Does anyone wear a camera vest?

Raven

Enlightened
I debated on whether I should post this question in the gear forum, so if the mods have to move the question - my apologies.

Just curious if any gear freaks here at cpf own a camera vest, or for that matter any type of multi pocket vest. I rarely see them, and tend to think they scream "concealed carry", but I've been thinking of buying one.

I'd love to hear any suggestions, on which brand or type is best, but I definitely want one that says " I am a geek not a gun head". In other words, no obvious ammo pockets /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Raven

nekomane

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have used several in the past but suggest a vest from Domke . Easily washable, comfortable, and holds lots of photo equipment, mobile phones, flashlights, GPS, etc. They are longer than a fishing vest, reaches down around your waist.
The big pockets are for lenses, though they may seem like ammo pockets. I have seen special ops people wearing similar types because they don't look as intimidating as tactical vests, more 'civilian'.
Like you say, they scream 'I got valuables' or 'I'm a clueless tourist!' so I try to avoid wearing it in some situations.

jtice

Flashaholic
Yep /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
I wear a Campco (?) photo vest on some of my hikes.

27 pockets /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Photon_Phantom_01.jpg

Pic with lights named.

No, ussually not with quite that many lights.

nekomane

Flashlight Enthusiast
jtice, no brand has enough pockets for you /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I have a Campco, too. The design on a lot of these look the same.

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
Holy frijole! I think I'm going to show that pic to my 4-year-old. "If you're not a good girl, the LIGHT MAN will come for you!"

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Joe

jtice

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
Joe Talmadge said:
Holy frijole! I think I'm going to show that pic to my 4-year-old. "If you're not a good girl, the LIGHT MAN will come for you!"

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Joe

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL
Hey! Its "Photon Phantom" get it right. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twakfl.gif

Original "Photon Phantom" Post

DieselDave

Super Moderator,
I have been wearing a Royal Robbins 5.11 tactical vest every day for the last 6 months. No one has ever asked me if it was a concealed carry vest or somehow "tactical". Everyone thinks it's a camera or fishing vest and I have enjoyed it very much. The vest will come off when the temps hit the 80's.

jpeg

Enlightened
Great shot um Mr. Photon Phantom sir...

I had one of those vests in high school, and all the chicks thought it looked sexy... NOT!
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif

jtice

Flashaholic
I get asked if I am going fishing alot.

"Do you see a damn fishing pole?. Tackle box? hmm? NO?"

Maybe they wouldnt ask that if I had all those lights on there? hehe

Turt

Enlightened
Hey jtice, is that one flashlight on your vest for every flashaholic you have hunted down? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Mark_van_Gorkom

Enlightened
I have a Royal Robbins vest too, the nylon summer-weight version (go everywhere?). Now I can't remember in what pocket I put what stuff...
I've yet to find a vest that looks civilised and has good pockets, so now I'm having one custum-made.

Bravo25

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am thinking of trying one of the Royal Robbins 5.11 shirts. These are available in long, and short sleeve, and have several pockets.

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have one of the 5.11 long sleeve shirts. It's got the two front pockets, and two oversized pockets behind the front ones you can see. I really like it.

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Besides looking goofy, in tx camera vests equals gun.

Greymage

Enlightened
I have a camera vest, but don't wear it - I only carry around a couple of lenses/filters and a few rolls of film most of the time, not enough to justify a vest. When loaded I go to a backpack.

I remember always forgetting which pocket something was in when I did wear the vest, one reason I quit wearing it.

TOB9595

Enlightened
I was looking for a good vest with lots o pockets. I don't fish but I carry and need pockets most of the time /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
I found a Cabela's Safari vest in the Cabela's PA. Bargain Cave for $15. It's just terrific!!
I did get some jesting from the guys at work, but they've become used to my ways now.
Tom

FordPrefect

Newly Enlightened
I often wear a vest from orvis.com ,my favorite is "The Ultimate Leather Travel Vest".But I bought it new,on E-bay and did not pay anywhere close to the(wow) 298.00 retail price.Orvis makes some nice,practical,non tactical looking vests.

Mark_van_Gorkom

Enlightened
Fordprefect: that's just the vest I've been looking for for years. Except for the price that is /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/broke.gif
Seems to be shorter than most multi-pocket vests?

The Bandera leather coat looks very tempting too.