Prometheus        
Page 4 of 33 FirstFirst 123456789101114 ... LastLast

Thread: HDS Systems EDC #22

Default Re: HDS Systems EDC #22

I heard they’re more like tangerine peel, than orange peel.

/jk

Quote Originally Posted by tech25 View Post
    Henry and Hogo causing more trouble... OP reflectors shipped in the brass, Ti and bronze lights. Not available for anyone else as of yet. Don’t bug them!!

Im curious how this matches up to the old OP and current reflectors.
    That was quite a surprise...OP reflectors...I’m also curious how they match up to the current smooth reflector. As I remember from some long time users, there was not a big difference when HDS had went to the smooth reflector...
    I only fear that if something happens to me, my wife will sell all my stuff for what I told her I paid for it.

I'm excited about the prospect of swindling an OP reflector someday, but I've also read that there's only a minor difference between it and the smooth reflector. I'll wait for a verdict from the experts before I get my hopes up.
    “May it be a light to you in dark places, when all other lights go out.”
    J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring

It will be an interesting comparison...This makes me think...one reason I’m a big HDS fan is the companies commitment to sourcing parts made in USA wherever feasible. I know they lost their USA source for OP reflectors and could only get USA-made smooth so...goodbye OP. They could have easily out-sourced but refused. I wish more companies had this philosophy.
    I only fear that if something happens to me, my wife will sell all my stuff for what I told her I paid for it.

Gives me chills to see all of those super high CRI options on the custom build page. Reminds me of the pre-order frenzy of July 6th, 2018. The veterans may correct me, but that has to be one of the most epic moments in HDS history.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by Modernflame View Post
    Gives me chills to see all of those super high CRI options on the custom build page. Reminds me of the pre-order frenzy of July 6th, 2018. The veterans may correct me, but that has to be one of the most epic moments in HDS history.
    Yes, and also a lot of people were waiting for the TI rotary. I was waiting for years. And soon this wait will be over and I have a Ti Rotary
    I think the Ti rotary preorder day will be a day of HDS history for a long time. The idea at all was also a success. I am happy that all the time & work that Hogo did for the Ti Run was an good investment. It would have been a pity if only - let say 7 people - would have been ordered a Ti Rotary.

Guess Hogo made a "better" HDS in 2018 with all the cool ideas - special material runs, GITD Reflectors, limited LED selections.

Btw. does anyone know how much Ti Rotaries will be there in total, and how much are still available? We know there are 42 Brass and 20 Bronze Rotaries (hope I remember correctly - my brain is getting old), but I never read the number of Ti Rotaries...
    Last edited by WarriorOfLight; 03-19-2019 at 12:07 AM.
    Still looking for Surefire G2 in Orange.
    If you have one you don't like please PM me.

I got all excited there before I realized I can’t put one in an aluminum body... Sad day.

Quote Originally Posted by InvisibleFrodo View Post
    I got all excited there before I realized I can’t put one in an aluminum body... Sad day.
    Didn’t Hogo say that after the special metals run was completed, the remaining High CRI emitters would be made available in aluminum lights? Maybe I’m wrong but I would swear I read that...

Maybe he meant the OP reflector?

Hogo said the extra leds will be available after all the special metals were done.

The OP reflector he said not to bug him he will let us know if and when they will be available.

Yes he did. Just have a feeling what I want either will be all gone, or sell out in 30 seconds

Default HDS Systems EDC #22

Oops...
    Last edited by Johnnyh; 03-19-2019 at 06:34 AM. Reason: Deleted

Hey Frodo, there may be more extras than you think...anyways, I have no real facts to base this on but it seems that the High CRI offerings are in demand and although the 219b R9080 may be an “endangered species” it only makes good business sense that HDS would continue to explore and offer even better, high efficiency, high CRI emitters as they become available. I think the future looks bright!

Quote Originally Posted by InvisibleFrodo View Post
    Yes he did. Just have a feeling what I want either will be all gone, or sell out in 30 seconds
    Shouldn’t worry much, if some of our comrades post messages on the WTB forum and they manage to buy titanium clicky ten years after they are run, so there is a chance find R9080 SW45 also

Quote Originally Posted by tech25 View Post
    Henry and Hogo causing more trouble... OP reflectors shipped in the brass, Ti and bronze lights. Not available for anyone else as of yet. Don’t bug them!!

Im curious how this matches up to the old OP and current reflectors.
    I have a few of the op reflectors from before. They are all different as in terms of the surface 1 is very light orange peel and like a mirror finish not Matt like some of the smooth ones... this one is my favorite and yes there is a slight difference but only if you’re as critical as I am!
    Most wouldn’t be bothered nor be able to see the difference depth or the amount of space between the reflector and the head body or led itself also has a lot to do with it.
    Don’t Tread On Me

The yellow sticker in an HDS light has been used for both the 100 lumen and the 325 lumen light. Is it also being used for the 300 lumen WW light?

Quote Originally Posted by wacbzz View Post
    The yellow sticker in an HDS light has been used for both the 100 lumen and the 325 lumen light. Is it also being used for the 300 lumen WW light?
    The 300 is yellow with a tiny bit of red visible underneath.

Quote Originally Posted by Slumber Pass View Post
    The 300 is yellow with a tiny bit of red visible underneath.
    Interesting. Thanks for making me really look...

Is the white board a new thing as well, or has it been around a while?

White board is relatively new. Was changed about 6 months ago or so.
    Thor's Hammer Custom Leather
    HDS Systems Henry's Mini-Me
    I play with dead things

Three of my four have the white board. I did not realize that it was a universal change. Thought maybe some emitters had it and others did not.

I'm kind of dense.
    Can someone remind me what is great about the US made orange peel reflectors over the normal reflectors?
    Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by doctordun View Post
    I'm kind of dense.
    Can someone remind me what is great about the US made orange peel reflectors over the normal reflectors?
    Thank you.
    There's a slightly smoother transition from the hotspot to spill. It's not a game changer, some people enjoy the beam a bit more with OP. Current smooth reflectors are plenty smooth. You're talking to white wall hunters here.

Quote Originally Posted by toads View Post
    It's not a game changer.
    +1. When I bought my 2nd HDS light (219b hi cri), she came unexpectedly with a smooth reflector. My first was a GD 140 with an OP. At the time, I didn’t know the reason for the change and assumed it was to bump the throw of the nichia. I didn’t notice a difference in beam quality, but assumed I was getting a bit more throw. And I was perfectly happy regardless. Since then all my HDS lights have had smooth reflector. On the range of upgrades, I put an OP reflector somewhere between 219b 9050 improving to 9080 and natty HA.
    My Lights

Quote Originally Posted by toads View Post
    It's not a game changer...
    Is this the consensus view? If so, that's disappointing. I was hoping to improve the spill so I could navigate at lower levels of output.

Imo you would be hard pressed to see the difference. You have the same problem as I do.I have to run the higher levels in order to get the brightness in the spill I’m looking for.
    If i had one day left to live i would want to be at my workplace.Because every day is like a frickin eternity.

+1, not a game changer.
    I like a bigger emitter (Luxeon MZ or Samsung LH351D) in my "house" HDS for the bigger/brighter spill.

Edit : I would say it's perhaps more the aspect of the reflector when you look at it, cause the current smooth/cracked is quite ugly. Then if you only look at the reflector, well maybe you don't really need a light. But it would sure increase the perceived value of the object. I guess.
    Last edited by Lithium466; 03-23-2019 at 07:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lithium466 View Post
    ... perhaps more the aspect of the reflector when you look at it.
    Good post. Started laughing when I read it, because it's representative of my kind of weird decision-making.

I read somewhere that smooth reflectors, which supposedly eke out a bit more throw, are more difficult/expensive to make, because even small abnormalities on a smooth surface can cause beam artifacts. So some manufacturers default to OP for a more forgiving reflector. I think it might have been on the PFlexPro website, which is currently down. I've talked to Randy a good bit and think he's pretty knowledgeable. He offers three types of reflectors: smooth, OP, and hybrid, which combines OP near the emitter and then transitions quickly to mostly smooth. But maybe all of this is fake news.

But I'm all for extra options on the HDS Custom Light builder page, and love the commitment to Made in the USA.
    Last edited by lion504; 03-23-2019 at 07:58 AM.
    My Lights

Quote Originally Posted by Lithium466 View Post
    Edit : I would say it's perhaps more the aspect of the reflector when you look at it, cause the current smooth/cracked is quite ugly. Then if you only look at the reflector, well maybe you don't really need a light. But it would sure increase the perceived value of the object. I guess.
    I'll admit to some snobbery, but I've never been troubled by the appearance of the smooth reflector. Interestingly, I recently bought one from Unique Titanium and it doesn't have the tooling marks that characterize the other smooth reflectors. It has almost a powdered texture. They are all individual snowflakes, but the beam is always the same.

Hogokansatsukan, this is a change of topic..... or not.

I am intrigued with your "screen name"..... meaning?

Ok, real question, now that the special material runs are about done at the machinist level..... any ETA on the 18650 tubes?

Now to the general population...……… How would you compare the 18650 tube to the standard 123 tube for EDC?

Spoke with the machinist on Monday and am getting 3 times the usual number of 18650 tubes... but they are still several months out as there is another part we need sooner.
    Thor's Hammer Custom Leather
    HDS Systems Henry's Mini-Me
    I play with dead things

Page 4 of 33 FirstFirst 123456789101114 ... LastLast