about to park my motorcycle

raggie33

*the raggedier*
these people in this town are blind .i mean are they all on crack? tonight i was lucky to squeeze between to cars as this idiot almost hit me, i drive 365 days a year in the rain in the cold eetc etc. im ok with it all but the bad drivers

jabe1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm hesitant to ride again.
It was bad enough before smartphones, now too many people are trying to post to Facebook while navigating traffic.
I think I'd feel like a target.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
I'm hesitant to ride again.
It was bad enough before smartphones, now too many people are trying to post to Facebook while navigating traffic.
I think I'd feel like a target.
the drivers are way better in cleveland

Tejasandre

Flashlight Enthusiast
I only ever rode early on the weekends, when the idiots are sleeping. Been 3 years now though.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
I"m in CA, and it is ok to drive between two cars on the freeway. However it is not recommended in the CA Drivers Handbook. It is too easy for a driver to drift right or left while in their lane. Scary!

Bill

Random Dan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I"m in CA, and it is ok to drive between two cars on the freeway. However it is not recommended in the CA Drivers Handbook. It is too easy for a driver to drift right or left while in their lane. Scary!

Bill
The key is being ultra vigilant and having good brakes. I don't have the patience to sit in bay area traffic without lane splitting.

Tejasandre

Flashlight Enthusiast
The key is being ultra vigilant and having good brakes. I don't have the patience to sit in bay area traffic without lane splitting.

I tell anyone who's starting off motorcycling, " ride like everyone is trying to kill you, because everyone is trying to kill you."

slumber

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pretend you're invisible.

I went down a few years back when I hit a dog at night. [emoji240]
Wouldn't have been too bad if I was wearing proper safety gear....but I wasn't.

Last edited:

vadimax

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pretend you're invisible.

I went down a few years back when I hit a dog at night. [emoji240]
Wouldn't have been too bad if I was wearing proper safety gear....but I wasn't.

Many things are not obvious when on two wheels. If a collision with a small animal is inevitable you have to throttle up to transfer load to rear wheel. This makes a bike more stable and controllable. Of course, this is not a 100% guarantee, but improves your chances dramatically.

jabe1

Flashlight Enthusiast
the drivers are way better in cleveland

That's debatable, it's pretty bad here. I miss riding badly, especially in the spring. Despite the recent hip replacement, which my surgeon and I trace back to a pretty hard bike accident 30 years ago.
Part of me says I'd do better now. I think it's my early twenties invincibility talking again. 😀

Dude, why'd you move?

Last edited:
I tell anyone who's starting off motorcycling, " ride like everyone is trying to kill you, because everyone is trying to kill you."

I've always heard there are two kinds of riders; Those that have gone down and those that are going to go down. This is also a good thing to tell someone that's thinking about starting to ride.

~ Chance

raggie33

*the raggedier*
That's debatable, it's pretty bad here. I miss riding badly, especially in the spring. Despite the recent hip replacement, which my surgeon and I trace back to a pretty hard bike accident 30 years ago.
Part of me says I'd do better now. I think it's my early twenties invincibility talking again. 😀

Dude, why'd you move?
I made a huge mistake moveing

RedLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Palm Springs, CA, Beverly Hills, CA, Washington, D
Where do you live, Holmes, if you have to put your bike away?

I just ran my Ninja up to 148 mph, on a section of road called Thousand Palms Cyn. Rd. You slip in to a different world at those speeds! Can't maintain them for long as it is not a track. It is kind of run it up, and back it down. And, always a test run of the road first. I just do that and put it away and feel a rush for days.

A decade ago, we had a road called Ave 66 and it was seven miles of no cross traffic, no other roads or farm equipment crossing, you could do 150 safe, with test runs first. You can still do it but with an advance person and radios. Still we never did the track suit BS, just Levi's, T-shirt, gloves and helmet! The only thing to worry about was a freaked out coyote, or an unseen tortuise.

Before 9/11, in the mid 90's I took my GF, now wife down the active runway (in a short dress, and platforms, and helmet), at Thermal (TRM), airport, uncontrolled, up to 130 mph, (40mph is fast to a passenger), and she loved it! I learned to fly there in the eighties, and until 9/11 you could just drive out there, and no was one around. There was a FFS there, and a Cat to refuel planes and that was it. (And, yes I checked, as a pilot, to make sure no AC were on approach).

When my daughter was in high school I taught her to ride my KLR 250 and 650. Sometimes I would take her on one of my sportbikes from the stop light to 90+ mph in 3+ seconds, and she loved it I could hear her scream through her helmet, over the engine and pipes, into my helmet!!

Nothing like bikes!

Last edited:

RedLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
these people in this town are blind .i mean are they all on crack? tonight i was lucky to squeeze between to cars as this idiot almost hit me, i drive 365 days a year in the rain in the cold eetc etc. im ok with it all but the bad drivers
Holmes, if you are a rain and snow rider, you have my respect...just keep yourself on track, or move to what is left of the wide-open-spaces, not much left but, there is some.

Also, so glad to hear you are not moving to Mexico.

Our main home is in the Coachella Valley, (And, yes that is where the Coachella Fest. is with all the freaks who don't bathe for a week come to). And, there are so many Latinas, you would go crazy. That is what happened to me, and I have a hot Latina wife of 23 years and three indoor cats, and an entire crew outside in a colony, (All caught, flea bathed, regular bath, blow dried, vaccinated, chipped, fixed, ear notched, and released back where they came from), working for us, that I feed, to keep rats, mice, bugs and snakes away. They circle the property all day and night. Our other three homes are used less, so no cats.

I say go west, several states and you can ride with a hot Latina on your bike and forget your worries!

They are very hot looking, and come with very hot tempers, as well, but that is part of the charm and fun!!

They also cook very good. And dress very nice. It takes them a long time to get ready to go out, and I just wait with our car and driver, looking at my gold president Rolex, every time we attend a social event. And then I go back in the house to make sure the curling iron is not plugged in and next to the hand sanitizer.

Just remember Lucy and Ricky Ricardo had many fights on national TV in the 50's, and for decades in syndication after, and they had a good time. Ironically, in real Life Lucy and Desi Arnaz, helped build the Palm Springs area, they started Indian Wells C.C., and lived in Thunderbird C.C., and Indian Wells.

Here is a question I ask people who have been here since that time: How many martinis did Desi Arnaz have to drink at Indian Wells C.C., before he started drinking for real?

If you can answer that question!!! Please submit!!!

Last edited:
No matter how vigilent you are, a fender bender on a street bike often means crippled for life or worse.

I rode street for 12 years before my wife, who is a nurse, asked me to stop. And those word in bold (above) were her words to me. They rang true and I sold my bikes. There is just literally no way to ride on the street without being around 4000 pound biker killers. The rate of fatal crashes on street bikes is 72.34 per 100,000, about the murder rate in the worst Mexican drug states, places very few of us would go voluntarily. Just a bit less than El Salvador and much higher than Honduras.

Of course now I ride dirt, so there is that. At least on the dirt it's usually just me bouncing off the ground when I inevitably have a get-off. :)

Last edited:

RedLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dirt, tell that to my friend David Bailey, I was with Team USA at the 1986 Motocross Des Nations in Maggiora, Italy outside of Milan. David gave me his jersey at the end of one of the best motocross races in history.

Shortly after that, a minor crash at a pre season race in CA, paralyzed him. Dirt is no safer.

I was a local proffssional MX racer in high school. And twenty minutes of MX, Is equal to an entire football game. The second most demanding sport after soccer.

Last edited:

vadimax

Flashlight Enthusiast
They're called "donor cycles" for good reason.

But I must say it is cool to see some idiot on the interstate riding a wheelie at 75mph.....

The most funny thing — most of them have no slightest idea that they are killing their bike engine this way :) Not every bike engine has a modified oil pump intake and in an angled position during a wheelie an engine is running "dry".