What makes you pay more for a flashlight?

LRJ88

Enlightened
After a brief discussion with a friend whose idea of a good flashlight is a chinese saturday night special with batteries from the same place and his unwillingness to ever pay more than $20 for a flashlight, batteries, and charger i must ask what actually makes you pay more for a flashlight?

In my case the warranty as well as ease of use come first, secondly things that could come in handy on some models like the Emisar D4S doubling as a lantern etc., but overall i'm willing to pay a bit more for features like a separate mode select system, high CRI, and durability.

Lumen83

Enlightened
After a brief discussion with a friend whose idea of a good flashlight is a chinese saturday night special with batteries from the same place and his unwillingness to ever pay more than $20 for a flashlight, batteries, and charger i must ask what actually makes you pay more for a flashlight?

In my case the warranty as well as ease of use come first, secondly things that could come in handy on some models like the Emisar D4S doubling as a lantern etc., but overall i'm willing to pay a bit more for features like a separate mode select system, high CRI, and durability.

I haven't purchased any cheaper lights. Most of my lights have use cases that Im trusting my general safety and sometimes my life on. So, I pay more for reliability and durability. I'm not really impressed by all the bells and whistles. Basic functionality is what I prefer. 2 modes. No wacky disco mode. And simple UI. No desire to program, recharge with USB, or anything like that. Sounds crazy to some but I'll gladly pay hundreds of dollars for a bomb proof simple two mode gas pedal twisty 500 lumens max.

Sos24

Enlightened
Many people do not understand the value of a flashlight., not in monetary value but in the "it is there and works to meet your needs when required". I'm talking about the having a flashlight go dead in the woods, needing to change a tire and be seen on the side of a highway at night, finding yourself in unfamiliar surroundings during sudden power outage, telling which color a valve is in a dark machinery space, etc. For those that don't truly understand its value, a flashlight on a phone or cheap flashlight will do up until they fail you. For those of us who understand the comfort and value of a quality flashlight, we are already willing to pay more for something durable and reliable that we know will do the job even if not the best of circumstances.

Aside from that, I am also willing to pay more for modes and a UI that I really like. I've also have come to appreciate certain tints more than others and Hi CRI, so I will pay more for those as well.

Berneck1

Enlightened
Build quality, durability and reliability. You're just not going to get that with the cheap lights.

MAD777

Flashlight Enthusiast
Performance (lumens & lux, tint, CRI, etc.) and build quality. Most of my lights are mods from this forum, not off the big box store shelf or boat from China.
Some pay for lights as jewelry. I must admit that there are beauties out there, but I haven't jump off that particular cliff. [emoji12]

Hugh Johnson

Enlightened
Performance, efficiency, durability and ui. Novelty factor if I just want a new fun light.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
It's Quality. You get what you pay for. And the fact that it's what we like. A guy I work with bought a 1500 bike last summer I told him he was nuts. Then he started talking about the bike the same way I talk about flashlights.its what he's into so he does the research and gets the good stuff. So he rides a 1500 bike and uses a AA Mini-Maglite. I ride a Walmart special and have Malkoff's and HDS

LRJ88

Enlightened
OP, I'm curious to know which brand of tools lives in your friend's garage.

As is somehow very common #9 describes it perfectly, depending on the tool or object and its perceived significance there's some things that get vastly more funding. Things such as computer parts or indeed even some articles of clothing tend to have very few limits, up to and including a $700 graphics card despite having a comparable one already due to a review of it that seemed favourable.

For some reason a light source is often seen as "just a light" but in my experience that "just a light" seems to be way more attractive when others have it than spending some money getting it and having it yourself.

Fresh Light

Enlightened
Like a lot of things there is more value than just how bright and how much money. Some people might buy clothes based on the brand. People might assume price dictates quality. This is sometimes the case, possibly usually, but sometimes a high price is for a designer label or limited edition. This is maybe most evident in sports shoes. Quality products can usually give better warranties and hopefully better customer service.

Some people are in niche markets and smart entrepreneurs find a way to sell to people. Some people want highly programmable and customizable lights. While others will pay a premium for on/off high quality that might possibly be near bullet proof. I like to have some of each.

LeanBurn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I paid $52 CAD for my Thrunite TN4A HI in neutral white, which is the most I have ever paid. I only paid that much because it had the output and run times I was after. Besides that, I can't see me ever paying that much again...for my uses. I am not tough on my lights at all and treat them as a tool that fills a need. I have never had a light break on me (came close one time with alka-leaks and my Maglite 2D :sweat:)

TiS - $25
TH20 - $32
Archer - $32
E01 - $15
C01 -~ $7 ea
1999 Maglite 2D -$32
Dorcy Penlight $2 (+ 50c for a Yuji bulb.)

...but unless something unexpected occurs through regular use, I'll just replace as needed.

Last edited:

lightfooted

Flashlight Enthusiast

Nothing.

But I do my research and check into things often before committing any money to them and I already am willing to spend more than your friend's limit of $20 on what I perceive to be a good light that does what I want it to do. So while we all have our own ideas of what makes a good flashlight I am not likely to be swayed to spend any more on one just because it has some unique feature or expensive materiel in it's construction. I guess that while I won't buy a light based solely on what it's made of or how it functions, I also understand that sometimes the things I want or expect come at a price and sometimes I am willing to pay the price to obtain them. Whether or not I think it's a fair price.

CREEXHP70LED

Enlightened
It's Quality. You get what you pay for. And the fact that it's what we like. A guy I work with bought a 1500 bike last summer I told him he was nuts. Then he started talking about the bike the same way I talk about flashlights.its what he's into so he does the research and gets the good stuff. So he rides a 1500 bike and uses a AA Mini-Maglite. I ride a Walmart special and have Malkoff's and HDS

Yes exactly. My brother in law has an 11,000 dollar bike a specialized bike with a brain ? Anyway, he also does carry everyday a Nitecore 2 X 18650 cell light. Not sure which model but I have played with it and he said it was 2,100 lumens.
I personally paid 1,600 for a bike when I was 20 or 21 years old myself it was a Cannondale F1000.

It really comes down to your interests and you wallet I guess. I don't care how much money I had, I just don't spend more that 600 on a pocket knife or 1,000 on a Busse Combat INFI steel only though.

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am willing to pay more to get what I perceive as being more,pretty simple really.
Now comparing my idea of value to anyone else's is not so simple maybe but no one else is paying for what I want so it really does not matter anyway.

ChattanoogaPhil

Newly Enlightened
I'm willing to pay more when there is an American made alternative that meets the criteria.
Example: Malkoff

I'm willing to pay more when it uniquely meets the criteria.
Example: Streamlight Stinger with wall hanger/charger.

USMCsilver

Newly Enlightened
It is VERY difficult for me, these days. So many bright & cheap lights are so readily available, it is hard to purchase lights for random, every day use.

If I suspect my life will be in the hands of a flashlight, then yes, I will gladly pay a premium for a perceived, tried and true sense of security.

LRJ88

Enlightened
A lot of interesting replies, and a lot of interesting ways of seeing it so far as well. The way of thinking of it seems to differ so much from those with no interest in flashlights though since the thought of a flashlight as a reliable tool doesn't really seem to occur, more that light is a thing that happens and that if someone has a flashlight they don't see it as a tool either and just a means to an end.

It does explain a lot of the lack of respect for flashlights, knives, hand tools etc. and why there's so many that would happily cut up carpet and dry wall with a $200+ knife (at least someone else's $200+ knife) without seeing it as an issue while they throw a fit over someone else using their "tool" in a way that isn't entirely appropriate.