Private Messages....

Greta

Flashaholic
Well it's not like it's something you actually have to CHECK... if there's a little blinking envelope at the top of any page next to your username, you have a PM. If there's nothing, then you don't have a PM. How were you able to ignore that annoying little blinking envelope for WEEKS?!?!? ... it drives me nuts after about 2 seconds!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif

avusblue

Enlightened
On my computer, the little envelope icon appears when I have a PM, but it doesn't blink. It's pretty small, so I could see how someone could miss or ignore it.

Is there something I need to turn on, or select a certain setting, to get the blink?

Thanks,

Dave

Orion

Flashlight Enthusiast
I believe the 'blinking' may depend on your computer. It blinks at my work, but not at my home. Home has a dial up connection, work has a T1 connection. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
It blinks on my laptop as well. I agree Sasha. It quickly gets my attention and I certainly read them right away, so the blinking goes away. I never really understood why so many folks disable there PM's. It's really quite handy and you never need to worry about SPAM.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
BugLightGeek ... exactly. Finally there's someone out there to talk to guys like us ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif
bernhard
[/OT]

metalhed

Enlightened
Just for info's sake...if the PM icon uses the <blink> command, it will only work for Netscape users. I believe that blink is a Netscape only extension that MikeRoweSoft never adopted. I also believe it has been deprecated in the newer HTML standards.

If I'm wrong then someone please correct me. Please!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

metalhed

Enlightened
Ok, I stand corrected. But checking my HTML manual and around the web, makes me think the implementation here on CPF may be JavaScript (instead of blink). If so, anyone who has disabled Java will not see the icon at all (I think).

Geez, maybe I shouldn't have taken that web design class after all. Now I seem to think I know it all.

And we all know better than that. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

Empath

Flashaholic
It's just a gif graphic. The blinking is in the graphic itself.
newpm.gif

BF Hammer

Enlightened
Actually, it's easy to ignore the blinking icon. Just don't log in and start reading messages. No icon, no worries. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

metalhed

Enlightened
That's what I get for thinking to much... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif...trying to make a simple problem complicated. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hahaha.gif

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
To add a little confusion, when I clk cpf at work, I am logged-on (yes I checked remember me) I see the flashing PM notice. When I clk cpf at home, I get "not logged on," but as soon as i leave the main page, I'm logged on and see the flashing mail icon. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

Larry