FourSevens        
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Suggestions for HDS Part Deux...

Default Suggestions for HDS Part Deux...

Continued from here.

Edit: I wanted to say here as well, HDS will supply a 3rd party with drawings if they want to produce parts or accessories for the HDS lights. They would need to be vetted and HDS will assist them, and if what they produce meets HDS standards, we will put a link on the HDS website to that third party in order to help that 3rd party with sales. We will not stock it ourselves or sell it ourselves but rather help promote that 3rd party.
    Last edited by Hogokansatsukan; 03-04-2019 at 10:12 AM.
    Thor's Hammer Custom Leather
    HDS Systems Henry's Mini-Me
    I play with dead things

Default Re: Suggestions for HDS Part Deux...

First Post! In before the Lock! Lol.

Would these available schematics include Legacy and Novatac parts? There isn’t much available now at UT...

Quote Originally Posted by wacbzz View Post
    Would these available schematics include Legacy and Novatac parts? There isn’t much available now at UT...
    Yes.
    Thor's Hammer Custom Leather
    HDS Systems Henry's Mini-Me
    I play with dead things

Quote Originally Posted by Hogokansatsukan View Post
    I wanted to say here as well, HDS will supply a 3rd party with drawings if they want to produce parts or accessories for the HDS lights. They would need to be vetted and HDS will assist them, and if what they produce meets HDS standards, we will put a link on the HDS website to that third party in order to help that 3rd party with sales. We will not stock it ourselves or sell it ourselves but rather help promote that 3rd party.
    You guys continue to impress, this is awesome news!
    Looking forward to see what comes of this!
    4500k XPL RD BOSS • 4000k 219C BOSS Ti • 2700k HDS Rotary

Okay, I have four Sanyo INR 18650 batteries from HDS and a holster for two extra 18650 batteries from Thors Hammer Custom Leather. Wondering if HDS wants to think about extending the product line?

The High Noon High CRI LED emitter is Sunlight in a can and incredibly awesome at high lumens.

For those with 18650 battery tubes would Henry consider ramping up the lumens on the High CRI lights from 200 to 400? I realize that the run time with Burst enabled will likely go from 5:45 to 2:00 hours but wow would that really light up the way.

(The heat issue...I did not think about that...probably a constraint in the current configuration...)
    Last edited by RCS1300; 03-07-2019 at 05:18 PM. Reason: add heat issue

Quote Originally Posted by RCS1300 View Post
    For those with 18650 battery tubes would Henry consider ramping up the lumens on the High CRI lights from 200 to 400?
    I may be strange, but I like my under-driven HDS. That's part of the appeal. A bump in luminosity would only be welcome if it maintained the same efficiency.
    “May it be a light to you in dark places, when all other lights go out.”
    J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring

I agree with MF, my HDS taught me to appreciate the value of lower output lights.
    An output bump would completely spoil its appeal for me.
    I'm going to gat Tana to make me a Nichia Triple and I intend to limit the driver current to around 1 amp.

P
    Peter's shopping list:- HDS / Oveready 170N Exec/LE and an Oveready V4 Nichia Drop In. Otherwise I'm content. Want want want, that's me.

I agree. When I first started down the road with lights I wanted max output. Period! Now that I’m older but probably not any wiser i have turned 180 degrees on my thinking. Oh I still like and need high output lights. My Malkoff’s for example. But in reality 90 percent of the time I’m 50 lumens or much much less. And that’s where HDS lights excel
    If i had one day left to live i would want to be at my workplace.Because every day is like a frickin eternity.

Okay, okay, I agree. HDS is not and should not be in the lumens game.

I'll go buy some other high CRI high lumen light to test out. I know I will be sorry and I will probably use it once. How do I know that
    Last edited by RCS1300; 03-08-2019 at 06:26 AM.

Get a high output High CRI Triple. That way it's a complete contrast to the HDS and will make itself a useful position in your arsenal.
    I have a couple of OR Nichia Triple Drop Ins that I would never be without. But then I'd never be without my 170N.
    P
    Peter's shopping list:- HDS / Oveready 170N Exec/LE and an Oveready V4 Nichia Drop In. Otherwise I'm content. Want want want, that's me.

Quote Originally Posted by peter yetman View Post
    I have a couple of OR Nichia Triple Drop Ins that I would never be without. But then I'd never be without my 170N.
    P
    I do remember looking at Tana triple heads in a McGizmo wrapper a while back. Did not purchase because the technology wrapper was no where near the quality and functionality of HDS. Saw some inexpensive Convoy builds but again no where close to the HDS quality realm. Maybe BOSS, but again then I would be tied to a computer. This doom loop makes me realize why I went to HDS. Are the HDS titaniums ready yet...?
    Last edited by RCS1300; 03-08-2019 at 06:56 AM.

Maybe BOSS, but again then I would be tied to a computer.
    I've tried very hard to like the boss, but it just isn't for me. Nothing to do with price, either. If you have a lot of modes enabled, then you have to scroll through them in order. If you narrow it down to fewer modes, then you may have to make an adjustment on the fly, which is impractical if not impossible. I've considered programming one as a single mode, but then I'd want the low output red LED, and now we are back to scrolling.

The HDS is near perfect. That's why you don't see much from me on the suggestion thread.

I don’t know if I ve mentioned before but a micro usb Programming port however maybe impossible would be cool if it could be done... with military grade components and waterproof (sealed) so the user could switch user interfaces rather than sending it back to Henry.
    Don’t Tread On Me

I do remember looking at Tana triple heads in a McGizmo wrapper a while back. Did not purchase because the technology wrapper was no where near the quality and functionality of HDS. Saw some inexpensive Convoy builds but again no where close to the HDS quality realm. Maybe BOSS, but again then I would be tied to a computer. This doom loop makes me realize why I went to HDS. Are the HDS titaniums ready yet...?
    Have you looked at Prometheus Delta? The Icarus Driver is very flexible with a click clcik hold for MAX, and they come in Ti.
    There's nothing as good as Henry's driver though.
    P

Have you looked at Prometheus Delta? The Icarus Driver is very flexible with a click clcik hold for MAX, and they come in Ti.
    P
    I will look into that light. Do you have one?

What I really like about Henry's lights is that you can dial them in exactly the way you like them. If you change your mind, you can dial them in differently. Plus, his lights take primaries and rechargeable batteries. I do not think anything I have seen in the last six years comes close to that.
    Last edited by RCS1300; 03-08-2019 at 12:28 PM.

Okay, okay, I agree. HDS is not and should not be in the lumens game.

I'll go buy some other high CRI high lumen light to test out. I know I will be sorry and I will probably use it once. How do I know that
    If you really want to try out a high lumen, high CRI light and not drop a lot of cash just to get it out of your system, get at an Emisar D4. It’s a quad available in Nichia 219c 90 CRI and SST20 95 CRI. Look at intl-outdoor.com. About 40 USD.

I have one but never carry it. Too hot for me. It is fun to go out and turn the back yard into daylight for a few seconds though. But after about 20 seconds it becomes a hot coal.
    I only fear that if something happens to me, my wife will sell all my stuff for what I told her I paid for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnyh View Post
    If you really want to try out a high lumen, high CRI light and not drop a lot of cash just to get it out of your system, get at an Emisar D4. It’s a quad available in Nichia 219c 90 CRI and SST20 95 CRI. Look at intl-outdoor.com. About 40 USD.

I have one but never carry it. Too hot for me. It is fun to go out and turn the back yard into daylight for a few seconds though. But after about 20 seconds it becomes a hot coal.
    Thanks for the heads up. Maybe next winter for dog walking, when I need a hand warmer that doubles as a flashlight...

Quote Originally Posted by Modernflame View Post
    I've tried very hard to like the boss, but it just isn't for me. Nothing to do with price, either. If you have a lot of modes enabled, then you have to scroll through them in order. If you narrow it down to fewer modes, then you may have to make an adjustment on the fly, which is impractical if not impossible. I've considered programming one as a single mode, but then I'd want the low output red LED, and now we are back to scrolling.

The HDS is near perfect. That's why you don't see much from me on the suggestion thread.
    If the red emitter bounce setting is turned on then you can just turn the single high mode on against your hand or body and it will immediately knock down to the secondary color.

When I need high lumens I'll go for a Zebralight, Emisar D1, BOSS, or a PFlexPro H17F P60 light. The upcoming FW3A would also be great option, if it every happens. It's quite HDS-like in terms of its production timeline

For suggestions, I would still like to see the following (most have come up before at some point):

- Long throw optic or reflector that threads into the current heads
    - Mule bezel that threads into the current heads
    - Stainless steel tailcap option
    - 18350 battery tube
    - Bezel with clip attachment for rotary
    - Micro textured glass like PFlexPro uses to even out beam and increase spill (these might not be made in US, which I understand would make it a non-starter)
    Hello darkness my old friend,
    I've come to talk with you again...
    I liked neutral tints before they were cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Random Dan View Post
    For suggestions, I would still like to see the following (most have come up before at some point):

- Long throw optic or reflector that threads into the current heads
    - Mule bezel that threads into the current heads
    - Stainless steel tailcap option
    - 18350 battery tube
    - Bezel with clip attachment for rotary
    - Micro textured glass like PFlexPro uses to even out beam and increase spill (these might not be made in US, which I understand would make it a non-starter)
    I was just playing around with a flood reflector and in between switching it out with the regular reflector, I was thinking that without any optic it makes for a really nice mule.

+1 on the throw optic and 18350 body.

I think the led is to deep at present to make it a good mule but yes an hds mule would be cool. A drop in TIR for throw would be awesome! God knows how hard it would be to design but the ability to take bezel off and in 30 seconds turn your edc light into a thrower would be fantastic!
    Last edited by thermal guy; 03-10-2019 at 10:14 AM.
    If i had one day left to live i would want to be at my workplace.Because every day is like a frickin eternity.

Or how about a turbo head with a much bigger reflector that also screws right in? Say 2”. Wouldn’t be good for edc but for times you need to throw 100 yard.and the ability to switch back and forth would be awesome

P
    I looked into their new driver. Not even close to Henry’s driver. With Henry’s driver you can go right to the setting you want anytime and from any setting. With the Delta you are forced to cycle through settings. Not good. Not good at all. Plus with Henry’s lights both end of the battery are protected with springs from jolts and shocks. Only one side of the Delta’s battery compartment has a spring. Plus, Henry’s light has a very durable electronic switch. The Delta has a far less reliable mechanical switch. I could go on but what would be the point.
    Last edited by RCS1300; 03-10-2019 at 06:03 PM. Reason: spelling

Agree. I was really close to pulling the trigger on an Alpha, but couldn't get past comparing the Icarus driver to HDS. I thought long and hard, because I really wanted to try the 4500K MC-E, which I believe is an excellent emitter. I too prefer the e-switch, but I'm Ok with a mechanical one. For me, the deal breaker was the driver and lack of potting.

Re potting the electronics: One of my favorite lights is my PFlexPro S2+, which has potted electronics (and the H17F driver?). Randy offers an emitter upgrade option, despite the fact it's potted. But HDS doesn't. I'm curious as to whether Henry's engineering precludes this based on particular design trade(s), or if it's simply a business preference not to offer it to customers (maybe because it is more profitable if they buy a new light?). Seems like others are successfully swapping emitters on HDS lights via custom modding, so it can be done, right? Can anyone elaborate?

[To be clear, I'm not bemoaning the lack of emitter upgrades at HDS (I've made peace with this, and other Henry/Hogo decisions like no new Ti Clickies - its their business and they can run it how they want). Just curious as to the reason why two very bomb-proof lights have different upgradeability options.]
    Last edited by lion504; 03-10-2019 at 06:57 PM.
    My Lights

Quote Originally Posted by lion504 View Post
    One of my favorite lights is my PFlexPro S2+, which has potted electronics (and the H17F driver?). Randy offers an emitter upgrade option, despite the fact it's potted. But HDS doesn't. I'm curious as to whether Henry's engineering precludes this based on particular design trade(s), or if it's simply a business preference not to offer it to customers (maybe because it is more profitable if they buy a new light?). Seems like others are successfully swapping emitters on HDS lights via custom modding, so it can be done, right? Can anyone elaborate?

[To be clear, I'm not bemoaning the lack of emitter upgrades at HDS (I've made peace with this, and other Henry/Hogo decisions like no new Ti Clickies - its their business and they can run it how they want). Just curious as to the reason why two very bomb-proof lights have different upgradeability options.]
    I believe HDS uses a third party to mount their LED emitters in batches to make sure they are done right. One off's do not make financial sense in their business model. Some HDS owners have had Modders change the LED's in their lights and then some send the light back to HDS for calibrating. Not all of the modifications work. Not all of the modifications can be successfully calibrated.

I wonder if there would be a market for a Signature Edition of the HDS light? Something made in part with a special material and personally signed by Henry. I would buy that.

Quote Originally Posted by thermal guy View Post
    Or how about a turbo head with a much bigger reflector that also screws right in? Say 2”. Wouldn’t be good for edc but for times you need to throw 100 yard.and the ability to switch back and forth would be awesome
    As a fellow flashaholic, I can identify with this at some very deep level. I can remember the way I felt when I scored my first SF Turbo Head back in the day. Some people have crack cocaine, but I had modular Surefire parts. With some mature (=old guy) reflection, I think a Malkoff Hound Dog is far better suited for this role than an HDS. And in every measurable category, right? More power, more throw, more spill, better balance, more capacity, etc.

The HDS is nearly perfect, but it is a small, pocket friendly personal flashlight. We shouldn't try to make it do too much. Just my two cents. Your mileage may vary, plus some other jazz.

Cheers

I believe HDS uses a third party to mount their LED emitters in batches to make sure they are done right. One off's do not make financial sense in their business model. Some HDS owners have had Modders change the LED's in their lights and then some send the light back to HDS for calibrating. Not all of the modifications work. Not all of the modifications can be successfully calibrated.
    I'm hearing that there's no technical reason the LED can't be swapped, HDS just made a business decision not to offer that service. Thanks for clarifying.
    My Lights

Quote Originally Posted by Modernflame View Post
    As a fellow flashaholic, I can identify with this at some very deep level. I can remember the way I felt when I scored my first SF Turbo Head back in the day. Some people have crack cocaine, but I had modular Surefire parts. With some mature (=old guy) reflection, I think a Malkoff Hound Dog is far better suited for this role than an HDS. And in every measurable category, right? More power, more throw, more spill, better balance, more capacity, etc.

The HDS is nearly perfect, but it is a small, pocket friendly personal flashlight. We shouldn't try to make it do too much. Just my two cents. Your mileage may vary, plus some other jazz.

Cheers
    Your right. Of course my 18650 hound dog I’m sure would stomp any additional bezel that could be put on an HDS. I just can’t get the picture out of my head of the long throw hds prototype Henry made so long ago.it would be awesome to see something along that line put into production.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast