HDS - tints and emitters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thread created to keep it out of the main HDS thread because opinions are like... I think you know the rest.

To be very honest, I'm so sick of the discussion I have been considering just going back to 2 emitter choices at HDS. At least if the discussion is going to be filled with ignorance and stupidity, and wild assumptions, I'll move it here where I can ignore it.

De gustibus non est disputandum... bear this in mind. The Romans knew it thousands of years ago but it seems today, opinions are facts...

So here is your corner. Have fun.

Yes, expect posts regarding this to be shuffled off to this thread like a naughty step child sent to boarding school.

bigburly912

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Tints and emitters

What is wrong with 2 emitter choices anyway? One warm, one cool. This light has somehow been turned into a piece of jewelry instead of the toughest son of a ***** alive. I understand limited runs from a collector standpoint I really do, I also understand the bossman wanting to stick to his roots of making it a "get you home light" which is why I personally own one.

zeroair

Newly Enlightened

Obviously offering a host option is the answer.

RCS1300

Flashlight Enthusiast

...I have been considering just going back to 2 emitter choices at HDS.

I hope you do not do that as I am considering the future purchase of at least one or more new HDS lights with different emitters. I would not have purchased four new HDS lights if it were not for the many LED High CRI and UV emitter choices. Probably would have purchased only one High CRI and one UV. The several different emitter choices more than doubled and may triple the HDS sales from me.

More emitter choices means more customers, more revenue, and more profit. Talk on message boards about how the emitters differ in HDS lights increases potential customer awareness, potential customer interest, and potential customer purchases of new HDS lights - all this marketing is at no financial cost to HDS. All good things.

So why is LED emitter choice important to me. For me, the HDS light is extremely well-built flashlight with superb proprietary technology. However, it is a general purpose flashlight with a very useful range of 50 feet. Within that 50 feet I want to have a light beam that fits my needs best. For me, that is High CRI and I enjoy experiencing the different emitters.

People purchasing a $300 general purpose flashlight, for the most part, are pretty smart and can easily distinguish between good information and not very good information - even if there is a lot of it.

Tejasandre

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tints and emitters

I wouldn't be in the HDS game without emitter & tint choices either.

Started with an aftermarket Clicky. Blue tint, hated it. That would have been the end of it. I have 2 now, & have sold 3-4 different tints that I HAD to try.

Nichia!

Banned

I wonder if you can offer the nichia 219b 4500k R9080 as the new standard high CRI light. Some folks still sell them.

I will buy 3-4 HDS light with that led..

calypso699

Newly Enlightened

I'm kinda dull when it comes to all this "tint" jargon. All I know is I love my 2700k...it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy every time I turn it on.

Last edited:

thermal guy

Flashaholic

The problem is hds hasn't changed The clientele has changed and that is pushing HDS to change.its a tough as nails light designed to get you home.but somewhere somehow it changed into a piece of jewelry put on a shelf and carried in business suits only to be taken out in case of a dire emergency. IE dropped paper clip white wall hunting and comparing beams with other lights.i get it's expensive so you should have it set up perfectly the way you want it but crap guys if half the people here actually used them and I mean as intended you would see they work just fine. IMO I think HDS does way more then they should to try and please people that want special led's put in. And look at the hassle they get about it all. I'm telling you best thing for them to do is stop this SPECIAL emitter run and give just a couple choices. Sounds like it's a royal PITA trying to keep up with everyone

bigburly912

Flashlight Enthusiast

I think the problem is more of people trying to tell them how to do their job and constantly trying to FIND problems with the lights that don't exist. That would **** me off too if I knew I had one of the best products in the business for its intended purpose.

InvisibleFrodo

Enlightened

Try grilling a steak on a grill outdoors in the dark with a 6200k 72CRI light and let me know how your steak turns out.

bigburly912

Flashlight Enthusiast

If you need a light to tell you how to grill your steak then you haven't grilled enough steaks in your life. : D

RCS1300

Flashlight Enthusiast

If you need a light to tell you how to grill your steak then you haven't grilled enough steaks in your life. : D

As a Seller, if you find someone with deep pockets that likes your flashlights do you want to sell that person only one or two flashlights? Wouldn't you rather sell that person four or six flashlights (double or triple your revenue) especially if you do not have to spend any more marketing dollars to "sell" that person on your lights?

bigburly912

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tints and emitters

I don't think one buyer is going to break a company like HDS but I see your point. If it was me I would offer several options at all times. Thing is it's not up to me or any other buyer it's up to the company and what they want to do and nobody else should try to tell them what to do. And Definitely shouldn't try to tell them what they do wrong and whinge and ***** about it on a forum.

And that is in no way directed to any one person in particular. More of a collective thought after reading several threads and posts. :[emoji16]

Last edited:

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast

An enthusiast forum should not express enthusiasm? Should not have disagreement? Should not make fun?

HDS has great flashlights, made greater by offering options, such as clips and lenses, and finishes. But not tints and color temperature?

bigburly912

Flashlight Enthusiast

An enthusiast forum should not express enthusiasm? Should not have disagreement? Should not make fun?

Oh yes definitely!! They probably just shouldn't tell people that everything they do is wrong if it doesn't line up with only what they want haha

RCS1300

Flashlight Enthusiast

If it was me I would offer several options at all times.

My guess is that at HDS there is a delicate balancing act between demand, number of offerings, and profits. I can see where there may be a profit issue to offer too much choice if the demand is not there.

The good and bad about CPF. Over 300,000 flashlight enthusiasts that can see every HDS post - rich potential target market of new buyers. Well over 200,000 of those flashlight enthusiasts have not purchased a new HDS flashlight and never will.

bigburly912

Flashlight Enthusiast

My guess is that at HDS there is a delicate balancing act between demand, number of offerings, and profits. I can see where there may be a profit issue to offer too much choice if the demand is not there.

Simple fact is they just can't make everyone happy. It's impossible. And if they start trying they will go down a rabbit hole. Making special runs every now and then is great if there is demand for it but those emitters can't be offered all the time. Supply and demand can be a *****. Also, the next YouTube video of some "expert" saying we all need purple flashlights with heart charms on them would cause an explosion of offerings of purple flashlights with little hearts because people are that impressionable.

Guys/gals that will literally never use these lights as they are intended telling a company how to run a business can't end well for anyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.