NITECORE -- Keep Innovating        
Page 53 of 53 FirstFirst ... 3434647484950515253
Results 1,561 to 1,564 of 1564

Thread: HDS Systems EDC #22

Default Re: HDS Systems EDC #22

I’m wondering whether the purported Rotary issues are pre post 1670 from the HDS Systems EDC#21 thread. I bought my Rotary afterwards and it’s been buttery smooth.
    “Word salad, a tell for cognitive dissonance.” -Scott Adams [&JEDNKH] [&RSDNW] [&My_Lights]

Flashaholic

Found an interesting comparison between the following lights (actually I found this a couple of years ago, and if I recall it was one of the reasons I ended up purchasing a HDS light):

HDS T1B-200 (Tactical Clicky) 200 lumens
    Surefire EB1 300 lumens
    Surefire X300 500 lumens

https://kusemonotactical.sakura.ne.j...fireeb1backup/

The photo text says that the furthest sign is 200m, if you click the photo to enlarge, then right click and open in new tab you can see full size with more detail.

There doesn't seem to be much of a difference to me, however the HDS would have the longest runtime. Just evidence that rated lumens don't mean all that much in real life.

Bright wide beams for use in conjunction with hole punchers isn't new. I worked with Milkyspit back in 2009 and we developed the Room Sweeper... a Surefire e1e that pushed 650+ lumens at the time and was pure flood. It became a very popular mod back then. Run time was crap but it was enough to clear a big home. I used that light on duty for quite awhile. Went on to make the Shotgun Sweeper a few months later which had a pretty large hot spot and a ton of spill, obviously for mounting on a shotgun.

As far as Rotary tail issues... most of the issues are with folks OCD... not performance or reliability. "Feels gritty" or "I can hear the clicks" is NOT a reliability issue... it's a preference that people have MADE into an issue. I don't understand the noise thing... are people sneaking up on blind people with their lights?

Either way the percentage of actual Rotary tail failures is dismally small. 99.9% of actual HDS failures are in the head... not the tail. And even the Rotary tail failures that we see do not prevent the light from working as a Clicky. In other words, it isn't a catastrophic failure that stops the light from working. This doesn't stop Henry from continually working on the Rotary tail. He is doing it now... again. One also has to keep in mind that the Rotary tail has changed several times, and there isn't a way of the end user knowing which version tail internals are in there... and some of this is going to change going forward... I'm making sure of that.

Another thing to bear in mind is that there are vastly different expectations from people, and folks have to understand the underlying HDS philosophy.... If the light dies, you die. So a rotary tail that stops functioning, or starts funky functioning but continues on working as a clicky.... while not a good thing, won't kill you in a cave... or wherever it is vital you can see what you are doing. If you only go by catastrophic failure of a tail... it's even.

What the Executive style tail gives you over the Rotary style tail is the end user being able to switch between a raised or flush button themselves. Anyone taking the Rotary tail apart is a dumb-ass (I am in that category... I am a dumb-ass). After 2 years at HDS, Henry still does not allow me to do final assembly on a Rotary tail... that should say something (perhaps that I am a dumb-ass), but it is easy to mess up when it is apart... not so much when it is together... and it is very easy to tell when someone took it apart...

Adding up all Clicky style tail sales and Rotary style sales, it is about 14% Clicky, with the majority of those sales being to new customers... not repeat customers... and while I am guessing here, it is probably people wanting to get into HDS lights but spend the minimum amount without hitting the used market, as the vast majority are for the EDC Executive 250.
    Thor's Hammer Custom Leather
    HDS Systems Henry's Mini-Me
    I play with dead things

Quote Originally Posted by Hogokansatsukan View Post
    As far as Rotary tail issues... most of the issues are with folks OCD... not performance or reliability. "Feels gritty" or "I can hear the clicks" is NOT a reliability issue... it's a preference that people have MADE into an issue.

Either way the percentage of actual Rotary tail failures is dismally small. 99.9% of actual HDS failures are in the head...
    Nicely put, virtually all failures are in the head of either the light, or the user, but even then the light still works.
    Marduke - Solitaire...I've seen matches which are brighter AND have a longer runtime. 光陰矢の如し

Page 53 of 53 FirstFirst ... 3434647484950515253