Malkoff        
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Selfbuilt’s mystery box reveal

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Selfbuilt’s mystery box reveal

I thought I’d start a separate thread to showcase Selfbuilt’s recent mystery box purchase. This is what I got:

All in all an excellent score! I’ve always been curious about these different light formats but I never had a chance to try them out. Now I can and I’m sure it’s going to start up my interests in these different formats. Thanks Eric for doing such a fun sales post. It will be a very refreshing next few weeks for me and my flashlights.

If you received one of these mystery boxes from Eric, post them here and show us what you got!
    Who needs to see the light at the end of the tunnel when you have friends on CPF?
    My flashlight videos: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list...9TIYcGeuBXa5m0

Flashaholic

Default Re: Selfbuilt’s mystery box reveal

Awesome score for sure

I'd say that if everyone got a comparable selection as yours there are going to be some happy people.. Nice score!
    G.K Chesterton, when asked 'what is wrong with the world?' simply replied 'I am!'

What's with the Olight logo? Did they change it recently?
    17 is 11, 11 is 6, 6 is 3 and 3 is none. Also it's good to have some backups.

Quote Originally Posted by wosser View Post
    What's with the Olight logo? Did they change it recently?
    I'm sure it's an older logo. The M22 came out almost 6 years ago.
    Who needs to see the light at the end of the tunnel when you have friends on CPF?

Fenix LD60
    Jetbeam PC10
    Nitecore EC20
    Skilhunt K10
    Sunwayman P25C

I bought this knowing I was probably only going to keep one or two. Not sure what's going to make the cut yet. I like the Jetbeam, it's a neat little light and built well. The Sunwayman and the Skilhunt are very similar, they both have similar two-switch UIs that allow you to change the rear switch/ momentary on output! I LOVE this feature and it's so rare to find in a light. The initial like was the Fenix LD60, but the switch/ UI is kinda clunky. Maybe a great candidate for some LH351D 4000k emitter swaps....

I think I'll buy a couple USB charging 18650s and give out two or three of them to some friends, and stash the leftovers in various places.

Thanks Selfbuilt! Very interesting and fun opportunity to give a few different lights a go!

Dang. I definitely wish I’d hopped in on this now
    hunter, fisherman, flashlight enthusiast

Glad you guys are happy so far. Most boxes weren't even scheduled to arrive until tomorrow or later in the week (depending on how far away you live from me). Hope everyone found this a fun process, and are enjoying the range of interfaces.

I am cobbling together my remaining lights for a new sale, which I will term "mid-range mystery boxes." Basically, they will be the inverse of this sale: boxes will include one (or two) "premium brand" lights, and the rest will be from the "mid-range brand" names (which include Bronte, Imalent, ITP, Orcatorch, L3 Illumination, Lumintop, Lumapower, Nextorch, Niwalker, Ray Tactical, SkyRay, Solarforce, Xeno and Xtar). As you are seeing though, the distinction between these brands is really more familiarity that quality - IMO, many of the lights have equivalent build quality to the better known brand names.

Still sorting though lights, but it won't be anywhere near as many boxes this time. Will keep you posted once I have a confirmed number and ETA (likely a weekend launch again).
    Full list of all my reviews: flashlightreviews.ca. Latest hobby: whiskyanalysis.com. New: Selfbuilt's MID-RANGE MYSTERY BOX Sale
    Gratefully accepting donations to my battery fund.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by badtziscool View Post
    I thought I’d start a separate thread to showcase Selfbuilt’s recent mystery box purchase. This is what I got:

Nice Olight! Looks like you also got a good selection! Enjoy!

Flashaholic*

posted over in the whats in the mail thread:

Quote Originally Posted by mcbrat View Post
    My selfbuilt box came today as well. I don't normally look at lights like these, so was interesting to me to see them.

Selfbuilt,
    Thanks! this is even fun for those on the sideline watching!

Hi all,

Good news, I've found another storage bin on relatively modern premium lights, including a few with built-in rechargeable batteries. I'm also going to release some of the 1xCR123A lights I was keeping in my personal collection (including a few I haven't reviewed). So that will allow me to stretch the remaining lights into more boxes (probably ~12), with fairly similar composition to the first batch (maybe ~half premium/half mid-range this time, with a similar mix of newer and older). I will let these go at a slight discount to the last batch, and open it up to everyone again.

Currently aiming to start the next sale around noon-ish EDT on Saturday. Will keep you posted.
    Last edited by selfbuilt; 03-14-2019 at 07:58 AM.
    Full list of all my reviews: flashlightreviews.ca. Latest hobby: whiskyanalysis.com. New: Selfbuilt's MID-RANGE MYSTERY BOX Sale

Quote Originally Posted by selfbuilt View Post
    Hi all,

Good news, I've found another storage bin on relatively modern premium lights, including a few with built-in rechargeable batteries. I'm also going to release some of the 1xCR123A lights I was keeping in my personal collection (including a few I haven't reviewed). So that will allow me to stretch the remaining lights into more boxes (probably ~12), with fairly similar composition to the first batch (maybe ~half premium/half mid-range this time, with a similar mix of newer and older). I will let these go at a slight discount to the last batch, and open it up to everyone again.

Currently aiming to start the next sale around noon-ish EDT on Saturday. Will keep you posted.
    If reserve a box or PayPal you right now if possible lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Grinchstolelights View Post
    If reserve a box or PayPal you right now if possible lol.
    LOL, no advance reservations I'm afraid (as I'm still finalizing details of contents, cost, # of boxes, etc).

I'll open up the new sale with all details at noon EDT (sharp) on Saturday. That strikes me as fairest, to let everyone get in on whatever the new sale will look like.

Hey Selfbuilt et al! Looks like I picked a good time to poke my nose in and see what the ol' CPF was up to! I'll try and keep an eye out for the sale on Saturday. Would be fun to get excited about flashlights again after all these years! Cheers!

Hi all,

I registered here just to get access to this- PO’d at myself for not registering for first sale.

Just received my mystery box today.
    I am quite impatient to try them out.
    The best part is that I have no idea if I should feel lucky about the lights I just received (maybe some more experienced CPFers can tell me).

I do not know much about those lights as I would not have bought them in the first place (with the exception of the S10 baton, have already a few Ti and copper versions).

And, as others already said, it will be quite fun to discover and handle lights that you would not think that you may be interested in.

Again, I am not sure if I should feel lucky about my particular box but what I am sure of, is that I am very happy I received one.

Thank you very much Eric.

Lights received:
    - Crelant 7G3CS
    - EagleTac M3C4 (original version)
    - Olight S10 Baton
    - Olight T20
    - Sunwayman C20C

And now I need to go read some reviews... and checking reviews post purchase would be a first for me too.
    Last edited by kimloris; 03-14-2019 at 06:23 PM.

Eric is it still one per cpf member? Meaning I have already purchased a box with the first run.

Quote Originally Posted by fordcappy View Post
    Eric is it still one per cpf member? Meaning I have already purchased a box with the first run.
    Yes, still one per member, open to everyone again. As this is a new sale of a slightly different composition, I am opening it back up to all (including those who have bought on previous sales). First come, first serve in just under an hour (12:00pm noon EDT sharp).

I plan to offer these boxes for $90 USD, shipped (Canada/US only).

Thank you.

Yes, still one per member, open to everyone again. As this is a new sale of a slightly different composition, I am opening it back up to all (including those who have bought on previous sales). First come, first serve in just under an hour (12:00pm noon EDT sharp).

I plan to offer these boxes for $90 USD, shipped (Canada/US only).

New sales thread live.

EDIT: As of 1:45pm EDT, five boxes are sold - six left!
    Last edited by selfbuilt; 03-16-2019 at 01:58 PM.

Are we going to post the 2nd wave of unboxings here also?
    a single sunbeam is enough to drive away many shadows- St. Francis of Assissi

Quote Originally Posted by aginthelaw View Post
    What do you mean? I haven't had the chance to post the 1st wave

Received it on Monday. Canada post and USPS both had a little rough time getting the package to me but it got here safe and sound.

Some of these will probably filter back out to the community but great fun deal regardless!

Might as well, although it would be good if people identify which sale in their posts.

Yeah i I don’t see why we couldn’t. The title I gave this thread fits, so why not?

ImageUploadedByCandlepowerforums1553186880.837200.jpg

S10 baton in charger

ImageUploadedByCandlepowerforums1553186947.357675.jpg
    ImageUploadedByCandlepowerforums1553186970.260004.jpg

A9 u2 tiablo (aspheric head also included)

ImageUploadedByCandlepowerforums1553187017.065157.jpg

Immalent ddr2

ImageUploadedByCandlepowerforums1553187058.970015.jpg

Lumintop terminator X

How did I forget the sky Ray King pics? It has 3 LEDs typical gold color

Sorry - I got my 2nd round medium quality mystery box the other day, but have been busy. It contained:
    Xtar S1 - large triple 18650 - triple XML thrower with rotary control
    Fenix LD 12 - AA light
    Imalent EU06 - single 18650, this is the one with the LCD screen that shows battery and mode with separate spot/flood and red LED
    Olight - H1 Nova headlamp/kit
    Niwalker 600N1 - single 18650 with tail switch and infinitely variable control ring

Pics to follow!

Nice to see some of the new boxes arrived.

Some of the surprises include a couple of lights with optional aspheric heads (I see aginthelaw got one), some rechargeable options (like DMS1970's S10R), and some boxes have newer lights that I never got around to reviewing (like the Olight H1 Nova headlamp kit).

Nice to see some of the new boxes arrived.

...and some boxes have newer lights that I never got around to reviewing (like the Olight H1 Nova headlamp kit).
    If you slowed down on the drinking...

Tough decision i see you have: should i sample some Pappy’s old Kentucky or turn on a light. I’m feeling the stress already...my bottles empty

Quote Originally Posted by ninemm View Post
    XTAR D01 - Magnetic switch whattt?
    Yeah, it's a diving light (hence the bomb-proof design). The magnetic switch is required, as you can't have the pressure change of a physical switch. Also means you can change modes with a strong enough magnet around.

If you slowed down on the drinking...
    Yes, I was "drowning" in lights toward the end, lol.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast