Maxtorch        
Page 5 of 32 FirstFirst 12345678910111215 ... LastLast

Thread: HDS Systems EDC #22

Default Re: HDS Systems EDC #22

Quote Originally Posted by klackey View Post
    Now to the general population...……… How would you compare the 18650 tube to the standard 123 tube for EDC?
    I like the feel of the cr123 in hand much better but as I prefer rechargeable batteries, I find the runtime of the 18650 to be significantly better. I am coming from carrying a surefire G2 and then a Malkoff MD2 at work so the 18650 tube is pretty much the same length but feels more like a Surefire e series light (it is a bit thicker but more comfortable for me to hold). I also have a Thors hammer holster that works perfectly for the 18650 tube so I don't mind the extra length too much.

So for regular EDC use, I find the trade off of the extra length for runtime is worth it but if HDS wants to send me a prototype 18350 body, cough, cough, I would switch to that unless I needed much more runtime.

Quote Originally Posted by klackey View Post

Now to the general population...……… How would you compare the 18650 tube to the standard 123 tube for EDC?

The 18650 battery compartment makes the HDS flashlight about 1.3 inches longer than the 123a battery compartment.

Choosing one battery compartment over the other really depends on how you plan to use the light. I was changing batteries in the 123a compartment daily and sometimes twice daily so I went the the 18650 battery compartment for certain parts of the day - sun down to sunrise. During the day I go to a HDS light with a 123a battery compartment because it is a smaller package.

For times when I need a compact solution, or want to use my HDS Titanium Executive 24/7, I had Dan at Thors Custom Leather make me a battery pouch that can safely carry four CR123 size batteries or two 18650 batteries. See picture below.

Last edited by RCS1300; 03-28-2019 at 06:46 AM.

Trying to remember. When changing from one chemistry battery to another with a 123 compartment, is it necessary to to reset the light?
    Is there enough difference in the batteries to warrant a reset so the light is not confused?
    I use topped off 16340's for daily carry and keep a primary as a spare on my keychain.

From the manual...

No special actions are needed to use rechargeable Lithium-ion batteries. Your flashlight detects them automatically.
    However, if you have been using rechargeable Lithium-ion batteries and want to return to using regular (non-rechargeable) batteries, you must perform a reset. The simplest way to perform a reset is to turn on your flashlight and open the battery compartment until your flashlight turns off and then replace the battery compartment. If you fail to perform a reset when returning to using non-rechargeable batteries, your flashlight will act as if the new non-rechargeable battery needs replacing – just do a reset to restore normal operation.
    In general, primary (non-rechargeable) batteries provide longer runtimes. However, rechargeable batteries provide a lower cost of operation and allow you to always leave home with a full battery.

P
    Peter's shopping list:- HDS / Oveready 170N Exec/LE and an Oveready V4 Nichia Drop In. Otherwise I'm content. Want want want, that's me.

Also don't put partially discharged rechargables into your light after a reset. It may think it's a regular 123 and suck it dry to the point of no return.

Not sure if HDS is still interested in the Nichia 219b R9080 4500 LEDs. Apparently, the seller below has a a few dozen of them. My preference is the High Noon.

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...9B-R9080-sw45k

Nah bro...HDS limited emitters are $30 not $5.

Quote Originally Posted by Slumber Pass View Post
    My understanding is that the $5 emitter does not include creating a special small quantity run with a third party vendor to machine mount the special emitters into the head of HDS flashlights.

Quote Originally Posted by Slumber Pass View Post
    Lol.

I've had my rotary for a couple of months now. While I don't foresee selling it, I still prefer the clickie interface. With that being said, I'll have to confess to a few late night switch clicking mishaps. Last night I tried to switch on my 4000K executive and then double click for the C setting, but somehow I stumbled into the lockout. It's all about the timing, but I never claimed to be graceful. If you're klutzy like me, you might be better off with the rotary.
    “May it be a light to you in dark places, when all other lights go out.”
    J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring

Quote Originally Posted by Modernflame View Post
    I've had my rotary for a couple of months now. While I don't foresee selling it, I still prefer the clickie interface. With that being said, I'll have to confess to a few late night switch clicking mishaps. Last night I tried to switch on my 4000K executive and then double click for the C setting, but somehow I stumbled into the lockout. It's all about the timing, but I never claimed to be graceful. If you're klutzy like me, you might be better off with the rotary.
    As a self diagnosed klutz, this is exactly why I went for the rotary and didn't even bother to change anything from the default settings. I can hand it to myself or someone else in any state on inebriation and it will work as long as you press on the right end of it.

Last night I tried to switch on my 4000K executive and then double click for the C setting, but somehow I stumbled into the lockout. It's all about the timing, but I never claimed to be graceful. If you're klutzy like me, you might be better off with the rotary.
    Nah. Think of it this way. Click once to turn the light on. Once you know the light is on, you are free to navigate the lumen levels.

I also prefer the Executive interface as it is simple with only one control. No need to manipulate the light within the hand, and risk dropping the light or waste valuable time, to get to the second control once you use the first control. Plus the Executive interface gives the user a much better estimation of battery life remaining since the lumen settings are fixed.
    Last edited by RCS1300; 03-30-2019 at 09:29 AM.

Flashaholic*

The NB45 9080 is a great LED. I am one of the few owners of a aluminum Rotary with a NB45 9080 LED. I really understand that a lot peopl likes this LED.

But I think HDS will not increase the stock of this LEDs. But I may be wrong. From what I understood HDS will not hold a large stock with the limited LED offers. That gives us all also the possibility that HDS may offer new LEDs in the next month without having the Problem that old LEDs will not be sold anymore since the newer one are "cooler" or "better"...

Btw. some time ago (a month or so) Andy Zhu had Nichia 219B 9080 LEDs for a good Price. I got a few NB35 9080 from him.
    Last edited by WarriorOfLight; 03-31-2019 at 01:53 AM.
    Still looking for Surefire G2 in Orange.
    If you have one you don't like please PM me.

Hi Y'all!

Greetings from Borneo!

I'm just introducing myself as a new HDS owner and user. Here's a recent pic of my rig with Atwood bead and dangler, attached with a zip tie, filed down and smoothed over.
    [IMG]20190327_141042-2.jpg[/IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by RCS1300 View Post
    Plus the Executive interface gives the user a much better estimation of battery life remaining since the lumen settings are fixed.
    For your rotary, leave the turn on as Rotary and switch the others to your most used levels. That gives you 3 predictable levels for any runtime needs. Another way is what (I believe) jon_slider pointed out- know approximately what levels are on the 1/4, 1/2 and 3/4 turns of the dial. That gives you runtime estimates. If you need exact or else your in danger, that’s what the other bunch of lights -you should be carrying as a flashaholic- are for. .

Im not anti the executive, I do plan on getting one down the road just trying help you enjoy the rotary more.

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Chalmers View Post
    Hi Y'all!

Greetings from Borneo!

I'm just introducing myself as a new HDS owner and user. Here's a recent pic of my rig with Atwood bead and dangler, attached with a zip tie, filed down and smoothed over.
    [IMG]20190327_141042-2.jpg[/IMG]
    Hi Charles, you almost got the image post right.
    You need the whole URL including the File Server.
    E.G. http:///www.yourserver.com/pics/20190327_141042-2.jpg

Welcome to the madness.
    P
    Peter's shopping list:- HDS / Oveready 170N Exec/LE and an Oveready V4 Nichia Drop In. Otherwise I'm content. Want want want, that's me.

I love my rotary NB45 9080, it is all I carry at the moment, the tint and the cri are just too nice

Default HDS Systems EDC #22

I like the rotary as it's basically an executive with fine tuning if needed.
    Last edited by INFRNL; 04-06-2019 at 12:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LuxTacGear View Post
    I love my rotary NB45 9080, it is all I carry at the moment, the tint and the cri are just too nice
    Every time someone brings it up, I start gushing about the NB45. For me, the NB45 and the High Noon are the perfect night time / day time duo. Eventually, someone will create an emitter that I like even more, but that is hard to imagine.

Every time someone brings it up, I start gushing about the NB45. For me, the NB45 and the High Noon are the perfect night time / day time duo. Eventually, someone will create an emitter that I like even more, but that is hard to imagine.
    I remember back when you couldn't make the leap for a hds....now look at you. Speaking of, how many do you have now?

Quote Originally Posted by INFRNL View Post
    I remember back when you couldn't make the leap for a hds....now look at you. Speaking of, how many do you have now?
    I've got four now but that may be my stopping point. I have fun with this hobby, but I've learned to enjoy what I have without buying new stuff all the time. Well, I try anyway. The next run of super high CRI aluminium lights will be the true test. What about you? I know you've got a pair of each special metal but which aluminium lights do you have?

Apparently I purged a while back

I currently have in hand

18650 4000k 219b r9050 rotary
    18650 5000k 219c (3 o'clock) rotary
    18650 4500k 219b r9080 executive

3900k 300 rotary
    2700k 219c rotary

Seoul p4 legacy 140 executive

Sw35 al-bronze
    Sw35 naval brass
    Sw45 al-bronze
    Sw45 naval brass

Coming in the next week or so
    Sw45 titanium
    High noon titanium

(Pretty sure i already have a new home for sw45 al-bronze and high noon titanium)

I need to find a 219b r9050 in either rotary or clicky at some point

The new 325 sounds appealing too but i told myself that I don't need any new lights until the new drivers arrive

What do you have? 2x sw45, 3 o'clock, and 219b r9050?

What do you have? 2x sw45, 3 o'clock, and 219b r9050?
    Very close. You have a good memory.

4000K R9050 Executive
    4500K R9080 Executive
    5000K "3 O'Clock" Executive (bought from you)
    5700K "High Noon" Rotary.

You've got quite the line up. The 18650 rotary tubes are particularly scarce right now. Enjoy!

I was going to say high noon, but i thought you passed that on ...and i know you really love the sw45

I think I'm really going to enjoy the sw40 and sw35 being a little warmer.
    I'd like to stay around a handful or less but all the emitter choices makes that difficult to achieve

The real question is how many holsters do you have now. I love the holsters but haven't used any of them.

I've finally realised the ethos behind the Rotary UI, call me Capt Obvious the Second, but I'll write it down in case someone else is a dim as I.

I've been reading up on the RA Twisty and Clicky and seen lots of posts about the ten second step-down from the highest level. It was put in place to allow the light to have a minimum runtime of an hour.

The Rotary UI isn't about convenience as much as being able to set the minimum light output from your needs, thus preserving as much battery life as possible. Think of Henry's Caving activities and you get the answer. As I spend all of my time over the ground, I have access to extra cells plus a handful of chargers and Juice Packs. I don't really think much about runtime, other than whether I can complete a nighttime walk without changing cells. So I thought the Rotary was to get just the right amount of light, without considering runtime.

I'm sorry if I've been stating the bl**din' obvious, but I do now understand some people's predilection for the Rotary, as you can't do this stuff without a serious amount of forethought with a Clicky.
    P

I like being able to set the minimum amount of light I need with either light at night outdoors, and with "momentary high" enabled, being able to mash the button and have full brightness if needed. One of my favorite HDS features. Nice writeup... 👍
    Wildflower seeds on the sand and stone
    May the four winds blow you safely home...

The new 325 sounds appealing too but i told myself that I don't need any new lights until the new drivers arrive
    That is what I said about a Titanium Executive. Then, I realized that life is too short, the new drivers are at least 18 months away, and a date 18 months from now is a new decision point. So, I purchase a Titanium Clicky made in July 2009 and sent it to HDS for the Titanium upgrade.

With the HDS excellent resale values it is best to get the HDS inventory the way you want it today in case you do not make it to tomorrow.
    Last edited by RCS1300; 04-07-2019 at 06:11 AM.

5000K "3 O'Clock" Executive (bought from you)
    I was hoping he did not sell that one yet. Good catch.

Quote Originally Posted by peter yetman View Post

The Rotary UI isn't about convenience as much as being able to set the minimum light output from your needs, thus preserving as much battery life as possible.
    Yes, and if I could stop twirling the thing around and watching the light show it might just serve that purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by scout24 View Post
    my favorite HDS features.
    New thread?

Page 5 of 32 FirstFirst 12345678910111215 ... LastLast