HDS Systems        
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Who has a Cat or Cats?

Default Re: Who has a Cat or Cats?

Quote Originally Posted by Chauncey Gardiner View Post
    Star just isn't motivated to hunt. He's too well fed...... and probably wants to avoid the humiliation that would surely result from trying to catch a squirrel.
    ...... Or perhaps Star is just a big sweetheart and having been the recipient of Flapjack's bullying, he's decided to stop the cycle of violence.

~ Chance
    Never point a flashlight at anything you don't intend to illuminate! Never buy a flashlight you have to make payments on.

...... Or perhaps Star is just a big sweetheart and having been the recipient of Flapjack's bullying, he's decided to stop the cycle of violence.

~ Chance
    I assume Star is a ' Birman ' Chance??

Quote Originally Posted by harro View Post
    I assume Star is a ' Birman ' Chance??
    That's probably as good an assumption as the next. We asked Star's veterinarian if he was part Ragdoll. She said, "Maybe." but didn't hazard a guess.

Our neighbors brought Star home as a rescue-cat, so there's really no way of knowing his heritage. It didn't appear their other pets allowed him his fair share of food. Long story short, we started feeding him. I asked our neighbor if that was OK with him. It was. Years later, the neighbors are gone. Star stayed.

~ Chance
    Never point a flashlight at anything you don't intend to illuminate! Never buy a flashlight you have to make payments on.

Me n' Harley, Super Bowl 37

Did somebody say .... cats?

Quote Originally Posted by JimIslander View Post
    Actually what you see in your cat's eyes is a complete other universe. :-) This is my old cat Scruffy. Unretouched photo of his emerald eyes.
    Ö...' you are under my spell, human.....bring me food '...Ö.

Actually, you can see why they were revered and feared in days of yore. Also, part of the reason they see so well in low light conditions, as well as not seeing the full colour spectrum so well.
    Last edited by harro; 06-22-2019 at 06:33 PM.

Palm Springs, CA, Beverly Hills, CA, Washington, DC, New York City Manhattan

Scruffy's markings are amazing!
    Check my Web Site: www.Redwayphoto.com

Star sleeps pretty much wherever he wants to. Where he wants to is always different.

How cute!

Is that a Seal Point?

Quote Originally Posted by RedLED View Post
    Is that a Seal Point?
    No, I don't think he is a seal point. - #63

Just my $00.02 worth Chance, and RedLED, if I had to hazard a guess at Starís colour points, iíd say either Blue or Lilac point. Both recognised colours by cat associations, worldwide. He could also be a mix of Blue/Seal. Seal being a graduation from ' Rich dark chocolate to black '.
    Last edited by harro; 06-21-2019 at 07:19 PM.

All I know for sure is he's not too picky about where he chooses to lay down.

I had a cat that liked to do that also.
    I choose to carry a flashlight because I am often kept in the dark.

Flashaholic*

Happy to see that Iím not the only one that canít use the bathroom without my protection.

The Tortie follows me like a dog. She stays in bed until I get up, then follows me to bed in the evening.

I had someone come to the side door the other day. The Tortie started growling and hissing. Once I told her it was OK, he was a friend, she backed down and was as good as gold.
    Those that can, do. Those that can't, teach.

Yeah, umm, that's about right. ' I WILL LAY DOWN WHERE AND WHEN I WANT TO '. Sorry, that was with regard to Star, I forgot the quote button.
    Hahaha, a closer look at his face and the expression is saying, ' GET THAT BLOODY CAMERA AWAY FROM ME, HUMAN '.
    Last edited by harro; 06-21-2019 at 02:13 AM.

Thanks, Harro, I'm not good at the different cat colors.

That's probably as good an assumption as the next. We asked Star's veterinarian if he was part Ragdoll. She said, "Maybe." but didn't hazard a guess.

Our neighbors brought Star home as a rescue-cat, so there's really no way of knowing his heritage. It didn't appear their other pets allowed him his fair share of food. Long story short, we started feeding him. I asked our neighbor if that was OK with him. It was. Years later, the neighbors are gone. Star stayed.

~ Chance
    A bit late here Chance, but just taking a closer look at Star, yeah, the white toes are a dead giveaway for a Birman. The color points extend down the foot to the toe joints, then the pure white toes ( yes, his foot begins at what looks like a 'backward knee joint', halfway up his leg. Our furry friends/rulers actually walk on ' tiptoes ' ). He may have been from a breeder, and for whatever reasons, usually asthetics ( cruel and uncaring, but a fact of life with some darn breeders ), he was rejected, and ended up in the rescue scenario. Doesn't matter, he has his servants and kingdom to rule over, and sets his expected standards of behaviour from his servants.

harro, You just might have hypothesized the truth of how Star came to reside under our roof. It's hard to capture with a camera due to his unwillingness to look directly at us, but Star's right eye has always been cloudy.

The Lovely Mrs. Gardiner and I have had the pleasure of living with some wonderful felines. However, Star is and always will be cherished as special.

Quote Originally Posted by harro View Post
    A bit late here Chance, but just taking a closer look at Star, yeah, the white toes are a dead giveaway for a Birman. The color points extend down the foot to the toe joints, then the pure white toes ( yes, his foot begins at what looks like a 'backward knee joint', halfway up his leg. Our furry friends/rulers actually walk on ' tiptoes ' ). He may have been from a breeder, and for whatever reasons, usually asthetics ( cruel and uncaring, but a fact of life with some darn breeders ), he was rejected, and ended up in the rescue scenario. Doesn't matter, he has his servants and kingdom to rule over, and sets his expected standards of behaviour from his servants.

Quote Originally Posted by idleprocess View Post
    It's been my observation that most domestic cats probably wouldn't know what to do with a squirrel if they caught one, and that represents a problem because - relative to mice and rats - squirrels are dangerous prey and immediate post-capture follow-through is a wee bit critical for the health of the apprehending cat.
    I really don't know how I missed your post, idleprocess. Bygones for not replying until now. I once witnessed an all-out squirrel fight. It was one of the quickest, most brutal engagements I have ever witnessed. Having hand-fed Momma Squirrel for three years I've had the opportunity to observe her up close and personal. While her teeth are those of a rat, her surgically-sharp claws would give Edward Scissor-Hands reason to be wary.
    Last edited by Chauncey Gardiner; 06-21-2019 at 10:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RedLED View Post
    Scruffy's markings are amazing!
    Lady Islander sometimes called him Hercule Poirot.

Does anyone else's kitty have furry paws?

Not me, but this thread reminded me of a cat my best friend used to have. White, with a few orange spots. He was named "Salem." And what truly made him special is that he had thumbs on his front paws. Both of the inner-most digits on his front paws were pushed outward from his other digits, and towards his body. Basically, thumbs! And he knew how to use them.

Generally an even-tempered cat who caused very little trouble. Though one morning, as we both woke up while I was visiting, (he had decided to bed down next to me for the night) I tried petting him; and he swiped at me with his paw.... with his claws extended. I pulled my hand away just in the nick of time. After that, I decided to avoid him as I can't stand temperamental people, or animals. If anyone is wondering, Salem's deformity with his paws was likely the result of the same reason why he passed away at an early age. Salem was the product of two very closely related cats who shouldn't have had relations with each other, which led to Salem being born.
    "The World is insane. With tiny spots of sanity, here and there... Not the other way around!" - John Cleese.

Flashaholic*

Salemís condition is a genetic mutation called polydactylism. The cats at the Hemingway house in Key West Florida are known for being polydactyl.

Polydactyl cats were thought by sailors to be good hunters of rodents on ships making the Atlantic crossing. Supposedly, the larger paws gave them better balance on rocking ships.

One of my cats, Stuie was a four paw polydactyl cat. He had 6 toes on each paw. I posted a picture here before, but I guess it got wiped out by the DropBox purge a few years back.

Some people refer to the paws as looking like mittens or snow shoes.

In the cat breeder world though , snow shoe cats have white paws and have nothing to do with the size of the paw.
    Those that can, do. Those that can't, teach.

That's really interesting. I thought poor Salem was unique.
    "The World is insane. With tiny spots of sanity, here and there... Not the other way around!" - John Cleese.

The cats:
    • My Hyde A stray that literally followed me home one night. He's some sort of Siamese/Manx/Persian mixture. In his youth he could flat-foot a six foot jump and would indulge light roughhousing on occasion. I believe he's about 14 now. He's talkative and can be aggressively affectionate.
    • Uryu A former co-worker's cat I adopted when they learned their young child was severely allergic. He's a regular goofball.
    • Mr Bibbers Girlfriend's Flame Point Siamese. He's a real nacho but also affectionate.

Mr Hyde disapproves of the camera.

And now Mr Hyde's preferred activity these days. His tail has always been stubby, partially fused, with a permanent cowlick.

You are likely to be eaten by a Grue.

A more typical Uryu pose. He's incredibly difficult to photograph. His coat is smoke - each hair is black at the tip, white at the base.

Bibbers tangles himself up in that curtain all the time - because he's so fabulous.
    I apologize that this letter is so long; I did not have time to write a short letter

Quote Originally Posted by JimIslander View Post
    Actually what you see in your cat's eyes is a complete other universe. :-) This is my old cat Scruffy. Unretouched photo of his emerald eyes.
    Your cat is fully charged. Please unplug from charger to save energy.
    Veni vidi velcro

Your cat is fully charged. Please unplug from charger to save energy.
    Hahaha, classic. Looks just like that though. And as Scruffy's human servant has said, you sort of can see the universe when you look into those eyes.

When our cats are "Fully Charged," they run up the walls, across the ceiling and down the other side!

If if you have indoor cats, like we do, I have a wooden ladder from our studio I bring it in, and that love it! They climb up and down it, and get up on the beams that make up our Mid Century Modern home where the cats are kept.

If if you bring in a leader, they instantly know what to do. Very cute and fun for them and us.

And, after a deep kitty cat nap they wake up - "Fully Charged!" WILD! I love it when they go wild!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast