How do you protect your batteries?

Mattman

Enlightened
With the overall lifespan of rechargeable batteries being so long, they're bound to see damage from the many insertions and removals. I'm seeing spring damage on the flat end of my AA NiMH's already and they've only been in and out of my light maybe 10-15 times for each pair. Are there any alternatives to the normal springs (Minimag in this case) that don't act like drill bits on the end of your batteries? Are there any other tips for saving your batteries from this type of wear?

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Mattman,

I currently have 44 rechargeable cells in daily use. I have only noticed a few scratch marks on the cells, but there is no indentation or other damage.

Perhaps your spring is a little out of shape as Playboy Joe has mentioned.

Tom

Size15's

Flashaholic
There are two points I'd like to make:

1) Wrong forum - I'll move it to Batteries.

2) SureFire's [spring] contacts have a sharp point to scratch the battery to make better contact.

Al

Cougar_Allen

Newly Enlightened
You're here now -- in the "Flashlight Electronics - Batteries Included" forum. Welcome to the party! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/party.gif

RussH

Enlightened
Mattman, I either bend the very end of the spring over with a pair of needle nose pliers, while holding as many coils as possible (gently) with larger pliers, or file the end smooth - round it off - with a small file. After you bend the end overand in (to center) you can stretch the spring slightly to insure it makes good contact. RussH

Prolepsis

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Size15s said:
2) SureFire's [spring] contacts have a sharp point to scratch the battery to make better contact.
Al

[/ QUOTE ]

With regards to SureFire's springs, I sometimes put a piece of aluminum foil between my SureFire and Pila--this way, the foil gets scratched. However, if the foil moves (say while twisting on the spring+cap), the light may turn on.

Sometimes I can't be bothered, so now my main Pila has a few scratches.

Mattman

Enlightened
I need to come up with something on this one quick since I just ordered a battery-eating sandwich. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif I tried a couple of krolls in the place of the standard Minimag spring and they both cut in to my batteries. RussH, I like your bending of the spring idea and Prolepsis' idea of the sacrificial foil is something more along the lines I was originally envisioning. I tried taking a little off of the original spring with a dremel, but I think I only succeeded in making a more perfect battery slicing tool out of the spring. It's time to try some bending with tiny pliers before I have to replace my batteries daily (because they're run down, not destroyed, hehe)...I'll probably give the foil a try too. Thanks, guys!

Latest posts