Imalent        
Page 2 of 32 FirstFirst 12345678912 ... LastLast

Thread: HDS Systems EDC #22

Default Re: HDS Systems EDC #22

Very nice ozy

Very, very smart Ozzy.
    Is that usual to have an O ring between the head and the bezel?
    P
    Peter's shopping list:- HDS / Oveready 170N Exec/LE and an Oveready V4 Nichia Drop In. Otherwise I'm content. Want want want, that's me.

Quote Originally Posted by peter yetman View Post
    Very, very smart Ozzy.
    Is that usual to have an O ring between the head and the bezel?
    P
    That's the edge of the reflector. Not sure if it's anodized or what, but it's more noticeable on cerakote (not black) lights. Didn't you have an orange light?

Unenlightened

Does anyone know what's going on with the 18650 rotary? Have been checking literally every day and it's never in stock... makes me sad.

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by Slumber Pass View Post
    That's the edge of the reflector. Not sure if it's anodized or what, but it's more noticeable on cerakote (not black) lights. Didn't you have an orange light?
    I think Peter's been drinking too much of his own product.

Quote Originally Posted by Slumber Pass View Post
    Yes, don't remember the black edge, though.

Quote Originally Posted by GoVegan View Post
    I think Peter's been drinking too much of his own product.
    Ha! Not at this time of the morning.
    P
    Peter's shopping list:- HDS / Oveready 170N Exec/LE and an Oveready V4 Nichia Drop In. Otherwise I'm content. Want want want, that's me.

I really like the Factory HDS announcement thread. Any update on the possibility for the previously mentioned Bronze Executive coming up after the Titanium?

Quote Originally Posted by RCS1300 View Post
    I really like the Factory HDS announcement thread. Any update on the possibility for the previously mentioned Bronze Executive coming up after the Titanium?
    Nothing will happen with that until this current special metal run is done and gone... but Henry stopped throwing things at me when I bring it up which is a good sign.
    Thor's Hammer Custom Leather
    HDS Systems Henry's Mini-Me
    I play with dead things

I also think that the factory announcement thread, locked and official-only, is a brilliant idea!

The news about the 16340s is very exciting for me; I'm looking forward to HDS-recommended rechargeables very much.

It's all coming together, boys. Soon we can scavenge the left over specialty emitters in the form of aluminium lights.
    ďMay it be a light to you in dark places, when all other lights go out.Ē
    J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring

Anyone else using orbitronic 16340ís? Iíve been burning through 1-2 a week and they have great runtime and seem to be a very quality battery.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockjunkie15 View Post
    Anyone else using orbitronic 16340ís? Iíve been burning through 1-2 a week and they have great runtime and seem to be a very quality battery.
    I have had a pretty terrible experience with Fenix ARB-L16-700 cells. I bought a four-pack and two of them quit working in my HDS lights less than four months. The two that continue to work are both crushed in on the negative side. I plan to continue using them until they quit.

I almost ordered Olight 16340 cells to replace the Fenix, but decided at the last moment to wait until the Fenix actually failed.

I've heard good things about the Olights. I also heard good things about the Fenix cells.

That is why I'm so happy that we might get HDS-recommended cells soon - it will be very nice to able to order with confidence.

Quote Originally Posted by caelyx View Post
    Thanks for the link to the existing beam shot! That was really useful.

Thanks too for the kind offer to take some photos when yours arrives. If itís practical, Iíd be keen to see two comparisons in particular: an inside shot to see whether the CRI difference is very noticeable in everyday use, and an outdoor shot that shows the hotspot/spill shapes.

Ill put up a few preliminary beam shots for comparison and a few thoughts on the 3900K

first some up on the wall

crossed beams! But you can see the size difference in the hot spot from the 3900 and 5700

Some color rendering

on the path at night

control

Heres the xp-g3 again for a throw comparison

I wanted to spend a couple days with the 3900K before i submitted my opinion, because i liked it so much from the first click. The tint is very very nice at night, especially indoors. The beam is wide and soft and does a great job lighting up the room in a swath of light. The hotspot is significantly larger then the high noon and xp-g3 with very generous spill, i appreciate a floody light indoors and this fits the bill. The CRI has gotta be around 80 and while its not the high noon, its super pleasing and i find myself reaching for this around the house and yard in the evening. The 5000K xp-g3 has more throw and i still favor that light outside at night - thats my go to for longer excursions, messing around in the woods or going into town at night. The high noon rides in my pocket every day especially at work, but this 3900K has found a permanent place on my nightstand and travels with me once i am in for the night. Really just a nice soft wide beam that has a soothing quality. Its pretty nice to have that soft warm beam on low and medium and then still have 300 Lumens on tap just a press away. This one is a keeper
    Last edited by DinoCakes; 03-09-2019 at 09:25 AM.

You have put into words how I am feeeling about those exact lights. I have an issue as I have made the choice to only keep two. I have a "collection" but I am trying to move forward with keeping my light collection consisting of working lights. Three new lights seems a bit excessive for me, especially with my eyes on a Ti.

Ok, all this to aske if you could only keep two, what two?

Quote Originally Posted by DinoCakes View Post
    Heres the xp-g3 again for a throw comparison

Thank you for posting (or re-posting) this photo. You sold me on the XP-g3 if I am not fast enough on the keyboard to secure one of the last two Titanium Rotaries available. I have quickened my internet connection and I am practicing my Jedi speed on the keyboard as we speak.

Is there only two left up for grabs? Though there was a few more then that. 😭
    If i had one day left to live i would want to be at my workplace.Because every day is like a frickin eternity.

I have located a seller with a Titanium RaClicky.

Does anyone know for certain what is required for a Titanium RaClicky to be changed from a flush switch to a raised switch? Does it require a new Titanium end cap?

Just unscrew the end cap and remove the boot retainer ring
    You just need a raised button.

I wanted to spend a couple days with the 3900K before i submitted my opinion, because i liked it so much from the first click. [Ö] this 3900K has found a permanent place on my nightstand and travels with me once i am in for the night. Really just a nice soft wide beam that has a soothing quality. Its pretty nice to have that soft warm beam on low and medium and then still have 300 Lumens on tap just a press away. This one is a keeper
    Thank you for the beam shots and the thoughtful review!

Quote Originally Posted by klackey View Post
    Ok, all this to ask if you could only keep two, what two?
    Thats so difficult to answer and such a subjective question i have to defer to "it depends"

i know i always want to have a high noon, during the day it is unbeatable for me. I need it every day multiple times a day at work and use it all the time, i do very much enjoy it on full blast at night, but those duties have mostly been handed off to the XP-G3 lately. The high noon to me is a very special emitter, its a "cool" light that doesnt hurt my head or have any imperfections. I still marvel in how it renders greens, reds, and browns. From a purely practical perspective, i think of you had to get rid of one, you are well covered with the 3900 and the 5700, since they are so different in tint and beam pattern, there is some overlap with the G3. I am not getting rid of any of them anytime soon, and they each see regular use depending on the scope of the activity. From a purely "tactical" perspective The G3 has more focused lumens downrange, and the 3900 is a great whole room lighter-upper. Do with that what you will depending on your particular outlook.

I really cant choose, the 3900 is my newest so its my darling right now - i wish i could be more conclusive but they each bring a different value to the game so i guess it depends on how you play it.

...... i guess the high noon is best during the day, the cri is super sweet,.......the G3 is made to be used outside - perfect workhorse for that - and it is noticeably brighter to me - ........ and the 3900 is a dream to use inside and close up at lower levels.

thats the best i can offer, i am sure i didnt help you decide at all - maybe try this - Take one light out of your for one week each, move the one you miss the least after that trial period

Quote Originally Posted by caelyx View Post
    Thank you for the beam shots and the thoughtful review!

you are most welcome, ..... i got to run around with a handful of HDS's so you know the pleasure was all mine - my very opinion based conclusion is that the 3900K is very underrated if you are a fan of neutral/warm emitters that have lots of spill and a big soft hotspot (i find that the XP-L always has a ton of flood)

I still hope to be able to snag one of the warmer-ish high CRI Nichias after the "runs of envy" but i will not feel like i have a lesser light with the 3900K, not at all, and no matter what i very much doubt it gets replaced as my nightstand companion

Thank you for posting (or re-posting) this photo. You sold me on the XP-g3 if I am not fast enough on the keyboard to secure one of the last two Titanium Rotaries available. I have quickened my internet connection and I am practicing my Jedi speed on the keyboard as we speak.
    no doubt! happy to be of use -

if you are going to use it for extended walks with your pupper, just like me, then suspect you will like it just fine. Just stick that 18650 body on there and blast away. One of my favorite things about HDS, now that i have the AA and 18650 body I can swap around my executive heads according to whatever power source i want.

- my only thing with the G3, give it some time before you formulate your opinion - when i first got it i couldnt help but compare it to my high noon, i wasnt displeased with it at all, but i didnt really appreciate it - until i actually started using it, and then kept using it.

no doubt! happy to be of use -

if you are going to use it for extended walks with your pupper, just like me, then suspect you will like it just fine. Just stick that 18650 body on there and blast away. One of my favorite things about HDS, now that i have the AA and 18650 body I can swap around my executive heads according to whatever power source i want.
    As I am getting older my bicycle rides are getting shorter and my dog walks are getting longer. Going to move to the shorter 123a tube for the Spring/Summer/Fall as I will not be wearing the big gloves like I do during the winter. That is why I had Dan at Thors Custom Leather make me a belt clip battery holster/pouch. I like running my lights at max most of the walks with Burst disabled so the battery lasts about one walk or a little less.

...... i guess the high noon is best during the day, the cri is super sweet,.......the G3 is made to be used outside - perfect workhorse for that - and it is noticeably brighter to me - ........ and the 3900 is a dream to use inside and close up at lower levels.
    I see a fourth LED emitter in your future - the 219b 4000K R9080. It may even replace your 3900K indoors due to the High CRI and soft nature of the LED. It is my next choice too as my favorite now is the 219b 4000K R9050.

I see a fourth LED emitter in your future - the 219b 4000K R9080. It may even replace your 3900K indoors due to the High CRI and soft nature of the LED. It is my next choice too as my favorite now is the 219b 4000K R9050.

I like the way you see the future. Thatís the one Iím most interested in

Flashaholic*

I bought around 10 HDS lights if you include my 3 novatacs and the only one that has stayed with me is my 4000k R9050 rotary. Itís perfection. I need a cool rotary now though.
    hunter, fisherman, flashlight enthusiast

I wonder what this inscription on the right above the board can mean?

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by desert.snake View Post
    I wonder what this inscription on the right above the board can mean?
    This identifies the LED. If I remember correctly I have also a HDS with this "marking". This should be the 250 Lumens XP-G2 LED if I remember correctly.
    For example, the Nichia 219c lights has markings NC27, NC30, NC35, NC40.
    Still looking for Surefire G2 in Orange.
    If you have one you don't like please PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by WarriorOfLight View Post
    This identifies the LED. If I remember correctly I have also a HDS with this "marking". This should be the 250 Lumens XP-G2 LED if I remember correctly.
    For example, the Nichia 219c lights has markings NC27, NC30, NC35, NC40.
    Thank you!

I would like to see something like the 4000k R9080 but with the broader hotspot and higher lumens of the 3900k.

Page 2 of 32 FirstFirst 12345678912 ... LastLast