Peak Eiger tint

Vemice

Enlightened
Recently got a copper Eiger and was very impressed. I just took possession of a SS set of AAA and 10180 tube with what was described as "warm" tint. To my dismay it appeared almost pure yellow. Does anyone know if this is normal?
I wanted to start a small Peak collection but this head will take some getting use to. Maybe I can buy just a new head.
Thanks.

archimedes

Flashaholic
Thank you.
Thought I got a bad one. Gonna order a mule head if I can get them to answer.
If you are able to speak with them directly, they are usually quite helpful at directing you to the specific emitter you might want for a custom build.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
with what was described as "warm" tint. To my dismay it appeared almost pure yellow.

yes, warmer color temperatures are yellower, than cooler color temperatures, that is normal

it is due to the difference in white balance of your brain, vs the Color Temperature of the LED

for example, if you look at a Warm LED during daylight hours, when your brain is adapted to sunlight, the warm LED will be Yellower

otoh, If you use incandescent light bulbs, after your brain is adapted to their 3000k CCT, you may find your warm LED is not so yellow, at that ambient white balance

warm LEDs are not my first pic for daytime EDC, otoh, I prefer warm LEDs when I wake up in the dark

as the brain white balance moves towards lower color temperatures, a warm white LED becomes much more pleasant

I suggest you do a test
put the Warm Eiger on your nightstand, and try it out when you wake up in the dark.. you may find you love it at that time

fwiw, it takes the brain at least 30 minutes to downregulate its white balance
the light will still look too yellow, if you have been in the sun, and then just step into a dark room and turn on the warm LED

There is a place and time for Warm. I like having the option, including when relaxing and when camping. Candles and Fires are also Warm White color temperatures.

I recently bought a 3200k Yuji LED and a 5600k version
the warm one is not to my liking during the day, at that time I prefer the 5600k
the opposite is true in the dark of night.

choices are good, I like options for different ambient light adapted conditions

note tint and color temperature are not the same thing

It is possible the Warm LED in your Eiger is also Yellow Tinted.. separate from being Warm

here is an example of the range of Color Temperatures in some of my lights:
gSWTuNM.png

another suggestion, if you have an incandescent light in your home, shine your Warm Eiger next to it. You may find the comparison informing.. for example, your Warm LED might be a cooler Color Temperature than Incandescent, and its Tint might also be greener, or yellower, or even more pink..

Last edited:

Vemice

Enlightened
Wow. What phenomenal input. Thank you all. I will try some comparisons. I really like the style of the lights. I did speak with them when designing my copper light. Will likely get another head to have some options.

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
How much does it cost just for an Eiger head? I have a red LED Eiger that I hardly ever use as it's too bright for my intended use and have been thinking of getting a new head for it.

LRJ88

Enlightened
How much does it cost just for an Eiger head? I have a red LED Eiger that I hardly ever use as it's too bright for my intended use and have been thinking of getting a new head for it.

Try mailing Peak, or Rob over at RMSK. That is unless you want to try out the buy/sell/trade part of the forum.

Vemice

Enlightened
I have an email in now waiting for an answer.
If I had to guess, I would say somewhere around $50. The guy I got these from said he got one several years ago for $45. Will send you PM when I get an answer.

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have an email in now waiting for an answer.
If I had to guess, I would say somewhere around $50. The guy I got these from said he got one several years ago for $45. Will send you PM when I get an answer.

For just the head? Ouch. That's how much I bought my Eiger for originally. I'll contact them and see what they say.

Vemice

Enlightened
On RMSK it's 39.95 for a non-QTC and 49.95 for QTC. So the price hasn't actually changed as mine was 45 with shipping back in the pre-QTC days.
Makes sense. The guy was talking about SS and the head really is the brains of the light. I just wish Peak was a bit more responsive. Hoping I get get a SS head for less than $45. The QTC stuff is in the tail, right?
As an aside, anyone have a 10180 Peak? If so, what batteries and charger are you using? All I can find without spending more than I care to is the DQG.

archimedes

Flashaholic
.... The QTC stuff is in the tail, right?

As an aside, anyone have a 10180 Peak? If so, what batteries and charger are you using? ....

Yes, QTC is at the base of the battery tube.

Yes, I have an Eiger 10180. The batteries and charger I still use are a few years old. The charger was a custom mod from CPF but long out of production.

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
Makes sense. The guy was talking about SS and the head really is the brains of the light. I just wish Peak was a bit more responsive. Hoping I get get a SS head for less than $45. The QTC stuff is in the tail, right?
As an aside, anyone have a 10180 Peak? If so, what batteries and charger are you using? All I can find without spending more than I care to is the DQG.

I got a response, 25 plus shipping for an aluminum head.

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
How is the head the brains of the light?
The head is just a carrier for the emitter and that is all.
The body is where the only brain is in a Peak and it is a tiny piece of rubber essentially in a carrier designed to hold it in place and that is all there.

I think the price is driven by the hand made construction of the Peak which are clearly not a mass produced light.

archimedes

Flashaholic
How is the head the brains of the light?
The head is just a carrier for the emitter and that is all.
The body is where the only brain is in a Peak and it is a tiny piece of rubber essentially in a carrier designed to hold it in place and that is all there....

The driver electronics are potted into the head / bezel assembly.

The QTC is in a separate plastic / metal "pill" friction fit into the base of the battery tube.

Vemice

Enlightened

The QTC is in a separate plastic / metal "pill" friction fit into the base of the battery tube.

Thank you. That is what I was trying to convey.

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was under the impression that there are no drivers in these that they are direct driven through the QTC?
Either way these are supposed to be among the most simple lights around which is one of the virtues of the design.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
My understanding is that the qtc acts like a variable resistor, or a dimmer switch.. inline with the battery, to deliver power to the pill, inside the head, that holds the LED

is there no spring at the bottom of the eiger battery tube when using the QTC pill?

somebody gifted me this QTC stuff, but I have not figured out how to use it.. the big round thing does not fit in the tube, and the tiny pieces of qtc material wont stay on the button head of the battery:
es3lRsa.jpg

The Fenix E01 and Sofirn C01 have a spring at the bottom of the battery tube. Is there a spring in the Eiger too?

also curious, as I have no Eiger, does a Fenix head lego to an eiger body?

Last edited: