Bad Boys, Bad Boys........

_mike_

Flashlight Enthusiast
Watcha gonna do when they come for you?

cops.jpg

Mike

p.s I mean absolutely NO disrespect towards law enforcement personnel.

metalhed

Enlightened
For what it's worth, I reside in the territory patrolled by the Kern County Sheriffs Department, and this photo is only partially authentic. The fine employees of this organization actually applied a decal with the "We'll Kick Your ***" to one cruiser and caught hell locally when it became public (the same department had a bloody seal stuffed toy that was awarded to officers who were involved in violent confrontations with suspects). The "And Take Your Doughnuts Too!" appears to be computer-added to the picture.

I guess because I am a bleeding-heart liberal who actually believes the U.S. Constitution means something, I will be in the minority in saying this was a juvenile, poorly thought out attempt at humor. It unfortunately reveals the distaste some public employees have for the public that employs them. I mean, innocent until proven guilty, right...not here. By the way, we lead the state of California in per capita incarceration and police shooting rates, as well as leading the state in the application of the death penalty.

Somehow it doesn't make me feel any safer! And funny, we have a higher crime rate here than in LA.. Ok, maybe it's not so funny. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/xyxgun.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/xyxgun.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/xyxgun.gif

_mike_

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I figured it would upset someone. Your opinion is duly noted, sorry you fail to see the humor in it.

Mike

Bill.H

Enlightened
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif LMAO!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Give that sheriff a free mag mod /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Eugene

Flashlight Enthusiast
I used to work with a lot of cops/policepersons/law enforcement officers whichever you wish to call them. They are just like you and I, some will laugh at it, some will get mad, some give their all to their job, some are lazy and give much less. I used to install e-911 and Computer Aided Dispatching systems and met a lot of people there. If I were the officer in the car I would think the humor would depend on the situation, i.e. if the guy that did it was someone I knew I would laugh it off and paythem back in some other way /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

metalhed

Enlightened
Don't get me wrong...I think it's kinda funny too.

Until I realize I might be unlucky enough to experience the sentiment firsthand. Didn't mean to sound so critical...but it did develop into a bit of controversy around these parts. When combined with the stuffed, bloody seal it's downright scary...I mean, innocent until proven guilty, right?

_mike_

Flashlight Enthusiast
metalhed,

Though I'm not a bleeding heart liberal, I totally agree with "Inocent until proven guilty." and I am a strong believer in the U.S Constitution.

I just thought it was humorous is all. I'm not trying to make any political statements or upset anyone.

Mike

metalhed

Enlightened
No offense taken Mike....I'll take any form of humor I can get...I just have a hard time keeping my political mouth shut sometimes. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twakfl.gif

BTW Mike, off topic...Care to say where in Wa. State? I was born and grew up in the Tri-Cities, and have family in the Seattle area...visit whenever I can. Nice to see all the other CPF'ers from my home state.

_mike_

Flashlight Enthusiast
metalhed,

Yeah, I know about the trying to keep one's mouth in control issue too. That's quite alright.

I'm on little old Whidbey Island, which as you know is just northwest of Seattle. My mom and sister both live in the Seattle area. I'm tellin' ya, it was beautiful here today too. Aaaand, the Mariners won both their pre-season games today. Ok, technically the one Moyer pitched in today was considered a "B" game, but I'll take it. So for me ....... it was a good day.

Mike

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
Although I share metalhed's concerns, my first reaction was a good laugh. It could be that the boys in blue were poking fun at themselves.

Two different cops lived next to me in the last 15 years and I'm glad that the rest of our local force is not like those two.

Chengiz

Enlightened
Mike, that is a funny photo. Only problem is that cops don't eat donuts anymore, they eventually kill more of us than bad guys do.

Applying that sticker was dumb idea. Even though that shift may fight from the moment they hit the streets until they are off, the average public doesn't see it for how the officers perceive their jobs.

Police work, the only job where you are despised by more people than appreciate you. An example, a traffic stop for speed, violator "why aren't you out catching killers"? Reality -good citizens kill other citizens 10 to one in this community with their cars. Speed and traffic control devices (ignored) are the culprit.

Please ride with one of your departments for a shift, see what they do and put up with. Learn why they have that sense of humor, if they even still have one.

OBTW, I love that sticker, Bad Cop, No Donut.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
i always wanted to be a cop. but dad said im way to short im only like 5,4 5,3. plus im a little screwy lol

Chengiz

Enlightened
Size is nothing, its heart. Being a little screwy is helpful as long as you are not certifiable. The only problem with being small is that you have to have a thick skin. I have seen it way too often, the officer has "a Napoleon complex", usually unfounded but said to put that officer on the defensive. If this is what you want then apply.

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
The bit about the doughnuts is an old joke, which is based in reality.

The Police + Doughnut Shop + Doughnut(s) + Coffee is a many decades long association. The long and sometimes all too true addage 'need a police officer? check your nearest doughnut shop' is one I have personally seen. No cops around, happen to go by a doughnut shop on public transit (bus), and there are 4 cruisers parked there with nobody in the cruisers. Guess where the officers are..... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Samoan

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
metalhed said:
I guess because I am a bleeding-heart liberal who actually believes the U.S. Constitution means something, I will be in the minority in saying this was a juvenile, poorly thought out attempt at humor. It unfortunately reveals the distaste some public employees have for the public that employs them. I mean, innocent until proven guilty, right...not here. By the way, we lead the state of California in per capita incarceration and police shooting rates, as well as leading the state in the application of the death penalty.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would thing that as a bleeding heart Liberal you would be in support of an image such as this which exposes the mind-set of the local Sherrif's Department.

-F

brightnorm

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
Chengiz said:
Size is nothing, its heart. Being a little screwy is helpful as long as you are not certifiable. The only problem with being small is that you have to have a thick skin. I have seen it way too often, the officer has "a Napoleon complex", usually unfounded but said to put that officer on the defensive. If this is what you want then apply.

[/ QUOTE ]

Most cops in my city used to be big and imposing before height requirements were liberalized, but now I see many my height and shorter (I'm around average height). I always thought that height and bulk were an advantage, not just physically, but in reducing the liklihood of a violent encounter through sheer intimidation. Is there any truth to this?

Brightnorm

Big_Ed

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the photo is hilarious, but it has no place being on the car if it's out in the public eye. If they just applied the stickers to the car for the picture, and took them off before hitting the streets, I don't see what the big deal is. As long as the police officers are professionals when dealing with the public, I think it's OK to have a sense of humor behind the scenes.

Chengiz

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
brightnorm said:
[ QUOTE ]
Chengiz said:
this is what you want then apply.

[/ QUOTE ]

Most cops in my city used to be big and imposing before height requirements were liberalized, but now I see many my height and shorter (I'm around average height). I always thought that height and bulk were an advantage, not just physically, but in reducing the liklihood of a violent encounter through sheer intimidation. Is there any truth to this?

Brightnorm

[/ QUOTE ]

If you are going to a bar fight and you don't have time to defuse the situation you want the biggest Neanderthal looking cops you can get on scene. That is only one tool in the bag. I have been on 8 years and have never had to fight anybody into the car. I have been able to use my mind to get into theirs to get compliance. There has been times when I just knew we were at "go time", but a partner saw things differently and used his/her mind to get the job done.

I have to do this job till I retire. I wish to retire healthy. I can not afford to be Joe Frazier or Muhammad Ali. I go out 40 hours a week. What is the career expectancy of a boxer?

The point is brains will beat brawn 9 times out of 10. If that fails......Taze 'em.