[Review] RovyVon E300S (Nichia!) Flashlight

zeroair

Newly Enlightened
[h=1][/h]
  • This content originally appeared at zeroair.org. Please visit there for the best experience!
  • I'd love this to be considered for the review forum here!
  • Thank you all for reading!!

I reviewed a few lights for RovyVon, and one of those was the E300S. That light has Cree XP-G3, one of my least favorite current emitters, and after the input from my review (and let's be humble, probably other sources), RovyVon released a Nichia option! This review is largely the same as that original, with the main difference being the emitters.

[h=3]Official Specs and Features[/h]Here's a link to the official product page.
[h=3]Versions[/h]There are a few versions of this light. First is the aforementioned emitter choices – Cree XP-G3 and Nichia 219c. And there are two body colors too. Black, seen here, and a titanium gray body.
[h=3]Price[/h]These lights are currently $82.95

[h=3]Short Review[/h]I liked the original E300S …. but I actually did an emitter swap on it to put in…. Nichia 219c. So I sort of feel like I've had this light before (even though I gave that one away!). This is a fun light, and the Nichia is really an upgrade. There are a few things that could be improved – the pocket clip, for example. Also the light is a bit large for this style, but that's understandable.
[h=3]Long Review[/h][h=4]What's Included[/h]

• RovyVon E300S
  • Paracord
  • Pocket clip
  • Manual
[h=4]Package and Manual[/h]

The package on this version is decidedly different – I had a pre-production model before. The package for this light is well done, and nicely printed.

The manual is a two sided A4 paper with all the info you need about the light. Unfortunately the manual hasn't been updated to reflect the lower output that Nichia provides. So be aware that the numbers on the manual (and also on the bezel of the light itself) are not accurate for the Nichia version.
[h=4]Build Quality and Disassembly[/h]
This light has a very interesting and unusual look. Almost any other light I can think of in this format a) isn't a triple and b) isn't a right angle light. That's neither good nor bad, but it does make this light stand out.
The build quality feels good. As I said in the intro, the light is quite big for what it is and what I was expecting, and that's reflected in how it sits in the hand.

There's plenty of texture on the body, but none of it is particularly grippy. The light is well made, in any case.

Two torx screws hold the body together. Yes just two! They're on the head end of the light, and once removed allow the light to slide apart.
Here are a bunch of disassembly pics!! These are from the original review, but the internals should be exactly the same. Just disregard the XP-G3 emitters in the pics below!
zeroair_reviews_rovyvon_e300s_angel_eyes_36.jpg

Probably a temperature sensor there – normally in contact with the brass… thing… – I've lifted it for this pic. That's just thermal paste, not glue or anything permanent.
zeroair_reviews_rovyvon_e300s_angel_eyes_37.jpg

Now look at this!!
zeroair_reviews_rovyvon_e300s_angel_eyes_38.jpg

That's a heatsink with liquid! Oil, of course.
Really though, to get into the light, one must remove the bezel. It's not easy; I finally just used pliers and grabbed the edges. Surprisingly didn't really damage it, though! You'll need access to the back (more or less), to keep the back bits in place for the removal of the bezel.
zeroair_reviews_rovyvon_e300s_angel_eyes_39.jpg

Once the bezel is out, and the three Torx (T6) screws are out of the pcb, parts start coming out!
zeroair_reviews_rovyvon_e300s_angel_eyes_40.jpg

The battery (confirmed 2200mAh).
zeroair_reviews_rovyvon_e300s_angel_eyes_41.jpg

The optic:
zeroair_reviews_rovyvon_e300s_angel_eyes_42.jpg

Here's all the screws required to get things completely apart. Two Torx T6 on the outside, three on the inside:
zeroair_reviews_rovyvon_e300s_angel_eyes_43.jpg

zeroair_reviews_rovyvon_e300s_angel_eyes_44.jpg

Here's the whole emitter/cooling all in one. This is as closed as I can get the liquid cooling now – it was probably installed under vacuum or something, to keep air out. With that in mind, I recommend that you don't remove the brass cover. Better left closed.
zeroair_reviews_rovyvon_e300s_angel_eyes_45.jpg

There are two holes into the (non liquid part) of this container. They're for the leads. I broke a lead when unscrewing – learn from my mistake. Don't twist on this too hard! Should be an easy fix, though.
zeroair_reviews_rovyvon_e300s_angel_eyes_46.jpg

The mcpcb is thermal pasted down, but not glued. Easily removable – I'll swap out these XP-G3's asap.
zeroair_reviews_rovyvon_e300s_angel_eyes_47.jpg

Charge port and the leds beside it.
zeroair_reviews_rovyvon_e300s_angel_eyes_48.jpg

Side switch:
zeroair_reviews_rovyvon_e300s_angel_eyes_49.jpg

zeroair_reviews_rovyvon_e300s_angel_eyes_50.jpg

zeroair_reviews_rovyvon_e300s_angel_eyes_51.jpg

[h=4]Size and Comps[/h]Dimensions: L 101mm x W 36.7mm x H 17.3mm. The weight is around 95g, or 105g with clip.

Here is where you'll probably recognize that this isn't a small light. On the thin side, it's almost as thick as the Convoy S2+. And much too close in length, too.

[h=4]Retention and Carry[/h]A pocket clip is included. It's the same style as other RovyVon lights, with the clip basically friction fitting around the sides – a hugger clip, if you will. It's different from many friction clips though, in that it can be positioned just about anywhere up and down the body of the light, front or back. That gives quite a few options, for very precise placement.

Unfortunately my clip doesn't fit on the body of the light right. It's like the arms are just a shade too short, so (as you can see below), the clip doesn't grab the body fully.

Then there's the built in loop on the tail end of the light. This could be used any number of ways, primarily with the included paracord. This is a good option, and while other parts of the light have sharp edges, this part doesn't – it should give the paracord a long life.
[h=4]
zeroair_reviews_rovyvon_e300s_nichia_13.jpg
[/h]There are no magnets. A big fat (ok "thin") magnet right in the center of the internals, where the light could face outward would be a no-brainer for this light.
[h=4]Power and Runtime[/h]There's a built in battery for the E300S. No mention is made of replacing it, and no other power source can be used. So this light necessarily (like all internal cell lights) has a limited (probably reasonably long, of course) lifespan. The claim of the internal battery is 2200mAh.
The claim of 1200 lumens is confirmed in my testing. At 30 seconds I measure over 1200 lumens. This is why the light ends up being so big – to get those big numbers, there needs to be adequate heat management, and a big capable battery. Output steps down fairly hard at around 1 minute, and then just drifts downward until the side switch begins warning the user that the cell is depleted.

High looks about the same, and also has a noticeable stepdown, this time a little bit later. After that, the graph looks about the same as with Turbo, but at a lower output.

With the internal battery comes built in charging. There's a micro-USB port on the side, plugged with a rubber cover just like on the Aurora series. (A spare cover is included.) Beside this port is a charge indicator.

RovyVon includes a USB to micro-USB cable, too.

They also include a spare cover for the charge port. I always thought "why" do makers include this. Well when I was unplugging the charge cable one time, I accidentally grabbed the cover without knowning it, and jerked it right in half. Not just out, but actually broke it! So I'm glad to have a spare!!
Charging looks quite good, and is surprisingly over 2A to the cell. That's probably not too much for the small cell, since the output at Turbo is likely draining it at a much higher C. Charging is quick, at just under an hour and a half (!!). The indicating switch turns solid blue when charge is complete.

Why are there two vastly different charge graphs there you may ask? Good question! The higher current graph is from a QC3 port. It's not using QC3, but the port has high current capabilities. The lower charge rate is from another, less capable setup. So the E300S will make use of good charge ports!! Use'm if you got'em.
[h=4]PWM[/h]For reference, here's a baseline shot, with all the room lights off and almost nothing hitting the sensor.
Looking at the graphs below you may say "wow PWM all the way to turbo???" Yes, but no. Look at the scale: 50us. That's MUCH faster than anyone will ever be able to see. This is as close to "good pwm" as I'll ever agree. It's completely unnoticeable.

[h=4]User Interface and Operation[/h]There are two switches on the E300S. The main one I've used is the side switch. The "power switch" is on the top (and labeled with a power symbol).
zeroair_reviews_rovyvon_e300s_angel_eyes_22.jpg

They are both e-switches with rubber covers, and identical in size. Actually… both are labeled with a power symbol! Clearly the same cover. And they both have the ability to turn the light off, so that's reasonable. (Also note in the picture below since I don't think it shows elsewhere, how much the bezel sticks out from the body.)
zeroair_reviews_rovyvon_e300s_angel_eyes_17.jpg

H
ere's a UI table!
StateActionResult
OffClick Side Switch (SS)No action
OffClick Top Switch (TS)No action
OffHold SSMoonlight
OffHold TSMomentary Turbo
OffDouble Click TSStrobe
Strobe GroupClick TSStrobe advance (Strobe>SOS>Signal)
OnHold either switchOff
MoonlightClick SSMode Advance (LMHTL) (Moonlight not in mode cycle)
OffDouble Click SS250 Lumen output (not "Low" or "Medium")
From 250lm OutputHold SSInfinite Variable output (fast ramp up and down)
OffTriple Click SSMedium – 450lm
There's a chance I missed something in the UI. It's fairly robust, but there's a little overlap between the switches. The ramping is neat, but doesn't blink or anything at the bookends – so it's hard to get "exactly" low or "exactly" high (which are 60 and 1600, respectively, for the variable mode).
[h=4]LED and Beam[/h]Big ol thanks to RovyVon for putting Nichia emitters in this light. I like a responsive company, and RovyVon certainly seems to be that!

These beamshots are always with the following settings: f8, ISO100, 0.3s shutter, and manual 5000K exposure.

I might be willing to say the turbo pushes these emitters close to the edge, because I pick up a little pink in that turbo beamshot.
You may find yourself wondering how that compares to the emitter swapped version I myself made? Well I can answer that too. I edited that post before I gave away the light, to include beamshots with Nichia, on that light. See here. Very similar indeed!

[h=4]Tint vs BLF-348 (Killzone 219b version)[/h]
I compare everything to the Killzone 219b BLF-348, because it's inexpensive and has the best tint!
[h=4]The Big Table[/h]
RovyVon E300S
Emitter:Nichia 219C
Cell:Internal
RuntimeChargetime
LVP?Switch warning (red), and very low output
Power off Charge Port with no Cell?
Claimed Lumens (lm)1200
Measured Lumens (at 30s)1239 (103.3% of claim)*
Claimed Throw (m)
Throw (Calculated) (m)149.1
Candela (Calculated) in cd (at 30s)322lux @ 4.155m = 5559cd
All my RovyVon reviews!
* Standard measurement disclaimer: I am an amateur flashlight reviewer. I don't have $10,000 or even $1,000 worth of testing equipment. I test output and such in PVC tubes!! Please consider claims within 10% of what I measure to be perfectly reasonable (accurate, even).
[h=3]Conclusion[/h][h=4]What I like[/h]
  • I like the novel idea of this style light
  • Build quality seems good
  • Charging is excellent, at over 2A
  • The UI has something for everyone!
  • Love that it's Nichia!!
[h=4]What I don't like[/h]
  • Overall, this light is too bulky

[h=3]Notes[/h]
  • This light was provided by RovyVon for review. I was not paid to write this review.
  • This content originally appeared at zeroair.org. Please visit there for the best experience!
  • Whether or not I have a coupon for this light, I do have a bunch of coupons!! Have a look at my spreadsheet for those coupons. It's possible to subscribe and get notifications when the sheet is edited!!

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the great and revised review!
I read the original on your site last night and ordered the light in 219 this morning for delivery on Wed.!
You pushed me over the edge and then some!

Actually I saw one of these at a Knife Store a few weeks ago and though it was bigger than I expected as you echo it was compelling nonetheless.
The same guy had a few of the tiny A series lights too and though I was curious about them it is not without serious reservations mainly about the tiny battery and runtime that goes with that.

Considering that the A8 would be the closest to what I would want and it is so pricey for yet another borderline keychain light that will never use anyway the leap to this "Angeleyes"? was pretty easy for me.
I love that I know it can be opened and the battery replaced if needed and this is a whole lot more substantial an offering for my uses than those A series lights.

I will post again when I get the light and have a chance to get used to it a little but I am pretty excited about it for sure!

zeroair

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the great and revised review!
I read the original on your site last night and ordered the light in 219 this morning for delivery on Wed.!
You pushed me over the edge and then some!

Actually I saw one of these at a Knife Store a few weeks ago and though it was bigger than I expected as you echo it was compelling nonetheless.
The same guy had a few of the tiny A series lights too and though I was curious about them it is not without serious reservations mainly about the tiny battery and runtime that goes with that.

Considering that the A8 would be the closest to what I would want and it is so pricey for yet another borderline keychain light that will never use anyway the leap to this "Angeleyes"? was pretty easy for me.
I love that I know it can be opened and the battery replaced if needed and this is a whole lot more substantial an offering for my uses than those A series lights.

I will post again when I get the light and have a chance to get used to it a little but I am pretty excited about it for sure!

You're very welcome for the review! Cool that you live in a place that has stores stocking these lights! I doubt there's one within 400 miles of me. :)

I'll actually be posting a review of the A8 tomorrow, so stay tuned for that. In general that series is quite good! I've already reviewed 3 of them (you can find them here: https://zeroair.org/tag/rovyvon/ )

Enjoy your E300S!

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
The store does not stock them here but one of the employees there who is just another nerd like me it seems had one in his pocket that I could see and play with for a minute!
Come to think of it his Emisar D4 was also the first that I had seen too?:duh2:

Having said that though the store is an amazing resource to have local for sure but they have Fenix,Nitecore,Olight in stock which is great in general unless I go there trying not to buy a light!

And the Knife Selection is amazing as well.

I am sure that the A series is great and all but I have just realized that though I always carry a Keychain light or 2 I NEVER use them as I ALWAYS have a bigger light on board anyway,ALWAYS!

You're very welcome for the review! Cool that you live in a place that has stores stocking these lights! I doubt there's one within 400 miles of me. :)

I'll actually be posting a review of the A8 tomorrow, so stay tuned for that. In general that series is quite good! I've already reviewed 3 of them (you can find them here: https://zeroair.org/tag/rovyvon/ )

Enjoy your E300S!

Last edited:

zeroair

Newly Enlightened
I am sure that the A series is great and all but I have just realized that though I always carry a Keychain light or 2 I NEVER use them as I ALWAYS have a bigger light on board anyway,ALWAYS!

I do too. :) But then I usually have 4 or 5 lights at any given time....

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
Same here at a minimum.
I have been carrying a 4/7 Mini Ti on the Keys for a while now and have only used it when I am reminded to think about it?

zeroair

Newly Enlightened
My 'keychain' light isn't a keychain light at all though.. my most used small light is the Eagtac D25AAA. Probably my most "always on me" light, too.

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
My 'keychain' light isn't a keychain light at all though.. my most used small light is the Eagtac D25AAA. Probably my most "always on me" light, too.
I truly love my D25aaa too and have almost worn out 2 of them but they are not really enough light for me as an only light so I stopped carrying mine all the time and rely on my SC52w or SC64w these days if I am wearing pants!

I have also been carrying the Maker E03 for the last week in the 5th pocket and it is a really terrific little light that I wish I had found sooner!
I have its little brother on the way because of it too.

xevious

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great review -- thanks!

For the output this light delivers, I don't think it's too big at all. Certainly not a key chain light, but could easily make for a pocket carry EDC. I hope that clip issue is an anomaly, or that there's some way to bend the clip in order to get it to fully form-fit onto the body.

As long as there's access to the battery, it can be replaced. So I don't consider this a disposable light. The Aurora series is unfortunately "disposable," in that RovyVon won't service them beyond the warranty, saying that shipping is too expensive for what the light is worth. With the A8, there may be no hope of preserving the polycarbonate body in removing the bezel--one way assembly... Patently it's very frustrating as the electronics and emitters will far outlive the battery. At least with the E300S, there is a chance to refresh the battery at some future time.

I'm very tempted to get the E300S, especially with Nichia 219C emitters now included. No visual cue for ramping is annoying. I would like to see staged ramping where you get a brief flash while ramping up to denote different predefined intensity levels, and of course a flash at lower and upper ends.

I would also like to see one other feature... a nice red LED in the center of the triple optic, that has a constant on or flashing mode.

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK This is a pretty nice little light!
I can't stop giggling with it in hand?

b4032a72e0b340f7173ccfddaf0978a1.jpg
0bdd799466b52bc9f7342aea941e43ac.jpg
3e9f2e541d5d0add0633d1f110d8a63d.jpg

I was worried about it being too big but it really is not,it is too thick maybe but it is what it is in the end!

08885b841394155d9332f6f79f3c4485.jpg
ed46fff54a1edf649e4939f3ce26937e.jpg

I can not figure out just how to use it yet either like all of the RA lights that I have been buying and can not as well?

My clip fits better than the pics here in the review but not perfectly either but regardless this is one snap on clip that I have no fear of letting go on its own!
The clip does have an odd bent area right where it would deep carry that prevents it from deep carrying too,who thinks this stuff up?

Also fits into a M Skinth like it was made to almost,certainly usable that way though.

6c488912f175cb5e3e9d309b7b2f2b52.jpg
b6e5e9fcbbb7ccf1faf6153e623a0c7e.jpg

Also did not come with the plastic box as seen online?

The 219 emitters seem great so far but it is still light out too and I can not really get a feel for the beam until dark.

Overall I am pretty excited to see if I can find a good way to put it to use for work.
I might stick Velcro on the entire body so it can mount wherever there is Velcro and then stick Velcro everywhere on earth on everything that I can!
Also seems pretty easy to fashion a Magnet for that too,maybe a Velcro Mount Magnet?

Last edited:

LogansRun

Newly Enlightened
@zeroair, thanks for the review of this light and @avservice for your real-world impressions. I saw the Rovyvon lights through an email from BatteryJunction and the value proposition for their other lights was pretty decent based on their price point and features but this model is very interesting to me.

I think most of us are used to holding lights horizontally and the vertical carry is a not exactly the norm. But, I do see value in using this light in a front breast pocket in place of a headlamp, especially given the 3xLED configuration and also its various light levels.

For those interested in this light, I know the Drop (formerly massdrop) currently has this at a lower price than you will find online.

Perhaps in a future iteration, they may actually have two sets of emitters... one vertical and one horizontal... similar to the Lumintop Geek that has a set of Nichia LED's along with the main CW led. I'm hoping to get my hands on one of these shortly!