2xAA Camo Maglite Same as 1984 Version?

tjdean01

Newly Enlightened
As a kid I had a 1xAA camouflage Maglight. Probably bought mid-80s when they were first made.

I want to buy the same one I had as a kid. I did some reading and see they are pretty rare. How much different are the originals from what I can buy today for $15? I think mine must have been a Xenon bulb. I'm pretty sure it wasn't Krypton. I was a kid but knew what that meant back then!

71mvCpzhpWL._SX425_.jpg

Last edited:

LiftdT4R

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: AA Camo Maglite Same as 1984 Version?

Do you mean 2 x AA? For all intents and purposes yes the incan ones are basically the same. They do run a Xenon bulb now vs. a Krypton back then. The Xenon has a slightly cooler tint and is brighter. It also has a longer run time. You can prob still locate the Krypton 2 x AA bulbs on flea bay if you really want the warmer tint.

Other differences are very minor. The 1984 version had stamped bezel whereas the new ones are laser etched but the painted camo pattern is identical.

Here's my 1984 model with Krypton bulbs for comparison!

1hzhjt0.jpg

q7l6SLy.jpg

If you're interested I did a big writeup on my blog detailing the first year 1984 Mini Mags. https://maglitehistory.blogspot.com/2017/06/mini-maglite-history-and-1984-1st.html

tjdean01

Newly Enlightened

Do you mean 2 x AA? For all intents and purposes yes the incan ones are basically the same. They do run a Xenon bulb now vs. a Krypton back then. The Xenon has a slightly cooler tint and is brighter. It also has a longer run time. You can prob still locate the Krypton 2 x AA bulbs on flea bay if you really want the warmer tint.

Other differences are very minor. The 1984 version had stamped bezel whereas the new ones are laser etched but the painted camo pattern is identical.

Here's my 1984 model with Krypton bulbs for comparison!

If you're interested I did a big writeup on my blog detailing the first year 1984 Mini Mags. https://maglitehistory.blogspot.com/2017/06/mini-maglite-history-and-1984-1st.html

That's the one! I wish I'd kept the old one (I would have been like 5 years old and my other lights were cheap plastic Duracells so I'm thinking I either sold the Maglite or someone stole it. The old one would mean so much more to me because it was the first thing I'd ever bought in my life. I still remember putting the coins on the table. And I can't be for sure at this point if I had the first edition with the stamped lettering or if it was older. I want to say it was NOT Krypton though, so might might have been newer (I had this thing about Krypton: Duracell advertised it as new and better so I believed it and always wanted Krypton. If the Maglite had that I would have been happier but I don't remember it saying Krypton so I might have had a newer version with Xenon bulb).

Either way, nice looking 1984 model! What is it worth? Are you sure the pattern and color is the same? The new ones seem to be of a lighter color (but then again I'm looking on the computer screen). If I get a new one I might modify it: 2 lithium AAs, 6-12 volt LED, shave down reflector. I don't know. They're still cheap so if I mess it up who cares because it's not my original anyway!

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast

I think the Mini Mag bulbs bulbs from the 80's were vacuum or argon bulbs, which are dimmer than krypton, though krypton bulbs are not all that bright either. The xenons are fairly recent, back in the day Brinkmann Nextstar bulbs (xenon, I think?) were the way to go if you wanted a brighter stock Mini Mag.

You might be able to find a vintage camo Mini Mag on ebay.

LiftdT4R

Flashlight Enthusiast

That's the one! I wish I'd kept the old one (I would have been like 5 years old and my other lights were cheap plastic Duracells so I'm thinking I either sold the Maglite or someone stole it. The old one would mean so much more to me because it was the first thing I'd ever bought in my life. I still remember putting the coins on the table. And I can't be for sure at this point if I had the first edition with the stamped lettering or if it was older. I want to say it was NOT Krypton though, so might might have been newer (I had this thing about Krypton: Duracell advertised it as new and better so I believed it and always wanted Krypton. If the Maglite had that I would have been happier but I don't remember it saying Krypton so I might have had a newer version with Xenon bulb).

Either way, nice looking 1984 model! What is it worth? Are you sure the pattern and color is the same? The new ones seem to be of a lighter color (but then again I'm looking on the computer screen). If I get a new one I might modify it: 2 lithium AAs, 6-12 volt LED, shave down reflector. I don't know. They're still cheap so if I mess it up who cares because it's not my original anyway!

Thanks! They aren't worth a ton of dough, $20 or so on ebay and they seem to put up a couple times a year, just have to keep a watchful eye. I will warn you though that ~1993 and prior lights had a smaller inside and most modern batteries will not fit. Maglite ran a big trade in promotion then since new AA batteries became slightly larger and most folks traded them in for new lights. Harbor Freight and other cheap batteries still work on the older lights though. They just have a habit of puking regularly.

I think the Mini Mag bulbs bulbs from the 80's were vacuum or argon bulbs, which are dimmer than krypton, though krypton bulbs are not all that bright either. The xenons are fairly recent, back in the day Brinkmann Nextstar bulbs (xenon, I think?) were the way to go if you wanted a brighter stock Mini Mag.

You might be able to find a vintage camo Mini Mag on ebay.

That is probably correct. My original bulb package doesn't make mention as to what the type of bulb is but it doesn't advertise them as being Krypton so I'd say you're likely right. Mag used a vacuum bulb on their big lights up until 1984 or so and then sold them as a "Standard Flashlight Bulb" into the late 80s. I did a write up on the bulbs for the big lights here:

https://maglitehistory.blogspot.com/2017/05/pr-flange-base-bulb-specs.html

The difference between Krypton and Vacuum is not noticeable. Both are very warm and not very bright. I still like them though and run the vacuum bulbs on an old 2D I have because I love the tint and the terrible beam brings back fond memories. Lol!

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast

My AA Mini Mag from 1985 has the tight battery tube, generally standard Eneloops, L91 Ultimate lithiums and most name brand alkalines fit, though just barely. Eneloop pros and some other NiMH's are too fat.

I think there is a color code to the Mini Mag bulbs, but I forget what it is, based on the little dabs of glass inside the base of the bulbs. I think the xenons have a gray base to them and the kryptons may have been green?? I do remember Mini Mag bulbs were not offered in xenon or even krypton until long after they came available for the C and D Mags, hence the interest in the Brinkman nexstars (I think radio shack might have also sold krypton or xenon mini Mag bulbs at one point, I know that they had halogen PR bulbs for the bigger Mags).

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic

Rayovac, Eveready and a host of what are termed "heavy duty" bulbs are carbon zinc in composition and are slightly slimmer than alkalines.

Rayovacs are yellow/white while the Eveready are black.
They fit in vintage lights made prior to the introduction of alkaline batteries.

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast

Rayovac, Eveready and a host of what are termed "heavy duty" bulbs are carbon zinc in composition and are slightly slimmer than alkalines.

Rayovacs are yellow/white while the Eveready are black.
They fit in vintage lights made prior to the introduction of alkaline batteries.

I used to use those black super heavy duty evereadys back in the day, they seemed to last longer than the standard eveready silver "nine lives" carbon zinc batteries and were a lot cheaper than alkalines (which were expensive back then).

BTW there is some info on the mini mag bulb color codes here:

https://flashlightsunlimited.com/magbulbs.htm#Specifications

bykfixer

Flashaholic

I bought some White Star II from them a few years back for use in some TL122 style flashlights.

The bi-pin Brinkmann Nextar were pretty good and a whole lot brighter than bulbs for Streamlight PocketMate if you can find them.

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast

The latest version in the mid and later 2000's of the Krypton bulbs that the Minimags came with were actually a considerable improvement over the older ones. Very bright. I haven't used the Xenon version of the Minimag bulbs. I have some in the blister pack that I just save for a rainy. But hopefully I can do a side by side comparison one of these days.

Burgess

Flashaholic

Interesting thread here !

lovecpf

BTW --

The original, "non-Krypton" bulbs
for the 2AA Mini-Maglite were identified
with a Pink band in the glass base.

I used to buy 'em regularly at Wal-Mart
for $ 1.87 (pack of two)

Cuz' they'd Blacken with Age.
And I never wanted to be stuck trying to
replace a burned-out bulb from that tailcap,
in Total Darkness !