Sky Lumen        
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Jetbeam RRT01vn - The Best EDC R

Flashaholic

Default Re: Jetbeam RRT01vn - The Best EDC R

Well heck, in measuring the slots I neglected to leave some wiggle room - 2x12 will not fit, unless you hit the slots with a little grinding.
    So I either go with short fit, or... find some in ~2x10, but I've had no luck finding these - anyone know a reputable supplier?

Quote Originally Posted by Rasher View Post
    Well heck, in measuring the slots I neglected to leave some wiggle room - 2x12 will not fit, unless you hit the slots with a little grinding.
    So I either go with short fit, or... find some in ~2x10, but I've had no luck finding these - anyone know a reputable supplier?
    Crappp
    I am happy to realize how happy I am. Thus, a chain reaction of happiness.
    SkyLumen54@gmail.com

Default Jetbeam RRT01vn - The Best EDC R

Yep. You can grind the ends of the slot a touch. Otherwise they don't fit. I don't have my light yet so have not decided what to do.

Would sizes like 2.5 mm x 10 mm or 1.4 mm x 11.5 mm possibly work?
    LIGHT BRANDS IN ROTATION: FW3A, Zebralight, Jetbeam, Lumintop, RovyVon, Olight, Astrolux, Nitecore, NovaTac

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by xevious View Post
    Would sizes like 2.5 mm x 10 mm or 1.4 mm x 11.5 mm possibly work?
    Don't have my calipers handy, but I think 2.5 might be a tad too wide, 11.5 probably a tad too long. I'm just going to give the tailcap to a machinist buddy and have him open up the slots.

Don't have my calipers handy, but I think 2.5 might be a tad too wide, 11.5 probably a tad too long. I'm just going to give the tailcap to a machinist buddy and have him open up the slots.
    If you could check it, that would be great. Nice to have that machinist buddy -- you're quite lucky!
    LIGHT BRANDS IN ROTATION: FW3A, Zebralight, Jetbeam, Lumintop, RovyVon, Olight, Astrolux, Nitecore, NovaTac

Why jetbeam why!?!?!??!
    SkyLumen54@gmail.com

Whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!......

Quote Originally Posted by vinhnguyen54 View Post
    Why jetbeam why!?!?!??!
    Malkoff Devices MD2 M61T, JetE17A Red AAA.

Quote Originally Posted by neutralwhite View Post
    Whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!......
    Looking back at all of Nitecores releases they have been one of the most innovative company. I love them but man they just have to screw up a small detail somewhere on all their good lights. Its not until the C2vn that I am 100% impressed. (TiniVN is great too). Anyhow the latest iteration of the Jetbeam RRT01vn is perfect to me. Its a EDC many I wish they could have made. Other than the Made in USA aspect I prefer it over the mighty HDS Rotary. I love every single thing about it. But why the hell did they put some large ass slots and have no trits fit in?! Who the heck put on this design and not think of trits? I have the same design on Genesis twisty tail cap so I thought it must be 2"" X 12mm. Arghhhhhhhhhhhhh

Last edited by vinhnguyen54; 03-13-2019 at 05:02 PM.
    SkyLumen54@gmail.com

I just ground out slots using Diamond bur, sphere 5/64.

Last edited by scintillator; 03-13-2019 at 07:10 PM. Reason: remove img tags

Quote Originally Posted by scintillator View Post
    I just ground out slots using Diamond bur, sphere 5/64.
    Nice work!

BTW, You can remove the IMG tags from your pictures before posting.

~ Chance
    Last edited by Chauncey Gardiner; 03-14-2019 at 09:00 AM. Reason: Removed pictures. you're welcome.
    Never point a flashlight at anything you don't intend to illuminate! Never buy a flashlight you have to make payments on.

Can you provide more details on what you did? Those are 2x12mm trits then?

gunga
    Those are 2x12 trits.
    Using the 5/64" round diamond bur in a dremel tool at high speed.
    Gently enter the slot and move the bur around to the end then keep bumping the end till all the anodizing is gone then continue to rout around like you are engraving.
    Continue the engraving motions till trits fit.
    I found it necessary to grind the bottom of the slot to a little to get the trit all the way down.
    I used magnifier to see detail and just keep grinding (engraving) till the trit fits.
    5/64" is approximately 1.9mm I got the bur on ebay few bucks a piece.
    About 30min total,and wear a dust mask.

Thanks for the details! I'm a bit worried about doing this myself. Wish they had just sized the slots appropriately. You needed up grind the bottom? Was the slot too shallow? Sigh. So 2x10 would stick out?

I ran a straight edge over the slot with the trit in and it seemed to hit ever so slightly.
    I want them to be below the surface.

Ah yes... the trit slots that don't fit any trits.

Owners on BLF encountered the same thing. Seems that 2x10 trits either don't exist or are unobtainable.

If you don't want to grind the slots, your best bet is probably to glue in 2x6 trits.

Default Jetbeam RRT01vn - The Best EDC R

I asked about getting 2x10mm trits made. It's possible but the MOQ would be about 200 per colour and the lead time could be 4-5 months. So it's possible if there is interest but it's slow.

I ran a straight edge over the slot with the trit in and it seemed to hit ever so slightly.
    I want them to be below the surface.
    Wow... so it's worse than being short of 2 mm x 12 mm, but also in depth. Jetbeam really failed here. These slots OBVIOUSLY look like tritium slots, but then they create a shape that can't serve any production tritium vials.

Yes, you absolutely do not want the glass of the vials flush or slightly above the metal surface. There needs to be enough of a buffer such that they sit below and allow for a nice layer of optical adhesive to provide some protection.

By the way, I wonder if stripping off the anodizing and exposing shiny silver steel helps with tritium visibility... because the light facing rearward is not lost in black anodizing, but may actually be reflected.
    Last edited by xevious; 03-15-2019 at 11:31 AM.

Wow... so it's worse than being short of 2 mm x 12 mm, but also in depth. Jetbeam really failed here. These slots OBVIOUSLY look like tritium slots, but then they create a shape that can't serve any production tritium vials.

Yes, you absolutely do not want the glass of the vials flush or slightly above the metal surface. There needs to be enough of a buffer such that they sit below and allow for a nice layer of optical adhesive to provide some protection.

By the way, I wonder if stripping off the anodizing and exposing shiny silver steel helps with tritium visibility... because the light facing rearward is not lost in black anodizing, but may actually be reflected.
    Look like we need a shop intervention...$$$$ wont be fun...I can likely hand grind a few myself but I would be too scared to mess one up..
    SkyLumen54@gmail.com

Maybe they're actually just "glow powder slots".

Stick in some glow powder, put some clear glue on top. Done.

Quote Originally Posted by Fireclaw18 View Post
    Maybe they're actually just "glow powder slots".

Stick in some glow powder, put some clear glue on top. Done.
    If there's one thing they did do, was not to mention tritium vials anywhere on their site page for this light, or in any of the specifications. So... there's no official stance on those slots. But the flashlight community sure feels duped by this. Without measuring, you'd swear they were tritium slots.

If there's one thing they did do, was not to mention tritium vials anywhere on their site page for this light, or in any of the specifications. So... there's no official stance on those slots. But the flashlight community sure feels duped by this. Without measuring, you'd swear they were tritium slots.
    LOL Yup We are just bitter trits dont fit.
    SkyLumen54@gmail.com

I think they just arbitrarily made that design on their tailcap, not thinking that other lights that used a similar design actually had them for trits.

Just s thought;two 1.5 x 5 mm trits per slot might work?

Just s thought;two 1.5 x 5 mm trits per slot might work?
    Yep. I'm going to try 1.5x6mm plus 1.5x6mm together. Don't want to grind anything and might have fun mixing colours. Plus I have a few Extra 1.5x5mm.

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by twistedraven View Post
    I think they just arbitrarily made that design on their tailcap, not thinking that other lights that used a similar design actually had them for trits.
    I hope not, kind of ugly and brutal if assumed nothing went in those slots. Then again..... who knows!

U guys r making me so anxious to get the lights and see what the options are now...
    SkyLumen54@gmail.com

Is that batch 2 ?

Quote Originally Posted by twistedraven View Post
    Jetbeam RRT-01 2019 design team meeting:

Joe: "Hey guys, it's time to redesign the RRT01 for the new year. Today let's talk about what changes we should make to the tailcap."

Bob: "People complained about the old RRT-01 tailcap. They didn't like the stainless steel lanyard ring. It looked too much like a pushbutton and confused people. Also, the way the tailcap tapered in made tailstanding unstable. And if you used a lanyard it couldn't tailstand at all."

Bill: "Actually nobody ever used a lanyard with the RRT-01. I think we should ditch the lanyard ring."

Joe: "Got it. So flat base for better tailstanding and no lanyard ring. The bottom of the light looks really boring now. We should liven it up with something."

Bob: "I've noticed some other manufacturers put these little teeny tiny slots on their lights to make them look cool. How about we do the same."

Bill: "Are you sure these random slots are a good idea? They look like they would collect dirt. I wonder why other manufacturers add them."

Joe:
    "Who knows. But apparently customers like them. Random decorative slots in the bottom of the light. Make it so!"

Quote Originally Posted by Tejasandre View Post
    Is that batch 2 ?
    Yes
    SkyLumen54@gmail.com

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast