EDC like Zebralight SC52?

entoptics

Enlightened
Been outa the loop for awhile, so I'm not sure what the "latest-greatest" is these days.

Lost my trusty SC52 after several years of good use. The light was pretty much ideal, and I'll happily replace it with another one, but thought I'd ask if there's anything new on the block.

Things I absolutely will not part with...

1) Lowest mode ≤1 Lumen
2) Instant access from off to lowest mode and highest mode
3) Rechargeable Li-ion Compatibility
4) ≥300 lumen high/turbo
5) Tip down pocket clip or at least reversible with little effort.
6) ≤3.5" OAL, similar girth to Zebralight (≤0.9")

Things I might be OK with changing...

1) CR123/16340/18350 battery
2) Fewer mode choices (as long as low ≤1 lm and high ≥300 and something in the 50-150 lm range in the middle)
3) Tail or side switch is fine

Things that I'd consider an upgrade...

1) On board Rechargeable
2) Magnetic tail
3) ≥500 lumen high
4) Reversible pocket clip
5) Cheaper

I'm not particularly concerned with price, but unless it has some serious upgraded features, I'm unlikely to pay much more than the going rate for an SC52 (~$50-$60).

Anyway, is there anything out there I should take a look at, or should I just buy myself another SC52?

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have carried an SC52w since the day they came out and if there is anything better I am not aware of it.
As long as it has enough output for you it is still tough to better the ZL.

I do augment mine with an SC64w as needed.

The combination of efficiency,output,interface and reliability is not that easy to match and believe me I keep trying .

The Olight are really popular for sure and deserve a look too maybe but though I do own several I really only EDC the ZL.

OK and an Emisar D4 too.

Been outa the loop for awhile, so I'm not sure what the "latest-greatest" is these days.

Lost my trusty SC52 after several years of good use. The light was pretty much ideal, and I'll happily replace it with another one, but thought I'd ask if there's anything new on the block.

Things I absolutely will not part with...

1) Lowest mode ≤1 Lumen
2) Instant access from off to lowest mode and highest mode
3) Rechargeable Li-ion Compatibility
4) ≥300 lumen high/turbo
5) Tip down pocket clip or at least reversible with little effort.
6) ≤3.5" OAL, similar girth to Zebralight (≤0.9")

Things I might be OK with changing...

1) CR123/16340/18350 battery
2) Fewer mode choices (as long as low ≤1 lm and high ≥300 and something in the 50-150 lm range in the middle)
3) Tail or side switch is fine

Things that I'd consider an upgrade...

1) On board Rechargeable
2) Magnetic tail
3) ≥500 lumen high
4) Reversible pocket clip
5) Cheaper

I'm not particularly concerned with price, but unless it has some serious upgraded features, I'm unlikely to pay much more than the going rate for an SC52 (~$50-$60).

Anyway, is there anything out there I should take a look at, or should I just buy myself another SC52?

Last edited:

entoptics

Enlightened
HAPPY DAYS! The massive amounts of snow around here finally started melting a bunch, and guess what I found out where I park my motorcycle at work! Yep. Reunited! Looks like I might of run over it a couple times while it was buried in the snow, but other than some fresh dings, it appears to be just fine.

Anyway, thanks for the suggestions. Glad to know the SC52 is still holding its own.

Mr. LED

Enlightened
If you're up to carrying a slightly bigger light, but with greater runtimes, why not a Zebralight SC64w (regular or HI version)?

DMS1970

Enlightened
Unlike probably everyone here, I do not EDC a light. I keep 2 in my truck, and the rest at home. Always carry 2 when I'm hunting. If I need a light, I always grab the SC64 and a smaller pocket light or a larger thrower depending upon what I'm doing. I figure if I need a light, the run times and brightness on the 64 can hardly be beat in it's size. I do have a 52 and can't bring myself to get rid of it, for a SHTF light, AA primaries are the most common or the smallest I'd go for capacity, so it sits most of the time.

MX421

Enlightened
The combination of efficiency,output,interface and reliability is not that easy to match and believe me I keep trying .

The Olight are really popular for sure and deserve a look too maybe but though I do own several I really only EDC the ZL.

I also have a few Olights and from time to tie they beat out the Zebras for the EDC rotation, but usually are short lived as i go back to my Zebras after a short time.

I do have a 52 and can't bring myself to get rid of it, for a SHTF light, AA primaries are the most common or the smallest I'd go for capacity, so it sits most of the time.
I keep a AA format for this reason and also its a better battery chemistry to keep in a hot car. Also agree that for not much more size, you can get a 18650 light and you'll then see that you'll use you SC52 much less from that point on...