Replacing LED "pill" on cheap chinese flashlight

chetvaldes

Newly Enlightened
Hello,
I have this 2 cell 18650 torch that I got off Ebay that needs a new LED pill or disc. The LED was damaged when the lens got dislodged from its aperture, got cocked sideways, and then got rammed into the LED when I was sliding the zoom collar in and out trying to figure out what was going on. Anyway, the question is: how do I go about getting the right replacement part? I see a lot of listings on Aliexpress and Ebay showing similar parts, but no mention of voltage requirements, only diameter of the disc. Will the same unit work on a single or double cell light, or is it only the driver that differs? The driver board is separate on this light and I'm assuming it's ok. Any help from the experts to clarify this would be appreciated.
Regards,
Chet

pc_light

Enlightened
Chet,

The LEDs used are typically 3V, 6V, 12V "high-power" or 30V COB types. Sight unseen, I would have ventured a guess that it's a 3V emitters but since you mentioned the light uses 2-cells, it could very well be something else.

Since you'll have to take it apart to replace part anyway, some photos of the damaged "pill" would help those who might weigh in with suggestions.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
"A 2 cell 18650" light would need a pill that runs off voltage typically supplied by a pair of 18650's. Figure 3.5-4.2(x2) for voltage requirements. If it says 6 to 9 volts it's probably going to be ok.

Latest posts