Swapping or extending tubes for Nitecore MT10c / MT20c

efbasham

Newly Enlightened
Recently, I sought out a combo _dim_ red + white rechargeable light, mainly to use in the home so as not to disturb others, but also for night astro-photography. There was a $4.30 9-led (all red) 3 x AAA 2-level pocket light on amazon, which wouldn't be bad if the 2 intensities weren't bright and brighter. I went with the Nitecore MT-10c - my first Nitecore, and was pleasantly surprised, except the IMR 18350 at 700 mA-h spends too much time in the charger.

I noticed there is a MT-20c version with 18650 cells OR 2x CR123 - electrically very similar to their 18350 little brother, except for capacity and the MT20c has a SMO reflector, while the 10c is OP - more ideal for indoor or nearby use. I bought the MT-20a 2xAA version, and noted the heads are identically threaded, and in fact the 3.7V MT10c head works just fine on the 20a body even with NiMH cells loaded, at 2.4V down to 2.0V.

I'd rather not buy the MT-20c because of the SMO reflector, and instead either get a MT-20c tube to use on my 10c head, or possibly put a tube-extension when I want to use the 18650 IMR cells for longer runtime on the MT-10c head.

Any advice or other favorite [dim] red/white combo lights? Also if anyone has tips on swapping heads on these, I'd love to hear more. I've fed the MT20a NiMH, alk, and L91s - it seems to skip some levels between 1 and 5 when insufficient current is available from the attached battery.
efb