3157 True Amber Glass Options

TechGuru

Newly Enlightened
I'm currently using Wagner for my front turn signals simply because they are the only brand I can find that use natural amber glass instead of dye/paint that flakes off and contaminates my housing by some here are telling me Wagner is a "economy" bulb...

81Ofa1Gs+sL._SL1500_.jpg

I know Sylvania and GE (I think it was) use paint/dye, I'm not 100% sure about Philips because I've only seen photos.

If you know of a brighter 3157NA that uses amber glass and not dye please let me know.

Does the same rule as headlights apply here? (The LL not being as bright as the non-LL)?

Last edited:

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
The flaky coatings can be a real nuisance, that is true. And yes, while most of Wagner's lighting line is cost-prioritized, i.e., cheaper rather than better, these all-glass GT8 bulbs with the plastic collar, which Wagner devised (when they still had engineers on staff) as a workaround for Sylvania's patent on the plastic wedge S8 bulbs, are pretty good. Plus you get the supported minor filament which most competitors don't have.

Alternatives: for an ultra-ultra long life bulb with the same output you can use the 5702KA, designed to hold up for prolonged usage with the major filament lit (turn signal DRLs) with GM's unusually high system voltage. Sourced by GM from Wagner and at least one other maker, I think Sylvania. I have only seen these in amber glass, not coated.

For brighter alternatives, you can use 3457NA from Wagner, Philips or GE; last I checked, all three brands sell these made of amber glass because the higher-output bulb runs hotter and would prematurely flake off an amber coating. Short life, though, so you might want to use the long-life version.

The longest-life high-output version is 5701KA, but expect to pay for the privilege (compare that price for one bulb to this price for two of the 3457NA/long life).

The standard-output amber bulbs (3157, 4157, 5702) give off 24/2.2 candlepower.
The high-output amber bulbs (3457, 5701) give off 30/2.2 candlepower.
The reduced-minor amber bulbs (3057, 4057, 5703) give off 24/1.5 candlepower.

You generally won't see a poorer output profile from the long-life version of a signal bulb.

lumen aeternum

Enlightened
"these all-glass GT8 bulbs with the plastic collar"
Meaning the part number on the photo of the package, "BP3157NALL" ???

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
BP: Blister Pack
3157NALL: 3157 Natural Amber Long Life.

It would be nice if "Natural Amber" always meant actual amber glass vice clear glass with an amber coating, but it can only be assumed to mean that the bulbs are see-thru amber as opposed to the very old amber bulbs that looked like they'd been painted with school bus or taxi paint. These days there is no consistency across makers as far as whether there is a difference or a distinction between an "A" and an "NA" bulb.

Cadchris

Newly Enlightened
Better late then never.

How about these for the gent?

"Get em' while the gett'ins good".

ACDELCO5701KA{#25769553}GM Original Equipment $5.09 on "The Rock" vs. $77 on Amazon.

But.....Only sold in packs of 10 which is going to be $50....:ohgeez:

https://www.rockauto.com/en/parts/acdelco,5701KA,tail+lamp+bulb,13662

UPDATE:
As of 1/25/21, the price seems to be adjusted to $4.94 per bulb and stays that way in the CART. Not sure if there's a catch but looks like a single bulb can be purchased now.

Best wishes to all during these dark-times......

Last edited:

Ofelas

Enlightened
Virgil (& others) - is there a brighter/LL version of the incandescent 2357NA?

These are the only ones I found, but not sure whether the picture is accurate as far showing them as non painted.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0173MKEKI/?tag=cpf0b6-20

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072BX8W68/?tag=cpf0b6-20

I found a dozen or so non painted amber glass Hungarian made GE 2357NAs a couple years back, and they are brighter than 1157NA when used with Stern's DRL+ module, as well as on park/flash functions.

I've stuck to incandescents, as so far, I haven't found an amber high quality LED (the Zevos I tried were dimmer with less dim/bright differentiation than a 2057NA go figure) - and I've given up hope of Philips ever making amber Xtreme 1157 LEDs.

I thought of using clear Stanley P3496 bulbs with that tape backing on the clear lenses, but all I find is yellow tape, rather than amber.

Cheers.

Last edited:

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
I haven't been impressed recently with any aspect of the quality of the Philips incandescent bulbs sold in the American market. The Bosch-branded bulbs might be worth a try; if you do, be sure to let us know how it works out.

If you want to use the 3496 bulb, which is not available in amber, you could do what American car makers did with their small-volume European exports in the roughly thirty years between amber turn signals becoming required in Europe and a European-approved amber bulb becoming available: paint the lenses. Preferably the inside surface, if it can be accessed, but that may not be possible in the case of bonded 1-piece lens/reflector units.

It's not a big surprise that you didn't have good luck with the Zevo LEDs -- like all LED retrofit bulbs so far to date, they work well in some lamps, OK in some other lamps, not well in some lamps, and not at all in still other lamps.

Ofelas

Enlightened
The inside surface of the clear lenses will be tricky, as the front markers on my truck are one piece pods/lenses.

Still, if I see any signs of runs/drips, I can dremel the lens tabs off, paint, and re seal them to the pods.

Ordered - thx for that link.

jzchen

Enlightened
Better late then never.

How about these for the gent?

ACDELCO5701KA{#25769553}GM Original Equipment $5.09 on "The Rock" vs. $77 on Amazon.

But.....Only sold in packs of 10 which is going to be $50....:ohgeez:

I read here, from Virgil, headlight bulbs don't go bad with age, I guess this would apply with mini-bulbs also?

Is it accurate that all "NA" bulbs are made from yellow glass (non-flaky)?

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
I read here, from Virgil, headlight bulbs don't go bad with age, I guess this would apply with mini-bulbs also?
Even headlamp bulbs are miniature bulbs.
Their shelf life is virtually forever if you never use them although technically fill gas could escape/normal air can get in where the leads exit the glass envelope, but this could take years and years unless the bulb is defective.

Using them wears them, and in the case of "Long Life" bulbs, bits of filament fly off and stick to the envelope, causing blackening and a sort of black pearlescent appearance. The bulb lights up but it's not as effective.

Is it accurate that all "NA" bulbs are made from yellow glass (non-flaky)?
Not accurate.

Last edited:

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
fill gas could escape/normal air can get in where the leads exit the glass envelope, but this could take years and years unless the bulb is defective.

It will only happen (ever) if the bulb is defective. Shelf life of a properly-made bulb is "forever" or "until it gets dropped and broken", whichever happens first. The one semi-exception is that old sealed beams with a glued seal at the back where the exhaust tube ends and/or where the wires are capped, can lose their seal over many years of shelf time as the glue dries out and cracks, allowing air in. Then the first time the old-stock sealed beam is lit up, it fails within a few minutes.