Need a two stage light

tadbik

Enlightened
Hi, I'm looking for a flashlight that has only two levels. High and low. Maybe 1000 lumens and 100-200.

Rechargeable in flashlight or removable 18650. If would also be an advantage if it was obvious what setting was going to come on. A switch for high/low or a separate switch for high and one for low.

Thanks

tadbik

Enlightened
Sorry my bad. I'm more of a Columbia guy and not Arc'tyrex. Would appreciate suggestions more around the $100 range. thanks.

Random Dan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sadly the twist for output interface is not particularly popular other than Malkoff. Would you be open to two-mode driver that always comes on in one of the two modes and then requires another click to switch to other?

Thetasigma

Flashlight Enthusiast
Two stage twist is pretty much a Malkoff thing these days. Two stage tailcaps were patented by SureFire. However in their current lineup the G2X Pro and 6PX Pro might be in range of what you're looking for, though it looks like they are driver controlled 2 mode lights.

archimedes

Flashaholic
As others have noted, your preferred UI is no longer very common in the market (although it is one I also appreciate)

Malkoff (various models discussed above) and Elzetta (such as the Charlie) would be the main options new, but both beyond your listed budget.

Malkoff does certain discounts / sales / coupons (and occasionally has blems available) or you could look on the CPF MarketPlace for something preowned.

I don't see Elzetta selling here secondhand as often, and I'm not as familiar with their sales and pricing.

Repsol600rr

Enlightened
Check out jetbeam bc25, bc25gt. Maybe even the bc20. I think they're almost exactly what you're lookind for.

tadbik

Enlightened
Sadly the twist for output interface is not particularly popular other than Malkoff. Would you be open to two-mode driver that always comes on in one of the two modes and then requires another click to switch to other?

I need it for police work. I just need to know that the level of light I want is available to me. Don't want to blind myself lighting up a driving license!

tadbik

Enlightened
Does anyone know the Nitecore R25? It seems it can be set up to work in high low and strobe.

tadbik

Enlightened
2275570ea3ae67e42681342093d31f9e.jpg

I can't believe this doesn't exist. Two buttons. High and Low. Seems so obvious.

archimedes

Flashaholic
Hi, I'm looking for a flashlight that has only two levels. High and low....

It would also be an advantage if it was obvious what setting was going to come on....

.... I can't believe this doesn't exist. Two buttons. High and Low. Seems so obvious.

I think one concern may be that it might be possible to "press the wrong button" accidentally under certain circumstances.

The original (patented) SureFire 2-stage tailswitch was the solution to this concern, as a light press resulted in low, a firm press resulted in high, and releasing the switch resulted in off.

For continuous output, the SF tailcap could be rotated (partially) to "lock" on low, or (fully) to lock on high. Mashing the button while locked on low, resulted in momentary high output.

The bezel solution was later developed to approximate some of the same functionality, using a different mechanism, presumably due to patent issues.

I haven't kept up with the latest SF releases, but I think that some of their latest models have returned to some of these features, such as their Tactician and EDCL(x)-T lines.

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fenix TK11 is still a decent 2 stage light that uses the head twist but not at the output levels that you want either.

Paul6ppca

Flashlight Enthusiast
How about Eagletac head tight/ loose with mode memory. Effectively a 2 stage output. Kind of a work around.

Nephron44

Enlightened
Surefire Tactician...everything you are describing, nothing you are not.

Streamlight 2L-X...can be programmed any way you want it with the ten rap system.

I have used both for police work and can strongly recommend either of them, although I am currently rocking the Tactician in my pocket.

archimedes

Flashaholic
Only 500 lumens

I'm getting a sense that your "perfect" light may not exist ....

It may be worth noting that visually, there is not much difference between 500 and 1000 lumens.

Typically, it takes between 4x to 10x lumens (depending on various factors) for output to appear "twice as bright"

Last edited:

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
Indeed, the perfect light is often elusive. I'll suggest the Olight warrior X. It has a two stage tail cap switch. Press gently for low, press harder for high. Takes an 18650 and features on board charging via a magnetic tail cap. It's slightly over your stated budget, but within reason.

The high beam is 2000 lumens, but quickly settles to about ~1200 or so for quite a while. The low beam is 300 lumens. The weakness of this flashlight for your purpose is that 300lm is not a "low beam" in any sense. While generally useful, it could be overwhelming if you're using it to look at a driver's license. You'd have to aim the hot spot elsewhere and catch the DL sidelong in the spill beam. Also, the switch is quite sensitive. It's easy to get the high beam when you were hoping for low, or even when you're trying to switch it off. There is certainly a learning curve.

I would echo the above posts and suggest the Malkoff Hound Dog 18650, but I'm also quite conscious of budget concerns.