbucks this month and one could post a "price fishing" thread in the WTS forum.

Trust me... I know the hassle of trying to find the value of an item on the internet... it's not easy. And most places that I've gone to for "expert appraisals" and information require a fee. And I'm not just talking about flashlights.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Greta View Post
    ...is $5.00 really so much money? So give up one Grande Vanilla Latte at Starbucks this month and one could post a "price fishing" thread in the WTS forum.

Trust me... I know the hassle of trying to find the value of an item on the internet... it's not easy. And most places that I've gone to for "expert appraisals" and information require a fee. And I'm not just talking about flashlights.
    Ah. I thought "price fishing" was forbidden across all of CPF, based on the moderator reply to the original thread. If it's acceptable to ask for offers in a sales thread without stating an initial sale price, then my question is irrelevant.

No, $5 is not that much money, hence why I bought a sponsorship without a second thought when I saw one was required to post sales threads nowadays. I was not attempting to suggest that it was unreasonable.
    Last edited by fyrstormer; 02-26-2019 at 10:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by fyrstormer View Post
    .... If it's acceptable to ask for offers in a sales thread without stating an initial sale price, then my question is irrelevant....
    It is absolutely not ...

You MUST post a price for all items you put up for sale. Auctions, feelers and requests for offers are NOT permitted.

Price fishing is essentially a variation of a "feeler" thread, and thus not allowed, neither in the discussion side nor the marketplace side.

There are plenty of search tools to discover prices of completed sales, both here on CPF as well as elsewhere (such as auction sites, etc)

Discussion threads regarding price and value tend to be contentious and their information goes stale quite quickly, as the market and the economy constantly change.

Market price is essentially established by what someone is willing to pay for an item. CPF (unlike many other hobby forums) requests that sellers leave selling prices posted for archival value, and this is linked to the date-stamped threads. This is "real" documented market pricing, not what any random poster may want to jaw about.

Although the work of mods here dealing with shills and spam is invisible to most members, as it mostly happens behind the scenes, there is an enormous amount of effort involved in trying to keep the forum relatively clear of this. Allowing price fishing would likely add to these problems substantially.
    Last edited by archimedes; 02-26-2019 at 10:33 PM.

Banned

It is absolutely not ...

You MUST post a price for all items you put up for sale. Auctions, feelers and requests for offers are NOT permitted.
    Ah. I guess I misunderstood Greta's comment.

Quote Originally Posted by fyrstormer View Post
    Ah. I guess I misunderstood Greta's comment.
    Yes, I believe her point was that by selling an item, that essentially establishes its value

Quote Originally Posted by Greta
    Also... is $5.00 really so much money? So give up one Grande Vanilla Latte at Starbucks this month and one could post a "price fishing" thread in the WTS forum.
    Not trying to cause anything here, and have no skin in the game, but both of these responses lead to the impression that if you pay $5.00 for a sales badge, you can post a "price fishing thread in the WTS forum".
    Cheers from the McGizmo state.

Quote Originally Posted by maxspeeds View Post
    Not trying to cause anything here, and have no skin in the game, but both of these responses lead to the impression that if you pay $5.00 for a sales badge, you can post a "price fishing thread in the WTS forum".
    That was clarified above, as a misunderstanding.
    Last edited by archimedes; 02-28-2019 at 06:42 PM.

This has been a question I've always wondered in the back of my mind as well in my over 10 years on CPF.
    Cheers from the McGizmo state.

Quote Originally Posted by maxspeeds View Post
    This has been a question I've always wondered in the back of my mind as well in my over 10 years on CPF.
    Thank you for your interest. I am hopeful that the above discussion is helpful in explaining things.

Not sure there is need for further debate on this topic, however, so we'll close this for now.
    Last edited by archimedes; 02-28-2019 at 06:54 PM.

Start high, knock it down til someone buys it. Ding, market value. Haha. Slow, but effective.