Surefire G2Z MV: lens gasket pinched/cut at three locations, LED severly off center

rrego

Enlightened
Hello all,

Is this a good candidate for return/replacement directly with Surefire?

I picked up a new Surefire G2Z (purchased, returned, immediately by original purchaser (?) - see pics) for a good price on the bay (second hand seller).

Per my pictures (cell phone), the o-ring is pinched and cut at these positions: 11, 1, 3 o'clock. Would this compromise the water tight feature? I don't want to mess with it and just pull the little pieces off, as I want to get opinions on this, if the waterproof feature might be compromised.

I thought I remembered someone posting that they removed the bezel of a Maxvision G2X or G2Z, but I couldn't find it. Does someone remember where that was posted? I'm wondering if the part of the thick bezel is sharp underneath, thus causing it to cut the o-ring/gasket at the three locations or if it was simply tightened too much.

Also the LED is severely off center, the dome is touching the reflector(?). I don't mind the LED off center, since it's Maxvision, it does not mess with the light at all, no hot spot, just cosmetic.

https://imgur.com/a/H0Ng3Sn

Last edited:

rrego

Enlightened
Sorry, if this is a dumb question, but when I send it back, do I have to send the packaging so they know it was new and don't think I messed with it or something or provide pictures of the defects? Have not done a service call with Surefire before.

To clarify, this info was disclosed in the listing when I purchased, it only showed a "stock image". It only stated it as new (other)/customer return :thinking:....and it was a good price :laughing:

Last edited:

Lumen83

Enlightened
Sorry, if this is a dumb question, but when I send it back, do I have to send the packaging so they know it was new and don't think I messed with it or something or provide pictures of the defects? Have not done a service call with Surefire before.

To clarify, this info was disclosed is the listing when I purchased, it only showed a "stock image". It only stated it as new (other)/customer return :thinking:....and it was a good price :laughing:

You don't need the packaging. Just call them and they will tell you what you need to do.

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't have this light, but a couple questions:

(1) Is the bezel or pill glued?
(2) Did the box come with any spare o-rings?

Surefires are expensive, so you could return it. But if this is the kind of thing you could fix yourself in a 2 minute repair, that might be easier.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
I wouldn't tuch it. It might be an easy fix but then again might not. And if they see that u messed with it. Well thats game over your on your own

rrego

Enlightened
I don't think the bezel can be removed without a notched tool for it. No spare O-rings when I've purchased other Surefire lights, new.

I've called, they requested pictures (I provided) and have provided my details.

Going to get a four flats A2 fixed also for non-working tail cap and random weird chipped lens down to the o-ring.
**my 6 yr old son was playing with the A2. Guess they aren't 6yr old torture tested :laughing: :nana:

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
From the pictures it looks like the bezel does unscrew. It doesn't stick out much though. Maybe press the bezel into the rubber sole on the bottom of a shoe and turn.

That won't help you if the light is glued though. Or if it didn't come with a spare o-ring. If the stock o-ring is actually split and not just pinched, the ring should be replaced. I suppose you could go to an automotive supply shop to find a replacement o-ring.

However, given how expensive Surefires are, their reputation for quality, and the obviously defective assembly, you might be better off just returning the light or sending it to Surefire for repair. At least that way you know you won't void the warranty by trying to fix it yourself.

rrego

Enlightened
Does anyone know how long it takes Surefire to issue the RMA once they have the info and pictures they requested of the issue with a light? Is seven business days sufficient before I'd call them to check on the status?

They will either fix or replace the G2Z MV and fix (hopefully) my classic A2 (needs new lens/fix the tailcap).

rrego

Enlightened
marinemaster - The rep requested I e-mail him pictures of the G2Z MV and fill in some bullet points of contact info and what the problem was, which is not a big deal, however it's been since Thursday of last week, three business days now. I also thought it might not take days, but I'm sure they get many e-mails. It was close to closing on Thursday, Feb 28. I'm going to give it to the end of this week and if no follow up, I'll call and ask for this specific rep, as it was to his direct tech support e-mail.

rrego

Enlightened
I followed up on the delay of feedback and RMA, turns out, the rep did set up my account, but typed my e-mail address incorrectly by one character, but has been straightened out now.

New G2ZX unit will be sent and they await my classic A2 four flats for tailcap repair :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Latest posts