The Fenix-Store        
Page 72 of 75 FirstFirst ... 22626566676869707172737475 LastLast
Results 2,131 to 2,160 of 2229

Thread: HDS Systems EDC #22

Default Re: HDS Systems EDC #22

15 shipping on TI bezel. Wish I could add to my outstanding order. :cry:

Default HDS Systems EDC #22

Quote Originally Posted by RCS1300 View Post
    I have been wearing a Casio Pathfinder Sport since 2005. The Casio sets itself nightly using the Atomic Clock and the battery charges daily with sunlight. My older eyes cannot read reverse type (white on black background) too well so my world is quite limited. The Casio does look nice next to the Titanum HDS Executive.

Awesome. I love casios. I have an F91-w that just wont quit. Yeah how are you liking your Ti HDS?

Quote Originally Posted by Hogokansatsukan View Post
    I'll most likely get the regular size in anthracite... but it may be a month or two. What started all this was my quarts Aquaracer... the battery died. I hadn't had a quartz for quite some time. I only had this 16 months... supposed to go 50 months on a battery. I hate things that stop working that I can't get working myself quickly. While time isn't nearly as important to me as it once was (hell, I work at HDS so we all know about time issues). So while I was in the store dropping off the Tag for a battery replacement, I bought a Calibre 5 Aquaracer and then ordered the GSAR which arrived the next day. Also ordering the tools to replace the battery in the quartz... which I might sell to fund the anthracite GSAR. One is none and two is one... right?
    Haha yeah. Sounds like love at first sight. The Anthracite GSAR looks so good! Im waiting for them to re-introduce their Steel Navigator next year. Like HDS Systems, I hope Marathon stays around because I love their design philosophy.

It's the GSAR... automatic....
    Quote Originally Posted by moltenmag View Post
    Gotcha. I love my 41mm TSAR. Marathons are the ultimate utilitarian tool watch. Remind me of what Rolex used to be before they became jewelry status symbols. I think youd love the larger size.
    GSAR ... TSAR ... JSAR ...

... I'm sure Hogo will tell us if we get too far OT

I think more people have asked me about this watch than any other I've ever worn.
    Last edited by archimedes; 08-10-2020 at 11:03 PM.
    ... is the archimedes peak

Awesome. I love casios. I have an F91-w that just wont quit. Yeah how are you liking your Ti HDS?
    My HDS titanium executive with the high noon LED is Awesome. I won the lottery with the Nichia 219C 5700K LED as there is no blue tint artifact in the beam.

The he only issue with my Casio watch solution is that it turns my wrist blue when it gets wet. Was looking at the Tag option mentioned above with an automatic movement, white face, and rubber strap. I understand someone will have to put the rubber strap on as that does not come with the automatic movement. Do you think a Tag will turn my wrist blue when it gets wet?

Do you think a Tag will turn my wrist blue when it gets wet?
    My skin composition is... well, I've rusted cheap watches in a few days. Silver turns black in a day on my skin. Gold, on the left hand 4th finger drains my soul.
    Does the Casio have a copper alloy back? My Tag and Marathon have never done anything like that... though the rubber band on the Marathon makes me hungry... it smells like vanilla... I wonder if HDS can start producing rubber buttons that smell like vanilla?

Haha yeah. Sounds like love at first sight. The Anthracite GSAR looks so good! Im waiting for them to re-introduce their Steel Navigator next year. Like HDS Systems, I hope Marathon stays around because I love their design philosophy.

They have been around since 1939 (earlier if you count Weinsturm Watch -1904). All watches were made in house (Canada) until the 90's, then because of government contracts, they had to outsource, which they did to Gallet & Co in Switzerland... and they have been around since 1466. I think they will stay around for some time longer.
    Last edited by Hogokansatsukan; 08-11-2020 at 08:32 AM.
    Thor's Hammer Custom Leather
    HDS Systems Henry's Mini-Me
    I play with dead things

Smile Re: HDS Systems EDC #22

Does the Casio have a copper alloy back?
    The Casio is an inexpensive watch and is probably made of an inexpensive metal. I put a Tag Heuer Aquaracer 44 mm, white dial, rubber band WAP2011.FT6027 on my consideration list for the future when the Casio stops working. I imagine in the next year or two the battery will stop charging. The thing that concerns me about the Tag is that the tritium in the dial wears out in ten years or less. Still, it may be worth it to keep my skin from changing color from an inexpensive watch.

I can appreciate why Henry does not want to put Tritium on the HDS because Tritium will wear out decades before the HDS. That reminds me, I need to put the value of my HDS lights in my Will so someone does not sell them for $25 each .
    Last edited by RCS1300; 08-11-2020 at 10:57 AM.

Tag is that the tritium in the dial wears out in ten years or less. Still, it may be worth it to keep my skin from changing color from an inexpensive watch.

I can appreciate why Henry does not want to put Tritium on the HDS because Tritium will wear out decades before the HDS. That reminds me, I need to put the value of my HDS lights in my Will so someone does not sell them for $25 each .
    Tags use Super Lumi-Nova and not tritium vials so not an issue over time but they do need to be charged with sunlight (UV... and the HDS UV works great for this) but they don't glow all night like tritium vials... I figure after 10 years, maybe there will be something else on the market... or not.

Henry is not much of a tritium guy. He just uses the locator beacon.
    I play with dead things

Unenlightened

Does anyone one both a HDS with the SS40 and the Nichia 219B 4000K emitter? I'm wondering how they compare in tint and throw as I'm thinking about chosing one of these for my stainless steel light.

Flashaholic*

I have both. I do not know if one of this LED has more throw. I never recognized at least that one has more throw. Therefore I would say it is the same from the throw.

The 219B 4000K (NB40) has a slightly rosy beam. The beam itself is 100% homogen regarding the light color. At least all my 219B HDS lights are the same with this homogen light color with the NB40. The NB45 is not that homogen with the light color.
    The SS40 is almost homogen in the beam color. But the difference is not big between inner and outer beam color. The beam itself is not that rosy.
    This rosy is the good point on the 219B xxxxK 9080 LEDs they have a lot red light (high R9 value). That is the reason why this LEDs are not Hi CRI (CRI >90), the are Ultra High CRI (CRI>95).

Either way both LEDs are great. Hope that helped a little bit.
    Last edited by WarriorOfLight; 08-12-2020 at 04:25 AM.
    Still looking for Surefire G2 in Orange.
    If you have one you don't like please PM me.

I agree with the above. The NB40 is more rosy and the SS40 is more yellow. They are very close though but forced to choose I prefer the SS40. Cant comment on beam profile and throw since I use diffuse reflectors on both

Unenlightened

Thank you both for the quick and very helpful replies

Default HDS Systems EDC #22

Quick question for the knowledgeable. Have a rotary aa on The way. Already Have a 123 & an 18650. I should be able to trade the heads around right? all rotaries.

Quote Originally Posted by Tejasandre View Post
    Quick question for the knowledgeable. Have a rotary aa on. The way. Have a 123 & a 18650. I should be able to trade the heads around right? all rotaries.
    Correct, lego away!!!
    In no order: HDS/Malkoff/OVEREADY/McGizmo/Sky Lumen -PSM

Quote Originally Posted by PoliceScannerMan View Post
    Correct, lego away!!!
    Thanks

https://freeimage.host/i/dXwTkQ

What can I do with this GD+ 120 light now? For years I kept it as is, since it's a pretty cool emitter, tight throwy beam, decent tint, etc...
    But 120 lumens only (it is well known the dark is darker nowadays than in 2012), really tight beam, and poor colour rendering...

I am torn. Keeping it intact, or modding with a Samsung 4000K for ex, a SST-20, a 219B So much choice!

Edit : for some reason I can't get the picture to show

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by Lithium466 View Post
    https://freeimage.host/i/dXwTkQ

What can I do with this GD+ 120 light now? For years I kept it as is, since it's a pretty cool emitter, tight throwy beam, decent tint, etc...
    But 120 lumens only (it is well known the dark is darker nowadays than in 2012), really tight beam, and poor colour rendering...

I am torn. Keeping it intact, or modding with a Samsung 4000K for ex, a SST-20, a 219B So much choice!

Edit : for some reason I can't get the picture to show
    I had a GD Hyper Red installed.

I just got a Ra Clicky (Seoul P4, cool) back from having an XP-L HI 5000k installed. Highly, highly recommended update. Probably 200+ lumens now, low-low is the equivalent of the "old" level 5 or so.
    The TK20. Yes, it still rocks- WoodsWalker

Yep. That didn't last long.

I play with dead things

Yep. That didn't last long.

no kidding,
    Current 24/7 (2019) primary- HDS Rotary 325 long Cree XP-G3 5000K; secondary - HDS Rotary High Noon Nichia 219c; HDS Rotary 219b 3500k 9080; HDS Brass; HDS TI; HDS UV; Past: JETBeam Raptor; Other: Malkoff Converted Surefire 6p 6z and Fenix, Olight, JETBeam, Surefire, Thrunite, www.AestheticPhotos.com

... So while I was in the store dropping off the Tag for a battery replacement, I bought a Calibre 5 Aquaracer and then ordered the GSAR which arrived the next day. Also ordering the tools to replace the battery in the quartz... which I might sell to fund the anthracite GSAR.
    Which quartz Aquaracer do you have?

I keep a couple of the medium quartz Marathons around as daily beaters, working on equipment, farm stuff, knocking into walls, Shooting, keep my automatics for dress use and in the safe. I am saving for a medium arctic with stainless band this fall, although I may sell a lens or knife.
    Current 24/7 (2019) primary- HDS Rotary 325 long Cree XP-G3 5000K; secondary - HDS Rotary High Noon Nichia 219c; HDS Rotary 219b 3500k 9080; HDS Brass; HDS TI; HDS UV; Past: JETBeam Raptor; Other: Malkoff Converted Surefire 6p 6z and Fenix, Olight, JETBeam, Surefire, Thrunite, www.AestheticPhotos.com

Which quartz Aquaracer do you have?
    The WAY111Z. It has an alarm... that I never use.
    I play with dead things

Unenlightened

I did a little beamshot comparison (for the first time).
    From left to right: Rotary NB35 (3500K), Rotary L5D2V4 (3900K), RRT01 (2020, Nichia, Im guessing in between 3500 and 4000K), Rotary SST-20 (4000K).

[IMG][/IMG]

And here's the Jetbeam RRT01 (left) and the Rotary SST-20 (right) only:

[IMG][/IMG]

The white balance of the camera is set to 3700K.
    Taking this picture I really learnt to appreciate the value of high cri for the first time. It is almost shocking to see how green the low cri lights look in comparison (the rrt01 is supposed to be high cri but I don't believe that now).
    To be fair: the green isn't really visible to my naked eye, especially not when Im lighting up anything that isn't a white wall.
    Actually I meant to share these photos in the thread for the RRT01 as I just got that light in the mail. But seeing how poorly it compares to my high cri HDS lights I decided it's a better idea to praise the quality of the well tested HDS emitters instead. I do like the jetbeam and it's high output (rotary control is very responsive, the ultra low moonlight mode and the stepless dimming are very cool and it has a nice clip) but it's wobbly tail standing and feeling how the torch gets hot almost immediately on high I know deep down that this is not the light that I would trust on getting me home should I ever get stuck in the dark.

Last edited by snowdriver; 08-17-2020 at 04:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by snowdriver View Post
    (the rrt01 is supposed to be high cri but I don't believe that now).
    Is this the Cree or Nichia version? I'm assuming the Nichia version.
    Anybody ever put one on an integrating sphere?
    I play with dead things

unfortunately, the 2020 RRT-01 with Nichia is NOT high CRI. None of the prior versions are High CRI either, but they are moddable.

Testing (not by me) confirmed the 2020 RRT-01 has negative R9, typical of Low CRI LEDs

I prefer my lights modded to sw45k :-)

I do not have equipment to test CRI, I rely on others, for example here is maukka's test of the sw45k

here is one of his tests of the LH351d 5000k

I agree completely that LED vary, in this case the 351d dogfart maukka tested, has higher R9 (Red output) than the one HDS tested.

I also agree that different hosts and lenses have an impact on spectrum, but it is not as significant as inherent R9, duv (tint), and hotspot size differences between a dogfart and an sw45k

I am curious if the smaller more focused hotspot of the sw45k will have more throw than the LH351d, in an HDS. Which is why I asked about Throw specs.

I found one of my High CRI SW45k mods to have more throw, than a larger Low CRI LED with more lumens
    comparing an RRT-01 w XM-L (large hotspot, high lumen, Low CRI)
    and an RRT-01 w sw45k (small hotspot, less high lumen, High CRI)
    the smaller high CRI LED had more throw (measured brighter, by me using a light meter in the hotspot on the wall)
    but I do not have candela info from those tests.

and the next time I ran that test, I did not get more throw from the High CRI.. oh well...
    speculation runs rampant :-)
    Last edited by jon_slider; 08-18-2020 at 02:25 PM.

My best WAG would be that the sw45k would throw further being a much smaller die, but would it be something the human eye could tell... not my eyes at least! LOL! I don't have a sw45k currently, but maybe I will put one of my yet to be built special metal lights just so I have one... that could still be awhile.
    I know a lot of folks love the sw45... for me it was just too pink... but then I don't eat critters with less than 2 legs or more than 4 and a lot of people will pay big bucks to eat ocean insects. It is just a matter of preference and taste. I tend to prefer things closer to the equal energy point x.333 y.333 or to the "creamier" side of white.
    Have found that how/what level an emitter is driven at makes a huge difference (well, easily a couple points in CRI depending on the emitter).

I'm going to toss a current RRT01 on the sphere Monday if I remember.
    I play with dead things

Which Nichia 219b did the 170N's have?
    In no order: HDS/Malkoff/OVEREADY/McGizmo/Sky Lumen -PSM

the LH351d is an excellent alternative for people that prefer less pink than sw45k
    I like the LH351d tint a bit more than the 3 0'clock
    your side by side beam shot confirmed that

slicing the dome of the dog
    is a popular option that brings the duv closer to the BBL, and increases throw

I consider the RRT-01 a viable host for an LED swap, Im not happy with any of the stock LEDs

I love the sw45k so much, that when maukka put his HDS Rotary w sw45k up for sale, I talked a friend into buying it, to save myself from the temptation :-)

HDS power management is far more sophisticated than on the RRT-01, which relies on the operator to control temperature, and monitor battery capacity.

One of the things HDS does really well, is to prevent sudden darkness when using protected cells.

I dont like sudden darkness from tripping the protection when using RRT-01, so I live dangerously and use Unprotected IMR in my Jetbeams.

Quote Originally Posted by PoliceScannerMan View Post
    Which Nichia 219b did the 170N's have?
    according to this, 4500k
    but not as pink as the sw45k, and not 90/80 (CRI Ra / CRI R9)
    iow, less red output than the sw45k, and less pink tint
    Last edited by jon_slider; 08-18-2020 at 01:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jon_slider View Post
    according to this, 4500k
    but not as pink as the sw45k, and not 90/80 (CRI Ra / CRI R9)
    iow, less red output than the sw45k, and less pink tint
    If I remember correctly, which is possible but not probable, these were the ones that, according to the data sheet, were supposed to be high CRI but didn't reach 90 CRI when tested on the sphere.
    I play with dead things

Page 72 of 75 FirstFirst ... 22626566676869707172737475 LastLast