Prometheus        
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Selfbuilt’s mystery box reveal

Default Selfbuilt’s mystery box reveal

I thought I’d start a separate thread to showcase Selfbuilt’s recent mystery box purchase. This is what I got:

All in all an excellent score! I’ve always been curious about these different light formats but I never had a chance to try them out. Now I can and I’m sure it’s going to start up my interests in these different formats. Thanks Eric for doing such a fun sales post. It will be a very refreshing next few weeks for me and my flashlights.

If you received one of these mystery boxes from Eric, post them here and show us what you got!
    Who needs to see the light at the end of the tunnel when you have friends on CPF?
    My flashlight videos: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list...9TIYcGeuBXa5m0

Flashaholic

Default Re: Selfbuilt’s mystery box reveal

Awesome score for sure

I'd say that if everyone got a comparable selection as yours there are going to be some happy people.. Nice score!
    G.K Chesterton, when asked 'what is wrong with the world?' simply replied 'I am!'

What's with the Olight logo? Did they change it recently?
    17 is 11, 11 is 6, 6 is 3 and 3 is none. Also it's good to have some backups.

Quote Originally Posted by wosser View Post
    What's with the Olight logo? Did they change it recently?
    I'm sure it's an older logo. The M22 came out almost 6 years ago.
    Who needs to see the light at the end of the tunnel when you have friends on CPF?

Fenix LD60
    Jetbeam PC10
    Nitecore EC20
    Skilhunt K10
    Sunwayman P25C

I bought this knowing I was probably only going to keep one or two. Not sure what's going to make the cut yet. I like the Jetbeam, it's a neat little light and built well. The Sunwayman and the Skilhunt are very similar, they both have similar two-switch UIs that allow you to change the rear switch/ momentary on output! I LOVE this feature and it's so rare to find in a light. The initial like was the Fenix LD60, but the switch/ UI is kinda clunky. Maybe a great candidate for some LH351D 4000k emitter swaps....

I think I'll buy a couple USB charging 18650s and give out two or three of them to some friends, and stash the leftovers in various places.

Thanks Selfbuilt! Very interesting and fun opportunity to give a few different lights a go!

Below are the pictures of aginthelaw's Mystery Box.

Quote Originally Posted by aginthelaw View Post
    Got one of the selfbuilt mystery boxes containing an eagtac m3c4, a jetbeam rrt-21, Olight m20, xeno g42 (wow is she built!!!), and a rofis tr31c. In other purchases, I received a couple cerakoted customs all with batteries included: k70vn in chameleon purple, k60vn in tan, and a fiat lux tk75 in distressed stormtrooper white.
    And lastly a couple efests and a reylight cu pineapple.

Last edited by Chauncey Gardiner; 03-12-2019 at 04:07 PM.
    Never point a flashlight at anything you don't intend to illuminate! Never buy a flashlight you have to make payments on.

Dang. I definitely wish I’d hopped in on this now
    hunter, fisherman, flashlight enthusiast

Glad you guys are happy so far. Most boxes weren't even scheduled to arrive until tomorrow or later in the week (depending on how far away you live from me). Hope everyone found this a fun process, and are enjoying the range of interfaces.

I am cobbling together my remaining lights for a new sale, which I will term "mid-range mystery boxes." Basically, they will be the inverse of this sale: boxes will include one (or two) "premium brand" lights, and the rest will be from the "mid-range brand" names (which include Bronte, Imalent, ITP, Orcatorch, L3 Illumination, Lumintop, Lumapower, Nextorch, Niwalker, Ray Tactical, SkyRay, Solarforce, Xeno and Xtar). As you are seeing though, the distinction between these brands is really more familiarity that quality - IMO, many of the lights have equivalent build quality to the better known brand names.

Still sorting though lights, but it won't be anywhere near as many boxes this time. Will keep you posted once I have a confirmed number and ETA (likely a weekend launch again).
    Full list of all my reviews: flashlightreviews.ca. Latest hobby: whiskyanalysis.com. New: Selfbuilt's MID-RANGE MYSTERY BOX Sale
    Gratefully accepting donations to my battery fund.

Quote Originally Posted by Chauncey Gardiner View Post
    Below are the pictures of aginthelaw's Mystery Box.

Does anyone know what the last one is? It has the 47’s logo on the boot
    a single sunbeam is enough to drive away many shadows- St. Francis of Assissi

It appears to be 47's Quark 123 from the original run.

Yeah, I was running low on 1xCR123A lights, so a couple of "loose ones" went into boxes, with holsters that fit. Honestly can't recall the story with that one. First batch 4Sevens lights had a built-in clip on the head (and their name printed). Does it seem to have a XP-E emitter (and match the UI of early Quarks)? It may have been an early engineering sample - not something that I typically give away or sell, but it is hard to remember after so many reviews!

Some things have become a mystery to me as well, I guess.
    Full list of all my reviews: flashlightreviews.ca. Latest hobby: whiskyanalysis.com. New: Selfbuilt's MID-RANGE MYSTERY BOX Sale

Flashaholic*

Got mine yesterday and received the following:

Olight S30
    Eagletac TX25C2
    Nitecore TM11
    Skilhunt DS10
    Jetbeam PC20

No pictures as i think photobucket doesn't work like it used to. Like dotCPF, i also figured i would get a chance to try a few lights i wouldn't have tried before and possibly an off chance I'd get a light that the review of actually convinced me to buy a light I already had. It wasn't the AT Barracuda I had hoped, but instead the Olight S30 that convinced me to buy the titanium version of the light was received. So, that goal achieved!

I haven't played with them much yet, but so far I really like the Eagletac even if it didn't come with the filters, and of course the Olight. I've been on the run a bit and haven't had the chance to get some 16340, or button top 18650 batteries to try out the DS10 or the TM11. The latter looks like it will also be interesting to compare with my TK75 although its much smaller.
    I'll also probably give the lights i don't wish to keep as gifts, but perhaps those of us that got these boxes could trade each other some of the lights to further try new things before going that route.

Thanks Selfbuilt, not only for the great sale, but also the great reviews!
    Last edited by MX421; 03-13-2019 at 11:52 AM.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by badtziscool View Post
    I thought I’d start a separate thread to showcase Selfbuilt’s recent mystery box purchase. This is what I got:

Nice Olight! Looks like you also got a good selection! Enjoy!

I thought I'd copy my post from Incoming to here to keep them all together:

Since I’m in Canada, I guess I’m the first to get my mystery box. Pretty pleased with the results, a few of these lights I’ve never heard of. 3 lights with rotary control are my first with this.

[IMG] [/IMG]

The lights are:

jetbeam rrt 02 raptor - single 18650 rotary control with tailswitch
    sunwayman m10r - 16340 rotary control with tail switch
    eagletac m3c4 - dual 18650 with rotary control, no switch! Came with 2 battery carriers and color filters
    sunwayman t45c - dual 18650 with side switch
    crelant 7g6cs - single 18650

if I had to rank them
    in terms of favorites:
    1 sunwayman t45c - very well made great ui
    2 sunwayman m10r
    3 jetbeam rrt02
    4 eagletac - kind of a beast for the output but straightforward rotary control. Off- low to turbo, off and on to turbo for strobe
    5 crelant - a little on the low end of output but great ui. 1 button on off hold to cycle 4 levels with last level memory

Posting this - Selfbuilt's Flashlight Reviews: the new and improved flashlightreviews.ca - in case you fellows want to read about your new lights.

~ Cg
    Never point a flashlight at anything you don't intend to illuminate! Never buy a flashlight you have to make payments on.

Posting this - Selfbuilt's Flashlight Reviews: the new and improved flashlightreviews.ca - in case you fellows want to read about your new lights.
    Good point, not everyone may know about my master list of CPF reviews. Here's the direct link to the full list, sorted in alphabetical order by maker/model: http://www.flashlightreviews.ca/reviews.htm

Flashaholic*

posted over in the whats in the mail thread:

Quote Originally Posted by mcbrat View Post
    My selfbuilt box came today as well. I don't normally look at lights like these, so was interesting to me to see them.

Thanks for sharing everyone!

I'd have to say, after a couple of days of limited playtime, I'd have to say that for me and the mystery box I received, the ones that intrigued me the most are the JetBeam BC40 and the Lumintop PS03.

I've never had a soda-can style light and after playing with the PS03, I now see the appeal of this format. Very small form factor for the sheer amount of light it produces. Still too large for EDC or backpacking, but at the campsite or lighting up the jungle gym for the kids to play on at the park, it's perfect. And this "only" produces 2800 lumens. I can't imagine a more modern light that now pushes out twice this. I guess the good thing of "only" 2800 lumens in this format is that it can handle the heat and run for an extended period of time.

I also love the concept of the BC40: 2x18650, mode changes in the twist of the head, and just on/off function for the tail switch. This light was meant to be a budget light with limited features, but with solid execution and solid construction. Also very refreshing to operate and not have to think about anything: click on. click off. No accidental mode changes.

The M22 and M11r are what I expected. I've had some variation of those two lights before so nothing new here for me. I haven't had a chance to play around with the P12, but I suspect I won't really like it, since I've never been a fan of the dual switch side/tail setup, but who knows.

I would definitely say, if you have a chance to get one of Selfbuilt's mystery boxes, it's an excellent way to try out different style lights. Sometimes you just have to experience them in person to truly get a feel for their function.

Glad everyone is having fun!

Quote Originally Posted by MX421 View Post
    I'll also probably give the lights i don't wish to keep as gifts, but perhaps those of us that got these boxes could trade each other some of the lights to further try new things before going that route.
    I must say, I think that is a really cool idea. If you guys want to swap lights after you have played around with the interfaces, I think that would really help keep the spirit of this venture alive!

I was trying to make the boxes diverse in regards to makes/models/time periods, etc., but didn't really pay that close attention to interfaces (beyond twisty/clicky). It's hard to balance everything, but I'll try to make sure there is good variety in the next batch of boxes. I'm still digging around to see what I can come up with, so stay tuned for the next sale.
    Last edited by selfbuilt; 03-13-2019 at 03:29 PM. Reason: typos

Selfbuilt,
    Thanks! this is even fun for those on the sideline watching!

Hi all,

Good news, I've found another storage bin on relatively modern premium lights, including a few with built-in rechargeable batteries. I'm also going to release some of the 1xCR123A lights I was keeping in my personal collection (including a few I haven't reviewed). So that will allow me to stretch the remaining lights into more boxes (probably ~12), with fairly similar composition to the first batch (maybe ~half premium/half mid-range this time, with a similar mix of newer and older). I will let these go at a slight discount to the last batch, and open it up to everyone again.

Currently aiming to start the next sale around noon-ish EDT on Saturday. Will keep you posted.
    Last edited by selfbuilt; 03-14-2019 at 07:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by selfbuilt View Post
    Hi all,

Good news, I've found another storage bin on relatively modern premium lights, including a few with built-in rechargeable batteries. I'm also going to release some of the 1xCR123A lights I was keeping in my personal collection (including a few I haven't reviewed). So that will allow me to stretch the remaining lights into more boxes (probably ~12), with fairly similar composition to the first batch (maybe ~half premium/half mid-range this time, with a similar mix of newer and older). I will let these go at a slight discount to the last batch, and open it up to everyone again.

Currently aiming to start the next sale around noon-ish EDT on Saturday. Will keep you posted.
    If reserve a box or PayPal you right now if possible lol.

Quote Originally Posted by selfbuilt View Post
    Hi all,

I registered here just to get access to this- PO’d at myself for not registering for first sale.

Quote Originally Posted by Grinchstolelights View Post
    If reserve a box or PayPal you right now if possible lol.
    LOL, no advance reservations I'm afraid (as I'm still finalizing details of contents, cost, # of boxes, etc).

I'll open up the new sale with all details at noon EDT (sharp) on Saturday. That strikes me as fairest, to let everyone get in on whatever the new sale will look like.

Hey Selfbuilt et al! Looks like I picked a good time to poke my nose in and see what the ol' CPF was up to! I'll try and keep an eye out for the sale on Saturday. Would be fun to get excited about flashlights again after all these years! Cheers!

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by ninemm View Post
    Hey Selfbuilt et al! Looks like I picked a good time to poke my nose in and see what the ol' CPF was up to! I'll try and keep an eye out for the sale on Saturday. Would be fun to get excited about flashlights again after all these years! Cheers!
    You stopped?

Just received my mystery box today.
    I am quite impatient to try them out.
    The best part is that I have no idea if I should feel lucky about the lights I just received (maybe some more experienced CPFers can tell me).

I do not know much about those lights as I would not have bought them in the first place (with the exception of the S10 baton, have already a few Ti and copper versions).

And, as others already said, it will be quite fun to discover and handle lights that you would not think that you may be interested in.

Again, I am not sure if I should feel lucky about my particular box but what I am sure of, is that I am very happy I received one.

Thank you very much Eric.

Lights received:
    - Crelant 7G3CS
    - EagleTac M3C4 (original version)
    - Olight S10 Baton
    - Olight T20
    - Sunwayman C20C

And now I need to go read some reviews... and checking reviews post purchase would be a first for me too.
    Last edited by kimloris; 03-14-2019 at 06:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ninemm View Post

Hey ninemm! It's been a long time. Good to see you posting.

~ Chance

Hey ninemm! It's been a long time. Good to see you posting.

~ Chance
    Likewise Chance! Really good to see so many old friends still active on here. One of the best communities I'd had the pleasure to be a part of over the years.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast