Fenix Outfitters        
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Official CPF Hot Sauce Thread!

Default Re: The Official CPF Hot Sauce Thread!

Nothing too crazy ...

I like lots of flavor, not just heat.
    ... is the archimedes peak

Flashaholic*

Default The Official CPF Hot Sauce Thread!

Iím going to pigeon forge/gatlinburg area in a couple of weeks. I will update with any purchases made. : D my wife will kill me haha I have my eyes on this one.

ImageUploadedByCandlepowerforums1553448991.666551.jpg
    Last edited by Bigburly912; 03-24-2019 at 11:36 AM.
    hunter, fisherman, flashlight enthusiast

Flashaholic*

Any new recommended sauces out there?

So can you do anything with Dave's Ghost Pepper sauce?

Flashaholic*

I havenít tried it yet. It shouldnít be too horribly bad. Iím thinking itís around 650000 scoville. A few drops in a taco salad or chili beans should be fantastic. Iím not a huge fan of the flavor of Ghost Peppers, I think they taste Smokey with a hint of like burning rubber but Iíll give it a shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigburly912 View Post
    "The End."
    I tried that recently-- it certainly is hot but there was no complexity of flavor. It was something of a disappointment in that respect.

Flashaholic*

Itís an odd sauce for sure. I was happy that it didnít burn forever like some of the extremely hot sauces Iíve had in the past.

Flashaholic*

ImageUploadedByCandlepowerforums1556321049.809428.jpg

This stuff is absolutely wonderful. Itís not very hot at all but the taste is great!! Iíve been eating it on everything.

ImageUploadedByCandlepowerforums1556321151.534390.jpg

The chipotle ketchup from pepper palace is some of the best Iíve ever had. Beats the socks off of any sriracha ketchup Iíve ever tried. (They have their own sriracha ketchup as well)

Got it!

My impressions: The Scorpion heat is immediate and sharp, brings out the usual eating-hot-sauce-for-a-while symptoms right from the first drop - snotting and burning awareness of any imperfection on your face is the introduction. And the heat rings out like a bell, very napalm-esque in that you still feel the burning for some time after taking the bite (you get a bonus burn when belching too, so this is probably highly entertaining with beer..) Not much going on in the flavor department, the taste is a uniform dark, bitter red flavor, like a red enchilada sauce. This will probably work best on something you want to retain most of the original flavor of, like a complex chili or piled-high pizza. It won't replace Marie Sharp's for me, but it is a very unique gotta-try addition to the collection..

Flashaholic*

Thanks for the review! Kind of disappointed that it doesnít have much of a player. Tobasco is KNOWN for flavor.

Somewhere in the vicinity of Phoenix, Arizona, USA

Quote Originally Posted by StarHalo View Post
    Got it!

My impressions: The Scorpion heat is immediate and sharp, brings out the usual eating-hot-sauce-for-a-while symptoms right from the first drop - snotting and burning awareness of any imperfection on your face is the introduction. And the heat rings out like a bell, very napalm-esque in that you still feel the burning for some time after taking the bite (you get a bonus burn when belching too, so this is probably highly entertaining with beer..) Not much going on in the flavor department, the taste is a uniform dark, bitter red flavor, like a red enchilada sauce. This will probably work best on something you want to retain most of the original flavor of, like a complex chili or piled-high pizza. It won't replace Marie Sharp's for me, but it is a very unique gotta-try addition to the collection..
    Wow... I thought I could handle hot sauces, but this kicked my tail big-time, so I guess Iím just a wimp.

And for me, the heat was NOTICEABLE immediately, but it kept building over time until my tongue felt as if I had touched a red-hot poker to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Owner of the first full-on beamshot of The Beast II! (See avatar)

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops942 View Post
    Wow... I thought I could handle hot sauces, but this kicked my tail big-time, so I guess Iím just a wimp.

And for me, the heat was NOTICEABLE immediately, but it kept building over time until my tongue felt as if I had touched a red-hot poker to it.
    The upshot is that our handy Scoville scale tells us that the numbers for scorpion peppers and defensive pepper spray actually intersect - you can officially tell people you've eaten food as hot as pepper spray.

you'll work up a tolerance to pretty much anything if you're using it on a somewhat regular basis. heat is also pretty difficult to quantify & there's plenty inconsistency involved. i mentioned using a few drops of scorp per bite on my jersey mike's subs, but in same breath, i've bitten into plain old jalepenos from walmart that damned near choked me.

Quote Originally Posted by nosuchagency View Post
    you'll work up a tolerance to pretty much anything if you're using it on a somewhat regular basis. heat is also pretty difficult to quantify & there's plenty inconsistency involved. i mentioned using a few drops of scorp per bite on my jersey mike's subs, but in same breath, i've bitten into plain old jalepenos from walmart that damned near choked me.
    The two kinds of peppers I've found that can getcha are jalepenos and padrons. Usually can eat a basket-full, but maybe one or two in there will bite ya

Flashaholic*

Itís amazing when you are eating a bag of fresh jalapeŮos and then you get that one that literally is so hot it feels like acid.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigburly912 View Post
    Itís amazing when you are eating a bag of fresh jalapeŮos and then you get that one that literally is so hot it feels like acid.
    Yeah, I might use a different term than "amazing" though ....

Quote Originally Posted by nosuchagency View Post
    a few drops of scorp per bite on my jersey mike's subs
    Which sub?

regular #9 on wheat. sometimes instead of sauce i have them with bunch of mezetta's hot chili peppers; like one per bite. on very rare occassion will get a #17, but only eat them with mezetta hot jalepeno slices, alot of them. you can see pattern forming, rofl...

(edited for mezzetta spellin')
    Last edited by nosuchagency; 05-12-2019 at 01:13 PM.

Yeah, I only ever do a club there, never tried it with hot sauce though, will have to try that..

For sometime now these three have been my go-to choices for flavor. I'm not a fan of HOT. I like mixing the horseradish with a variety of condaments. e.g. with Ketchup for French fries, with tartar for salmon, with mayonase on sanwiches..... Mixing brings the flavor sans the heat.

Never point a flashlight at anything you don't intend to illuminate! Never buy a flashlight you have to make payments on.

Flashaholic*

This has been my go to sauce lately, Cajohns reaper sling blade. Itís not stupid hot and has a great flavor.

tabasco brand scorp sauce is getting way too expensive to order. just placed an order for dave's version scorp sauce that should arrive this weekend. will post follow up...

imo, heat's about on par with tabasco's version. dave's bottle doesn't have a control spout so it's essentially wanting to pour out like ketchup (think thick, blotchy drops), which may be a no go for novices. maybe just a wee bit more flavor...

Flashaholic*

Iíve got it in the cabinet ready to go. As soon as I finish the reaper sauce and the Daveís insanity Iíll give my thoughts as well. Thanks!!

i never had his insanity sauce; would be interested in impression of whether his scorp sauce is perceived as hotter?

Dave himself rates his Scorpion as third hottest, bested by Ghost at #2 and Ultimate Insanity at the top. And as noted above, he sells jars of whole Ghost peppers..

reckon will give ultimate a whirl after i down this bottle then. see you in the emergency room...

Flashaholic*

It was the first truly hot sauce I had ever eaten. You can taste a drop in 2 pounds of chili. Daveís insanity sauces were the first sauces to feature pure capsaicin, itís his claim to fame

He rates the Ghost jar as high as Ultimate, because there's obviously no way to dilute it; it'd be an interesting experiment but I'm not sure how you'd use it..

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast