Imalent        
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Who has a Cat or Cats?

Default Re: Who has a Cat or Cats?

We have a gray Balinese cat, Toby...our first cat. It was a free barn cat. It was mainly obtained to deter mice (previously had 3 but we have had none since he arrived) It is low maintenance, likes to play when he wants to, is not a cuddler, is in no way needy and lets you know when he has has enough attention.

Kids like him and he serves a purpose. Toby keeps his distance around me...which is fine by me.
    THRUNITE Archer1AV2|TiS|TH20|TN4A Hi...all in neutral white
    YUJILEDS modded Dorcy Penlight, E01, (5)Sofirn C01
    XTARVC4, LCTBC500, Amaloops, 1999MAG-LITE 2D Incandescent(glass lens)

I've got two cats of my own and the SO has another along with 3 dogs. We have a lot of animals.

Cats aren't for everyone ... but neither are dogs. The joke goes that a dog will fight to the death to defend you while a cat will watch you die then eat you. I wouldn't call that a universal truth, but it does strike at the key differences between them. Conversely, dogs are needy high-maintenance animals by compare while cats can often be left alone for days with nothing but the material necessities.

Dogs are inherently social animals, arguably humanity's longest-running genetic engineering experiment. They have a desire for companionship and will usually choose the company of a human over another dog. They also interest themselves in the welfare of those around them thus have a desire to please and protect. One could even argue that dogs have a desire to please humans.

Cats are inherently solitary animals that have existed alongside humans almost as long as dogs, but the relationship has largely been one of hands-off symbiosis. As we developed agriculture we also acquired the presence of small pests which the cat is specialized at regulating and thus cats that could tolerate the peripheral presence of humans thrived. Cats aren't 180į out of phase with dogs and inherently anti- or even asocial - they're just self-interested; witness the breakdown of territory defense and collective kitten raising in situation where prey is abundant like farms. Cats have no desire to please humans or even a desire not to displease them; they can however learn that some actions have negative consequences and thus not to engage in them.

I've found the trick is to work with the cat sense of self-interest. Dogs might naturally gravitate towards humans because it's been bred into them while cats learn to gravitate towards humans under certain conditions. A dog might seek out affection while a cat learns that human can offer affection. A dogs might play fetch naturally, a cat learns that returning the toy results in it being thrown again.

But, as instinctual beasts, there are limits vs dogs. Cats can be discouraged from jumping up on counters but the continuum seems to be "won't do it in front of you" / "won't do it when they know you're around" / "won't leave evidence of their passage" ... with no "won't jump up on the counters ever". Cats with claws are going to need to sharpen them - getting them to do it on supplied scratching posts rather than the furniture will follow a similar progression as not jumping on counters - my condolences if a leather couch is a favorite subject of their need to keep those claws sharp.

I really don't have an answer on litter boxes. My sense of smell has never been described as "acute" or even "average" so they don't much bother me, but frequent maintenance seems to be the key. Clumping litter seems to help. Indoor/outdoor is an answer, but also a risk - with all the missing cat/dog posters I see on lightposts and on the local messageboard I do wonder if cars and/or suburban predators (we're near a waterway so there's no shortage of bobcats, coyotes, foxes) are taking their toll.

I've largely accepted cat hair as a consequence of keeping them around. They're generally pretty affectionate so it's going to get all over one's clothing.
    I apologize that this letter is so long; I did not have time to write a short letter

That's an interesting read, idleprocess.

~ cG

One more -

BTW, No one in the family has observed Star using the couch for a scratching post. The first time I noticed some bad kitty had, was when looking at this picture.
    Last edited by Chauncey Gardiner; 03-14-2019 at 07:31 PM.
    Never point a flashlight at anything you don't intend to illuminate! Never buy a flashlight you have to make payments on.

I like cats. At one point, my wife and I had four cats at one time. Itís actually where my CPF name came from; each letter is a name so the first two letters are my wife and I and the next four are from those cats.

Over all the years of having them, I learned that we didnít own those cats, those cats owned us. No cat owner, upon examination, can deny this - particularly if youíve also owned dogs. Ownership of those two animals is as different as night and day.

I would for sure like to have cats again, but Iíd have to get rid of my beagle first!

HAD, up till last weekend. Our loved Seal Point Siamese, ' Rolf ', was put to sleep due to incurable renal failure. Common in male Siamese. He is in my avatar, at about 18 months of age, and a more recent photo of him disrupting me at the pc. We miss him terribly, but having had cats all our lives, we will be having a break from them for a couple of years. I can see another ' Meezer ' down the track aways. He was 9 yrs and 3 months at his passing.

My wife and son have a bet on, as to whether I can hang out two years without a ' Meezer '!!!

harro, So sorry to read of Rolf's passing. He was a beautiful boy.

~ Chance
    Never point a flashlight at anything you don't intend to illuminate! Never buy a flashlight you have to make payments on.

Thanks Chance, yeah, its life, but a meezer kitten in time, will turn him into great memories. The great thing with any cat is, their love for their humans is unconditional. A home without a cat, is but a house.
    Cheers from downunder where we are looking foward to short days and cold nights.
    Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by harro View Post
    HAD, up till last weekend. Our loved Seal Point Siamese, ' Rolf ', was put to sleep due to incurable renal failure. Common in male Siamese. He is in my avatar, at about 18 months of age, and a more recent photo of him disrupting me at the pc. We miss him terribly, but having had cats all our lives, we will be having a break from them for a couple of years. I can see another ' Meezer ' down the track aways. He was 9 yrs and 3 months at his passing.

My wife and son have a bet on, as to whether I can hang out two years without a ' Meezer '!!!
    Awe man, Iím sorry for your loss! I donít even want to think about how itís going to be when my little buddy is gone. Cats arenít pets...they are family, and their absence is noted. Prayers to you and your family!

Flashaholic*

Callie - 12yrs and Frisky - 7yrs

HAD, up till last weekend. Our loved Seal Point Siamese, ' Rolf ', was put to sleep due to incurable renal failure..................................
    Our Kitto passed in July, 2017 and our Reggie passed Jan 23 of this year and both of us said it would be a year or two, if ever that we would have another cat. You can see by my above post how long our cat-free period was.

Manny Man was found abandoned and emaciated. Being about 12, 100% Black and with upper chronic respiratory issues, he was scheduled for the "needle". A friend who works at the shelter alerted us. He is such an affectionate Little Man.
    Last edited by BVH; 03-15-2019 at 07:46 AM.
    WWII 60" Carbon Arc (Sold), 1.6KW NightSun, 1KW VSS-3A, .8KW TrakkaBeam, 600W M-134 Light, 500W X-500-14s, 500W Starburst, 500W A120b, 450 Watt AEG German Leopard 1 Tank Light, 300W Locators, Megaray, 150W Communicator, Maxabeam Gen3, Pichel 75W Mini-Novas

Quote Originally Posted by BVH View Post
    Our Kitto passed in July, 2017 and our Reggie passed Jan 23 of this year and both of us said it would be a year or two, if ever that we would have another cat. You can see by my above post how long our cat-free period was.

Manny Man was found abandoned and emaciated. Being about 12, 100% Black and with upper chronic respiratory issues, he was scheduled for the "needle". A friend who works at the shelter alerted us. He is such an affectionate Little Man.
    You, sir, are a wonderful human being!

Quote Originally Posted by BVH View Post

They ARE such a big part of our lives, and especially those who have had a rough time. I don't know about anywhere else on our planet, but in Aus, they come vet checked, desexed and microchipped from shelters. The BEST by far though, is, its giving a loving, safe forever home to one or two of these wonderful little souls.

i say what ever floats ya boat. but i spent much of my life in the hood. my chow kept my stuff safe for years he also watched over are neibeers so much one wanted me to make my yard there and they would pay for the fench
    LED's have gotten too bright in our stuff. Many nights I'm awakened by my modem lights blinking.had help with my sig thank you for your help.

Quote Originally Posted by Nephron44 View Post
    Awe man, Iím sorry for your loss! I donít even want to think about how itís going to be when my little buddy is gone. Cats arenít pets...they are family, and their absence is noted. Prayers to you and your family!
    Tks Nephron44. Its hard. We get so attatched to the little buggers, agreed, it is hard when they depart. Give your little buddy a cuddle for me, they're a special part of our lives.

Meet Amy. Turns 4 this summer.

Last edited by kj2; 03-16-2019 at 07:20 AM.

How about we steer things back more towards cute pictures of our pets ?
    ... is the archimedes peak

Sorry for the kerfuffle. The offending post has been deleted, a bit too late it seems.
    ďMay it be a light to you in dark places, when all other lights go out.Ē
    J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring

Momma Squirrel has come to recognize Star as a nonthreatening member of our little acre. She doesn't make the same assessment of the neighbor cat, Flapjack. That guy is a hunter.

We believe this will be the third year Momma Squirrel has allowed us to hand feed her.

~ Chance

My cat is hilarious and extremely cute and cuddly. Like it's beyond ridiculous. And I never wanted her, my wife did. But guess who the cat loves more? Now we're BFFs.

Disclaimer: All photo's courtesy of my wife.

CG, that video is freaking amazing and hilarious!!

Quote Originally Posted by TyTEK View Post
    CG, that video is freaking amazing and hilarious!!
    Thank you. Slow the video down at the :30 second mark to enjoy some wonderful squirrel acrobatics.

BTW, Love your wife's additions to the photo.

~ Chance

Quote Originally Posted by Chauncey Gardiner View Post
    Momma Squirrel has come to recognize Star as a nonthreatening member of our little acre. She doesn't make the same assessment of the neighbor cat, Flapjack. That guy is a hunter.

We believe this will be the third year Momma Squirrel has allowed us to hand feed her.

~ Chance
    Hahaha, I think momma squirrel still needs to exercise a bit of caution. If Star is feeling a bit peckish, it could be ' Goodnight Irene '.

Quote Originally Posted by TyTEK View Post
    My cat is hilarious and extremely cute and cuddly. Like it's beyond ridiculous. And I never wanted her, my wife did. But guess who the cat loves more? Now we're BFFs.

Disclaimer: All photo's courtesy of my wife.
    YOU WILL PAMPER ME, HUMAN, AND TREAT ME IN THE WAY MY EARLY EGYPTIAN ANCESTORS WERE TREATED BY THEIR HUMANS.

^^^ Yep, that's pretty much what she would be saying if she could speak human.

Edit: Either that or that she wants to kill us, LOL (could go either way really)

So sad to lose our little friends. But nice to have from kitten to adult and see all of the antics they will get involved with.

Hahaha, I think momma squirrel still needs to exercise a bit of caution. If Star is feeling a bit peckish, it could be ' Goodnight Irene '.
    Star just isn't motivated to hunt. He's too well fed...... and probably wants to avoid the humiliation that would surely result from trying to catch a squirrel.

~ cG
    Last edited by Chauncey Gardiner; 03-17-2019 at 08:55 AM.

Palm Springs, CA, Beverly Hills, CA, Washington, DC, New York City Manhattan

I think the term the UN uses for cats, as we know them at home, is the GDHC: Global Domestic House Cat.

Cats are the: -- "Wildest of the tame, and the tamest of the wild."

Do any of you think we like cats because our flashlights allow us to see in the dark like our kitty's can?

Thank you for sharing the photos of your cats, you all have some very beautiful cats!! I'll try to post some myself.

What is is the term for when cats eyes light up when we shine our lights at night? I use Eye Shine.

Best,

RL
    Last edited by RedLED; 03-17-2019 at 12:42 AM.
    Check my Web Site: www.Redwayphoto.com

Actually what you see in your cat's eyes is a complete other universe. :-) This is my old cat Scruffy. Unretouched photo of his emerald eyes.

This is Jeffrey. He had an eye injury when he was rescued.
    I choose to carry a flashlight because I am often kept in the dark.

Quote Originally Posted by Chauncey Gardiner View Post
    Star just isn't motivated to hunt. He's too well fed...... and probably wants to avoid the humiliation that would surely result from trying to catch a squirrel.

~ cG
    It's been my observation that most domestic cats probably wouldn't know what to do with a squirrel if they caught one, and that represents a problem because - relative to mice and rats - squirrels are dangerous prey and immediate post-capture follow-through is a wee bit critical for the health of the apprehending cat.
    I apologize that this letter is so long; I did not have time to write a short letter

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast