Spent the 4th at Oak Creek Canyon.

Met a magical frog with good taste...

Thor's Hammer Custom Leather
    HDS Systems Henry's Mini-Me
    I play with dead things

Default Re: HDS Systems EDC #22

Quote Originally Posted by Hogokansatsukan View Post
    Spent the 4th at Oak Creek Canyon.
    Nice photo. I need to get out more. Why do I get the feeling that the rotary and that fixed blade were not the only cool toys that made the trip with you?
    ďMay it be a light to you in dark places, when all other lights go out.Ē
    J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring

Quote Originally Posted by Modernflame View Post
    Nice photo. I need to get out more. Why do I get the feeling that the rotary and that fixed blade were not the only cool toys that made the trip with you?
    LOL! BOB always comes along... and there are some things in BOB that would land me in prison in several states... but this is AZ, so it is all good! LOL! Just got back so time to sleep before heading to HDS in the morning.
    I play with dead things

I just got this little tank a basic 42xrgt in and had a couple of questions.

Do these take a 16340 or would that fry it?

Also, is a boot replacement possible? The switch and everything works perfectly but the silicone has begun to crack.

Otherwise loving it, especially as a low lumen connoisseur.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It does take a 16340, and it appears you can unscrew the tailcap, so you should be able to change the boot. Some battery compartment had non user replaceable rubber boot.

I am sure it is hidden somewhere in this thread: is there a chance to see some HighNoon LEDs back as option?

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by K-T View Post
    I am sure it is hidden somewhere in this thread: is there a chance to see some HighNoon LEDs back as option?
    Hogo stated somewhere here in the HDS section he will not make a limited LED runs again. At all 219C 5700K HiCRI LEDs are not easy to get today. From what I know Hogo got his 219C LEDs from Virence / Clemence. The LEDs are sold out for a long time. The best way would start with a WTB and you search actively the Clicky or Rotary with NC57.

But maybe the Samsung 5700K is a great "High Noon 2.0"?
    Still looking for Surefire G2 in Orange.
    If you have one you don't like please PM me.

I'm hoping the Samsung is a match. The Luxeon MZ was, but not the same footprint.

Just received my first HDS - a beautiful 18650 rotary. Iím not saying itís the last light I will ever own but, Iím definitely done for a while. I did notice a cosmetic issue which doesnít bother me at all but I just wanted to make sure it is cosmetic: there are many little spots in the grooves in the knurling where it seems bare aluminum is visible. This gives the impression of white dust sprinkled on the light. I donít mind the effect which is only visible upon examination, but just wanted to make sure this wonít cause any issues going forward, as I know the type 3 hard anodization is not only nice looking but also serves to toughen the light.

Picture:https://imgur.com/a/XsiBYb2
    Last edited by autumncrown; 07-11-2020 at 01:15 PM.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by autumncrown View Post
    Just received my first HDS - a beautiful 18650 rotary. Iím not saying itís the last light I will ever own but, Iím definitely done for a while. I did notice a cosmetic issue which doesnít bother me at all but I just wanted to make sure it is cosmetic: there are many little spots in the grooves in the knurling where it seems bare aluminum is visible. This gives the impression of white dust sprinkled on the light. I donít mind the effect which is only visible upon examination, but just wanted to make sure this wonít cause any issues going forward, as I know the type 3 hard anodization is not only nice looking but also serves to toughen the light.
    Did you try scrubbing the area with a rough wet cloth, to verify that it's actually missing ano, and not some type of residue or something? I would try grabbing a few pics.

EDIT: I see the pics now. Ouch. It is your decision to make, but before the "it's just a tool" comment's flood in, personally, I would find that exceptionally poor anodizing job to be unacceptable, especially considering the price you paid.
    Last edited by DayofReckoning; 07-11-2020 at 01:21 PM.

Flashaholic*

Itís just a tool.
    Big butnotsomuch-burly

Quote Originally Posted by bigburly912 View Post
    Itís just a tool.
    Yeah and I totally donít care at all about the slight cosmetic issue. Just about whether this will affect the durability of the finish, such as it is.

I like the light. Itís not perfect. But nothing is perfect. I really like it as it is. I assume that they just donít prioritize finish at HDS which is fine. They might have to pay three times as much and put a local machinist out of business for inferior machining that has a perfect finish. What they do seem to prioritize is the feel of using the light, and its durability and reliability, which are worth infinitely more to me than a perfect anodization.

Flashaholic

all at a price worthy of perfection?!?

Yeah and I totally donít care at all about the slight cosmetic issue. Just about whether this will affect the durability of the finish, such as it is.

I like the light. Itís not perfect. But nothing is perfect. I really like it as it is. I assume that they just donít prioritize finish at HDS which is fine. They might have to pay three times as much and put a local machinist out of business for inferior machining that has a perfect finish. What they do seem to prioritize is the feel of using the light, and its durability and reliability, which are worth infinitely more to me than a perfect anodization.

Flashaholic*

I was just getting that out of the way because you will get hit with it. Dayofreckoning was giving you a warning. In all seriousness if you arenít happy with it let them know about it
    Big butnotsomuch-burly

Flashaholic*

Large amounts of missing anodization, like pictured in AC's photo, are indicative of a finish that is not durable. High quality, durable anodizing does not come like that, ever. If the anodization that was applied was not strong enough to bond to all those small spots that are bare now, how could one possibly expect the finish to be durable in the long run?

Quote Originally Posted by DayofReckoning View Post
    Large amounts of missing anodization, like pictured in AC's photo, are indicative of a finish that is not durable. High quality, durable anodizing does not come like that, ever. If the anodization that was applied was not strong enough to bond to all those small spots that are bare now, how could one possibly expect the finish to be durable in the long run?
    Aren't the spots tiny air bubbles. Anodizing requires immersing the part(s) into a tank of liquid.
    This is your life, and it's ending one minute at a time.
    Be prepared for the truth.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by turbodog View Post
    Aren't the spots tiny air bubbles. Anodizing requires immersing the part(s) into a tank of liquid.
    I'm not sure the exact cause, that sounds feasible. I just know high quality, highly durable finishes don't look like that. Lot's of other HDS lights I've seen don't look like that either.

Quote Originally Posted by DayofReckoning View Post
    I'm not sure the exact cause, that sounds feasible. I just know high quality, highly durable finishes don't look like that. Lot's of other HDS lights I've seen don't look like that either.
    I have been looking and have seen a good number of HDS lights that DO look like pretty similar to this and no one seems to care. I did get an angle and lighting that would show the spots clearly also. Also here is the same light with different angle and lighting: https://imgur.com/ESgUNq5

I donít see why it would be an issue in terms of durability unless aluminum behaves like steel where if you get a bit of corrosion it can penetrate and spread, like how on a car little rusty areas need to be fixed quickly. From what I understand aluminum weathers rather well to a natural protective layer forming. Of course this light will eventually get dings anyway, so hopefully this will not be an issue for durability of the finish.

Flashaholic

while i would like to own one...

if it is not 100% perfect, i dont want it!

Jim

There are plenty of bare aluminum lights out there that hold up just fine. My bare alu Okluma has taken a beating. A few missing specks of ano in the knurling isnít unheard of, nor will it affect the durability of the light. The ano wonít protect the base metal from deforming for example, so if you use a flashlight as a hammer it will mar it whether there is anodizing on it or not. Use it and enjoy it is what I would say. These lights are most fun when they are dirty and working IMO.

My bare aluminum BOSS is holding up great, looks better and better everyday...
    http://i.imgur.com/B7VivVz.jpeg
    4500k XPL RD BOSS ē 2700k HDS Rotary ē Ra-85-Tr ē UV 365nm HDS Rotary ē 3900k HDS ē SW45 HDS (Bare Al) Rotary ē FreLux Synergy2 ē

Picture:https://imgur.com/a/XsiBYb2
    None whatsoever. Purely cosmetic.
    I play with dead things

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by AstroTurf View Post

Jim
    Makes things simple Iím sure.
    Big butnotsomuch-burly

I can testify that the ano is quite durable. In other words, the missing speck does not indicate that the ano was poorly or improperly applied. I bought this executive two years ago, with these "flaws" included. Since then, it's been in my pocket almost every day, getting freaky with everything else in my pocket. It's been used, dropped, and excessively loved. No worse for the wear.

ďMay it be a light to you in dark places, when all other lights go out.Ē
    J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by bigburly912 View Post
    Makes things simple Iím sure.
    it can be done...
    https://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...=1#post4727191

Quote Originally Posted by AstroTurf View Post

Jim
    Nothing is 100% perfect in the eyes of the beholder. Nothing.

Page 67 of 72 FirstFirst ... 175760616263646566676869707172 LastLast