Imalent        
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: HDS Systems EDC #22

Default Re: HDS Systems EDC #22

Quote Originally Posted by redryder View Post
    I just got Ti SW 45 and I agree about the purple hue. What I usually do is turn it up a couple levels. The purple hue disappears and the colors are great but I find that it's too bright for night adapted eyes. I think several other people have mentioned they prefer something warmer at night and I would agree. I prefer 3500k.
    I've pretty well determined that 3500k is about my favorite range. Warmer to match my preference, but white enough to be good for all over usage. Got both my bronze and ti in the sw35 for that reason.
    Marduke - Solitaire...I've seen matches which are brighter AND have a longer runtime. 光陰矢の如し

I don't remember sw35 or sw40 being offered for the titanium. And i have been too busy to be smart enough to have asked for a change.

Pretty sure sw40 is going to be my new favorite. If the titanium wasn't so expensive, id also like sw40 and sw35 in ti, but im fine with them in bronze and brass

Quote Originally Posted by INFRNL View Post
    I don't remember sw35 or sw40 being offered for the titanium. And i have been too busy to be smart enough to have asked for a change.

Pretty sure sw40 is going to be my new favorite. If the titanium wasn't so expensive, id also like sw40 and sw35 in ti, but im fine with them in bronze and brass
    I don't either, but I did have to send a request for the emitter to be changed in my order. About the best all around tint for me and my bronze light has made itself my new favorite.
    Marduke - Solitaire...I've seen matches which are brighter AND have a longer runtime. 光陰矢の如し

Of the R9080 emitters, the NB35 is my favorite. I'm happy to have it in my Bronze. The brass NB35 currently for sale is hard to resist...

All of the emitters below were available in the brass, bronze, and titanium presale except for the 325nlt and the UV.

For those who couldn't make up their mind, or felt the need to change the emitter on a monthly basis (yes, it was pretty bad), we accommodated this up UNTIL the titanium lights started shipping. ALL of the preorder heads have been built and calibrated, so preorder emitters can NOT be changed at this point. The 16 remaining have not had the LED boards installed, which is why those can have an emitter choice.

Thor's Hammer Custom Leather Please do not post or PM me requests for HDS Systems, Inc. Those need to be emailed directly to HDS. Posted or private messaged special requests will be summarily denied.

Quote Originally Posted by tyu View Post
    Of the R9080 emitters, the NB35 is my favorite. I'm happy to have it in my Bronze. The brass NB35 currently for sale is hard to resist...
    no need to resist. It may take a few days since HDS just sold the last remaining.

no need to resist. It may take a few days since HDS just sold the last remaining.
    We have some reserved for the 16 titanium... and Natural HA.... na ha na ha na ha na ha na ha (that's not me laughing. That's me saying "natural hard anodized" several times in an evil way.
    Thor's Hammer Custom Leather Please do not post or PM me requests for HDS Systems, Inc. Those need to be emailed directly to HDS. Posted or private messaged special requests will be summarily denied.

Quote Originally Posted by Hogokansatsukan View Post
    We have some reserved for the 16 titanium... and Natural HA.... na ha na ha na ha na ha na ha (that's not me laughing. That's me saying "natural hard anodized" several times in an evil way.
    Yes, I am still waiting for the natural HA....I think we all have been for quite a while now.

I guess I need to figure out which emitter I like most but thinking SW40 if you are saving some of those. please do not throw any new emitters into the loop either...to make matters worse.
    although the new 325 would be another good option, but I feel that the NHA needs an R9080 emitter

on a side note: I did a quick look for original titanium emitter choices: This was the pick in the first 12 hours. I don't know about the orders that have come in the last week.

NB45 29
    NC57 7
    250 lumen 2
    300 lumens 6
    325 4

Also the very first post of the al-bronze/ naval brass thread; you clearly stated that the SW40 would be the first time offered for those lights; which came after the titanium

I can't believe you allowed changes up until recently. I am pretty sure you made a clear comment about making sure you know what you want cause changes would not be allowed. Sounds like you took on a new headache by being such a nice guy.

thanks for everything you have allowed us the chance to be a part of....now if we can get a better quantity of diffuse reflectors; I would be happy. I know more are coming at some time in the future; just don't want to fight the 30 second sales. I also missed out on the firefly sale as I was taking a break from the addiction here

Also the very first post of the al-bronze/ naval brass thread; you clearly stated that the SW40 would be the first time offered for those lights; which came after the titanium
    Dammit. You are right. I must be suffering from rum withdrawal. We didn't get those until after the titanium presale. Well, a few folks got them in the titanium light anyway.

The HA is a small run. Itty bitty teeny tiny. Not quite as small as the titanium twisty, but very very small. At this point, not sure how we are going to about it, but they are still bare naked aluminum so we will just have to see how they turn out once they get anodized into hopefully colors that match.

well that's a scary thought...sounds like these will go in 45sec or less. Hope I'm quick enough. Just remember, if they do not match; I still want one...even though that is not the HDS way and has been touched on several times in the NHA thread

So does this mean anyone holding their breath for a 3500k aluminum clicky should just give up and go back to breathing normally? I’m kinda figuring the na ha na ha na ha will be exclusively in rotary form? I’ve been looking forward to trying to get an aluminum clicks woth a 3500k 219b for some time, always wondering if they’ll sell out before I have a chance.

yes, I imagine all special runs will be rotary. If there are any left over emitters, they might make them available for the aluminum lights as they did with the SW45. I wouldn't mind a clicky with an SW40 or NHA with SW40 if I can be quick enough for the 30 second sale. The SW35 is a nice warm emitter and I feel that it's a bit warm for me to be my edc. Just depends on the mood or task I suppose. That's why I have a variety...I think

Dammit. You are right. I must be suffering from rum withdrawal. We didn't get those until after the titanium presale. Well, a few folks got them in the titanium light anyway.

The HA is a small run. Itty bitty teeny tiny. Not quite as small as the titanium twisty, but very very small. At this point, not sure how we are going to about it, but they are still bare naked aluminum so we will just have to see how they turn out once they get anodized into hopefully colors that match.

So a small run of HA? Is this to get the process down? Or so that there are only a few out there?
    If i had one day left to live i would want to be at my workplace.Because every day is like a frickin eternity.

Well this also seems to indicate that even if I will have a shot at my emitter choice in a standard light I won’t just be waiting until after the titanium sale, it now seems I’ll be waiting for the na ha na ha na ha sale to take place as well. This emitter seems very popular among the custom run crowd and many seem to agree on its pleasant output. Any chance HDS may be getting more of these or is this a one time deal and when they’re gone they’re gone?

Quote Originally Posted by thermal guy View Post
    So a small run of HA? Is this to get the process down? Or so that there are only a few out there?
    We are keeping it small mostly to make folks angry. Well, that and because we don't know how well it is going to work and the way we have to set them up in the tank is a pain (all individual lights will be together so they are in exactly the same spot in the tank) then have to stay together through the process... but it's mostly because I'm a jerk. It really is a test but if it works, we MIGHT do another larger run in a year or so depending. It is going to be very time intensive with no guarantee of it working.

Quote Originally Posted by InvisibleFrodo View Post
    Well this also seems to indicate that even if I will have a shot at my emitter choice in a standard light I won’t just be waiting until after the titanium sale, it now seems I’ll be waiting for the na ha na ha na ha sale to take place as well. This emitter seems very popular among the custom run crowd and many seem to agree on its pleasant output. Any chance HDS may be getting more of these or is this a one time deal and when they’re gone they’re gone?
    I'm actually trying to get more but haven't had much luck.

Oh, and NEVER hold your breath with HDS... you will suffocate.

On that note. Good night folks.
    If i had one day left to live i would want to be at my workplace.Because every day is like a frickin eternity.

I love the standard black aluminium lights. I think the best place for variety is with the emitters. Still, I'd love a nice, ugly, mismatched natural HA HDS flashlight. I'm an old school Surefire guy. In the old days, we never thought about matched anodized parts. Just sayin.
    “May it be a light to you in dark places, when all other lights go out.”
    J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring

Maybe just charge more for the "classic collectors version" mismatched ones ... win - win ?
    ... is the archimedes peak

Quote Originally Posted by archimedes View Post
    Maybe just charge more for the "classic collectors version" mismatched ones ... win - win ?
    This will be expensive enough. Please stop giving them ideas, Archi.

Quote Originally Posted by Modernflame View Post
    This will be expensive enough. Please stop giving them ideas, Archi.
    Hahaha ... joking
    ... is the archimedes peak

Trying to find the thread about how long the locator flash would continue to flash on a new primary cr123.
    I am pretty sure I remember it was in the neighborhood of months??
    I've started turning my locator flash on at night so I can find the light. I don't have a night stand and I keep the light on my desk.
    As I get older, my night vision gets worse and I find it harder to see a black light in the dark. Go figure.
    Anyway, I was just curious and I am sure it is almost negligible battery drain overnight.

Here's some more fuel for the "HDS, How much?" debate.
    I picked up a Nitecore EX10 SP this week, as I'm fascinated by the Piston Drive.
    It's a nice solid HDS sized light, but compared to the real thing it's not even in the same league.
    It's taken me 48 hours to tweak the switch to be consistent, it eats batteries for lunch and the ice white beam makes me tense.
    It was at least 10% of the price of an HDS, but I wouldn't swap them - ever.
    Henry's design is so well thought out. It has evolved over many years whereas most other lights are just one offs.
    Many people complain that HDS only makes one sort of light, but it's the evolution that makes the difference.
    I'm so pleased at this opportunity to be reminded what amazing value Henry's lights are.
    The EX10 is going to get a Nichia, if I can fit it in.

P
    I'm looking for an Ra Twisty. Please PM if you have a spare. Also looking for an MD4 tube, no tailcap necessary.
    My Twisty Thread My MD4 Thread

"There is nothing so catching as refinement"

I'll tell that to my Tailor.
    P
    I'm looking for an Ra Twisty. Please PM if you have a spare. Also looking for an MD4 tube, no tailcap necessary.
    My Twisty Thread My MD4 Thread

Quote Originally Posted by doctordun View Post
    Trying to find the thread about how long the locator flash would continue to flash on a new primary cr123.
    I've started turning my locator flash on at night so I can find the light. I don't have a night stand and I keep the light on my desk.
    As I get older, my night vision gets worse and I find it harder to see a black light in the dark. Go figure.
    Anyway, I was just curious and I am sure it is almost negligible battery drain overnight.
    I had the same problem. My solution was to purchase a tritium vial and attach it to my lights with one strand paracord. See picture below. The tritium lasts up to 10 years. I went with the smallest vial (OB1 Marker $8) because the larger ones were too bright at night. Mixglo is the company. Black is UV, white is High Noon, Red is R9080, and Blue is Golden Dragon.

Last edited by RCS1300; 04-19-2019 at 05:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RCS1300 View Post
    I had the same problem. My solution was to purchase a tritium vial and attach it to my lights with one strand paracord. See picture below. The tritium lasts up to 10 years. I went with the smallest vial (OB1 Marker $8) because the larger ones were too bright at night. Mixglo is the company. Black is UV, white is High Noon, Red is R9080, and Blue is Golden Dragon.
    Thank you much. This is a good idea.

I have a question for Henry. Since caves are utterly without light, how many lumens does he think would be useful in that situation? I would assume less than 10 since any light at all would be very bright. But then I've only visited public caves and the guides turn the lights off sometimes so the guests can get a sense of compete darkness.

I have a question for Henry. Since caves are utterly without light, how many lumens does he think would be useful in that situation? I would assume less than 10 since any light at all would be very bright. But then I've only visited public caves and the guides turn the lights off sometimes so the guests can get a sense of compete darkness.
    Wouldn't it heavily depend on the amount of space/area and the terrain you're trying to light up? Are you going fast or going slow? Trying to save battery life or in there for fun? So many variables to deal with! That's why I love my rotary with its 24 or whatever levels of brightness, very versatile and easy to adjust on the fly.

Yes its several months if memory serves. The original hds ie u60 b42 ran for like 3 years. They were MUCH more efficient on the lower levels. This is why I favour my older hds lights. If you use the lower levels and I think most of us do. The run times are crazy long.

Quote Originally Posted by peter yetman View Post
    Many people complain that HDS only makes one sort of light, but it's the evolution that makes the difference.

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast