New developments/trends in LED flashlights for the past few years?

Centropolis

Enlightened
I've been away from this hobby for about 3 years and haven't looked on CPF in a long long time. Recently I was cleaning my room and found all my flashlights and parts. The itch is starting to come back to me. Although I've sold many of my lights, I still kept a few of my favourites at the time, 4Sevens Quark 123, Liteflux LF2x and my absolute favourite Novatac 120P (which I will never sell).

I've started to read the forums again to see what the latest "fad" and trends that is happening. The only thing I seem to see is that there are more and more rechargeable flashlights nowadays compared 3/4 years ago. Other than that, it seems there hasn't been much else that has happened in the past few years (other than maybe newer generations of LEDs).

What else is happening? (Just trying to get a discussion going to get myself hyped up and "back into the game".)

archimedes

Flashaholic
Let's see ...

• higher outputs (especially "popcan" torches)
• multi-emitters (triples, quads, and more)
• ultra-high ( ~98-99) CRI, with high R9 values
• LEP technology
• Narsil (and related) UI
• continued improvement in battery tech
• new custom makers focused on hosts from exotic metals (mokume, mokuti, timascus, zirconium, zircuti, etc)

parametrek

Enlightened
Yes lights with built in charging are becoming more common. Currently the transition from micro-usb to USB-C has been ongoing.

Some of the USB-C lights can also act as powerbanks. I expect that feature to become more common.

Almost everyone has something with high CRI for sale now.

The lumens race continues. 3000 lumens from a 1" light is available. At point blank range that is 60x the intensity of sunlight and easily enough to melt synthetic fabric or burn some paper.

More lights are being made with exotic materials. Copper and brass and titanium are easy to find in the smaller lights.

More lights are offering programmable or configurable UIs.

18650s are kind of mainstream now though that might be a side effect of vaping more than anything. Even Surefire has a few.

I'm very pleased that more lights have been offering multiple emitters for both flood and throw.

For the bad news section: Some big names you might remember are out of the game. David Chow sold Foursevens to Prometheus and Marshall of Going Gear died.

MAD777

Flashlight Enthusiast
This kind of thing happened while you were gone....

Take your pick, 31,000 lumens brightness, or 2 million CD throw.

Don't be gone so long next time! LOL [emoji12]
58708d4f6ffd4dca32a85d034c2bdd5d.jpg
84cbd1c05552e1b0527b4b4867e2de80.jpg

kamagong

Newly Enlightened
• new custom makers focused on hosts from exotic metals (mokume, mokuti, timascus, zirconium, zircuti, etc)

This one is particularly interesting. Lights as pocket jewelry...

Last edited:

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
We are increasingly seeing lights that are rechargeable, but the rechargeable battery is not replaceable. That is, basically disposable flashlights, albeit the product life could be years. I made a thread about this, and many people swore off buying these types of lights. I'm just a hair more cautious: I won't buy them unless there's something compelling and unique about them. Thing is, I suppose the non-replaceable battery gives the flashlight designers some design freedom, because I have indeed ended up buying some of these types of lights.

kamagong

Newly Enlightened
We are increasingly seeing lights that are rechargeable, but the rechargeable battery is not replaceable. That is, basically disposable flashlights...

Excellent point. I've decried this development in phones, but I have little choice in the matter. With lights I do, and I choose to stay away from these "disposable" flashlights.

Exactly, I see these lights and think...Ron Best.

Lol...you've discovered my weakness and first love. I always have knives on the brain.

I meant to say "lights as pocket jewelry" of course. I am happy that those types of lights are being made and are available. They're just not for me. Much like Ron Best knives I suppose...

Centropolis

Enlightened
Yes lights with built in charging are becoming more common. Currently the transition from micro-usb to USB-C has been ongoing.

Some of the USB-C lights can also act as powerbanks. I expect that feature to become more common.

Almost everyone has something with high CRI for sale now.

The lumens race continues. 3000 lumens from a 1" light is available. At point blank range that is 60x the intensity of sunlight and easily enough to melt synthetic fabric or burn some paper.

More lights are being made with exotic materials. Copper and brass and titanium are easy to find in the smaller lights.

More lights are offering programmable or configurable UIs.

18650s are kind of mainstream now though that might be a side effect of vaping more than anything. Even Surefire has a few.

I'm very pleased that more lights have been offering multiple emitters for both flood and throw.

For the bad news section: Some big names you might remember are out of the game. David Chow sold Foursevens to Prometheus and Marshall of Going Gear died.

I really love 4Sevens back then, that's too bad but it lives on in another form I guess. I actually won a free 4Sevens light when the Canadian rep had a draw in one of the local meet ups.
Now that you've said it, I did notice that there are more 18650 flashlights out there now. I only have one 18650 light right now and it's a budget thrower (EastwardYJ - no idea if these cheap chinese brand still exist haha).

Centropolis

Enlightened
This kind of thing happened while you were gone....

Take your pick, 31,000 lumens brightness, or 2 million CD throw.

Don't be gone so long next time! LOL [emoji12]
58708d4f6ffd4dca32a85d034c2bdd5d.jpg
84cbd1c05552e1b0527b4b4867e2de80.jpg

These are nuts! Wow. I won't be gone again for a little while now that I'm back but I am thinking my spending budget on lights will be changed from before. I don't see myself spending $100+ on lights anymore.

martinaee

Flashlight Enthusiast
Let's see ...

• LEP technology

- What is LEP?

- What is Narsil?

- That is all my questions for now.

metalmaze

Newly Enlightened
Yeah, I am really fascinated with the LEP tech. It surprises me that no one is coming out with a bigger better light than the W30...for under 1500 bucks that is.

Let's see ...

• LEP technology

Rancho5

Newly Enlightened
18650s are kind of mainstream now though that might be a side effect of vaping more than anything.

I had no idea vape pens, etc, used 18650's. That's how out of touch I am with that segment of our culture.