Selfbuilt’s mystery box reveal

badtziscool

Flashlight Enthusiast
I thought I'd start a separate thread to showcase Selfbuilt's recent mystery box purchase. This is what I got:

w7PemUq.jpg

twmlSYV.jpg

RjcL62X.jpg

lIMi97v.jpg

qqBlHY0.jpg

ASWgFew.jpg

All in all an excellent score! I've always been curious about these different light formats but I never had a chance to try them out. Now I can and I'm sure it's going to start up my interests in these different formats. Thanks Eric for doing such a fun sales post. It will be a very refreshing next few weeks for me and my flashlights.

If you received one of these mystery boxes from Eric, post them here and show us what you got!

saypat

Enlightened
I'd say that if everyone got a comparable selection as yours there are going to be some happy people.. Nice score!

dotCPF

Flashlight Enthusiast
jayAkJM

Fenix LD60
Jetbeam PC10
Nitecore EC20
Skilhunt K10
Sunwayman P25C

I bought this knowing I was probably only going to keep one or two. Not sure what's going to make the cut yet. I like the Jetbeam, it's a neat little light and built well. The Sunwayman and the Skilhunt are very similar, they both have similar two-switch UIs that allow you to change the rear switch/ momentary on output! I LOVE this feature and it's so rare to find in a light. The initial like was the Fenix LD60, but the switch/ UI is kinda clunky. Maybe a great candidate for some LH351D 4000k emitter swaps....

I think I'll buy a couple USB charging 18650s and give out two or three of them to some friends, and stash the leftovers in various places.

Thanks Selfbuilt! Very interesting and fun opportunity to give a few different lights a go!

Below are the pictures of aginthelaw's Mystery Box.

Got one of the selfbuilt mystery boxes containing an eagtac m3c4, a jetbeam rrt-21, Olight m20, xeno g42 (wow is she built!!!), and a rofis tr31c. In other purchases, I received a couple cerakoted customs all with batteries included: k70vn in chameleon purple, k60vn in tan, and a fiat lux tk75 in distressed stormtrooper white.
And lastly a couple efests and a reylight cu pineapple.

B0r2LsC.jpg
nD60cn0.jpg

wYs4YRB.jpg
UHPTShi.jpg

GSwWHxV.jpg
PVmFz6t.jpg

Last edited:

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Glad you guys are happy so far. Most boxes weren't even scheduled to arrive until tomorrow or later in the week (depending on how far away you live from me). Hope everyone found this a fun process, and are enjoying the range of interfaces.

I am cobbling together my remaining lights for a new sale, which I will term "mid-range mystery boxes." Basically, they will be the inverse of this sale: boxes will include one (or two) "premium brand" lights, and the rest will be from the "mid-range brand" names (which include Bronte, Imalent, ITP, Orcatorch, L3 Illumination, Lumintop, Lumapower, Nextorch, Niwalker, Ray Tactical, SkyRay, Solarforce, Xeno and Xtar). As you are seeing though, the distinction between these brands is really more familiarity that quality - IMO, many of the lights have equivalent build quality to the better known brand names.

Still sorting though lights, but it won't be anywhere near as many boxes this time. Will keep you posted once I have a confirmed number and ETA (likely a weekend launch again). :wave:

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Does anyone know what the last one is? It has the 47's logo on the boot
Yeah, I was running low on 1xCR123A lights, so a couple of "loose ones" went into boxes, with holsters that fit. Honestly can't recall the story with that one. First batch 4Sevens lights had a built-in clip on the head (and their name printed). Does it seem to have a XP-E emitter (and match the UI of early Quarks)? It may have been an early engineering sample - not something that I typically give away or sell, but it is hard to remember after so many reviews!

Some things have become a mystery to me as well, I guess. :laughing:

MX421

Enlightened
Got mine yesterday and received the following:

Olight S30
Eagletac TX25C2
Nitecore TM11
Skilhunt DS10
Jetbeam PC20

No pictures as i think photobucket doesn't work like it used to. Like dotCPF, i also figured i would get a chance to try a few lights i wouldn't have tried before and possibly an off chance I'd get a light that the review of actually convinced me to buy a light I already had. It wasn't the AT Barracuda I had hoped, but instead the Olight S30 that convinced me to buy the titanium version of the light was received. So, that goal achieved!

I haven't played with them much yet, but so far I really like the Eagletac even if it didn't come with the filters, and of course the Olight. I've been on the run a bit and haven't had the chance to get some 16340, or button top 18650 batteries to try out the DS10 or the TM11. The latter looks like it will also be interesting to compare with my TK75 although its much smaller.
I'll also probably give the lights i don't wish to keep as gifts, but perhaps those of us that got these boxes could trade each other some of the lights to further try new things before going that route.

Thanks Selfbuilt, not only for the great sale, but also the great reviews!

Last edited:

DMS1970

Enlightened
I thought I'd copy my post from Incoming to here to keep them all together:

Since I'm in Canada, I guess I'm the first to get my mystery box. Pretty pleased with the results, a few of these lights I've never heard of. 3 lights with rotary control are my first with this.

012-DB9-B6-8170-4587-AADB-D44-D78-BF2717.jpg
[/URL] [/IMG]

The lights are:

jetbeam rrt 02 raptor - single 18650 rotary control with tailswitch
sunwayman m10r - 16340 rotary control with tail switch
eagletac m3c4 - dual 18650 with rotary control, no switch! Came with 2 battery carriers and color filters
sunwayman t45c - dual 18650 with side switch
crelant 7g6cs - single 18650

if I had to rank them
in terms of favorites:
1 sunwayman t45c - very well made great ui
2 sunwayman m10r
3 jetbeam rrt02
4 eagletac - kind of a beast for the output but straightforward rotary control. Off- low to turbo, off and on to turbo for strobe
5 crelant - a little on the low end of output but great ui. 1 button on off hold to cycle 4 levels with last level memory

badtziscool

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for sharing everyone!

I'd have to say, after a couple of days of limited playtime, I'd have to say that for me and the mystery box I received, the ones that intrigued me the most are the JetBeam BC40 and the Lumintop PS03.

I've never had a soda-can style light and after playing with the PS03, I now see the appeal of this format. Very small form factor for the sheer amount of light it produces. Still too large for EDC or backpacking, but at the campsite or lighting up the jungle gym for the kids to play on at the park, it's perfect. And this "only" produces 2800 lumens. I can't imagine a more modern light that now pushes out twice this. I guess the good thing of "only" 2800 lumens in this format is that it can handle the heat and run for an extended period of time.

I also love the concept of the BC40: 2x18650, mode changes in the twist of the head, and just on/off function for the tail switch. This light was meant to be a budget light with limited features, but with solid execution and solid construction. Also very refreshing to operate and not have to think about anything: click on. click off. No accidental mode changes.

The M22 and M11r are what I expected. I've had some variation of those two lights before so nothing new here for me. I haven't had a chance to play around with the P12, but I suspect I won't really like it, since I've never been a fan of the dual switch side/tail setup, but who knows.

I would definitely say, if you have a chance to get one of Selfbuilt's mystery boxes, it's an excellent way to try out different style lights. Sometimes you just have to experience them in person to truly get a feel for their function.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Glad everyone is having fun!

I'll also probably give the lights i don't wish to keep as gifts, but perhaps those of us that got these boxes could trade each other some of the lights to further try new things before going that route.

I must say, I think that is a really cool idea. If you guys want to swap lights after you have played around with the interfaces, I think that would really help keep the spirit of this venture alive!

I was trying to make the boxes diverse in regards to makes/models/time periods, etc., but didn't really pay that close attention to interfaces (beyond twisty/clicky). It's hard to balance everything, but I'll try to make sure there is good variety in the next batch of boxes. I'm still digging around to see what I can come up with, so stay tuned for the next sale. :wave:

Last edited: