Jetbeam        
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Best EDC flashlight that you can depend on and why..

Default Re: Best EDC flashlight that you can depend on and why..

Yes a twisty body would be ideal! If only I could find one 🤔😜
    If i had one day left to live i would want to be at my workplace.Because every day is like a frickin eternity.

Quote Originally Posted by tech25 View Post
    If the high/ low ring goes wonky (dirt?), it would probably be stuck on one of the modes. For an absolutely, reliable Malkoff, I think a twisty host with an M61 drop-in would probably be the ticket.

For my use, an HDS with Malkoff as backup would be my choice(s)
    Every time Malkoff gets mentioned in this thread I go to the Malkoff website and add a flash light to the cart. Have not pressed purchase yet.

Malkoff m60
    Malkoff m361
    Malkoff m61

And an HDs rotary haha
    hunter, fisherman, flashlight enthusiast

Default Re: Best EDC flashlight that you can depend on...

^...............

Default Re: Best EDC flashlight that you can depend on...

Quote Originally Posted by TIP AND RING View Post
    +1 Not quite 5 years, but it's constantly with me on a neck chain. My Freedom has survived a lot of surf, chop and sand.

On my neck as well! These are an essential.

Quote Originally Posted by RCS1300 View Post
    To get to preset B from Preset D. Click once, wait a second, click once again.
    Thanks. I have several non-HDS lights that also have that feature...

Quote Originally Posted by thermal guy View Post
    Question. What could go wrong with Malkoff high/low ring? And if it did go belly up would the light still work? The reason I ask is because no way would I have a tool to remove it in the field and if thereís a chance that It could fail and take the light out of action I need to to start thinking of a solution.
    The only way the high low ring can fail is if the resistor or the plunger switch were to break. This is very unlikely, since the resistor is also potted. Still, in a worst case scenario, if the ring failed, the light would only work in high mode. Only low mode would be disabled.
    ďMay it be a light to you in dark places, when all other lights go out.Ē
    J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring

Every time Malkoff gets mentioned in this thread I go to the Malkoff website and add a flash light to the cart. Have not pressed purchase yet.
    Definitely worth owning. If you're accustomed to the HDS, then the Malkoff UI will seem quite simple, perhaps even quaint. The simplicity is what sells it, though. If you try a Malkoff, I'd recommend a Hound Dog of one sort or another. It's the perfect companion for the HDS. I've never met any sort of darkness that couldn't be overcome with that pair.
    ďMay it be a light to you in dark places, when all other lights go out.Ē
    J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring

My 18650 hound dog has the perfect spill and throw when Iím in the woods.lights up the trail great and spill is plenty wide enough to walk around with without tripping over stuff. And the low is more then enough most of the time.
    If i had one day left to live i would want to be at my workplace.Because every day is like a frickin eternity.

If you asked me a few months ago,
    I would have said my jet beam RRT 1 carried, in pocket, used and abused for over 10 years, 24/7 dropped numerous times, a survivor, along with my SureFire 6p and 6z that have the Malkoff led units in them.

Now after owning several HDS And retiring my ancient RRT I vote the HDS followed by the 6p and 6z with the Malkoff units in them.
    Last edited by Commodorefirst; 03-14-2019 at 07:25 PM.
    Current 24/7 (2019) primary- HDS Rotary 325 long Cree XP-G3 5000K; secondary - HDS Rotary High Noon Nichia 219c; 219b 3500k 9080; Past (for 10 years) 24/7 JETBeam RR0 Raptor; Other: Malkoff Converted Surefire 6p 6z and numerous Fenix, Olight, JETBeam, Surefire, Thrunite, www.AestheticPhotos.com

I EDC a light as a tool I can depend on, not as a show-and-tell trinket. Having worked with hand tools all my life, I have come to appreciate the value of spending more for something that will last a lifetime and work without fail every time it is needed.

For the reasons above, I detest "programmable" lights that require coaxing to do what I want, and any light that makes me hold my breath on its free-fall way to hitting a concrete floor.

I don't need gee-wiz lumen output, 14 different versions of programmable SOS modes, multiple switches, USB charging ports, or anything with the word "tactical" in the model name (most of which are anything but tactical).

Simple. Dependable. Serviceable. Rugged and long-lasting.

Malkoff.

Quote Originally Posted by lion504 View Post
    Thanks. I have several non-HDS lights that also have that feature...
    yes, it is great to not have to scroll through a menu to select a light setting.

Malkoff and SF are the brands I feel I can trust for the simplicity and robust build.

ZL is the one that I do depend on EDC and have for years and I have not been let down yet.
    I also carry a backup ALWAYS.

Still stuck on Quarks - my favorites are the early gen programmable Clicks (and I have NIB spares). I use my light a lot (as a camper) and so 'failures' always boils down to the batteries, and the Quark is by far the most battery efficient/versatile for me due to its perfect mode low mode spacing (90% of my usage), 1-4.2v current regulation, Lego-able batt tubes, and ability to rig on any battery in pinch. My HDS 325 sees some rotation use as it can also be programmed for my perfect mode spacing, and I really like the UI, but it's inefficient and for the less weight/bulk, my Quark Click on a 16650 has 6x+ the runtime (at my low lows), very similar UI (moonlight/low toggle, mode memory, and lightening access to 3rd/4th modes), and will run perfect on any chemistry AAA/AA/CR123-sized cell with my wallet spacers. My Malkoff MDCs have slow PWM and temp. unstable moonlight so not at the top of my list.

Mechanical clickies have been totally reliable for me, I've only have had issues with electronic clicky lights. Battery efficiency/versatility trump bombproof lights for me - if you're going to carry extra batteries, it's not much more to carry an extra flashlight around it.

Malkoff is the light I have used the most and the hardest. I have a Surefire 6P that was used pretty hard in its original form and later with the Malkoff drop in. No problems. Also a Surefire G2X Pro has been through some pretty rough times with no failure of any kind.

My absolute most reliable light uses an LED pill for long life, primary fuel to avoid trip circuits and a mechanical slider switch so no parts to suddenly 'snap' and fail. It's a 1971 2C Kel-Lite with a Don Keller designed LED prototype module.

Aside from that I have no qualms with anything Maglite makes. For smaller lights I rely on lights made by PK Design Lab and a Fenix E01.

Oh, I have a slew of other rock solid reliables like SureFires, Elzettas, Pelicans, Streamlights and Pentagons to see occasional duty for specialized applications.

Cost was not a factor in any of them, but my budget allows me to put cost aside. I just opt to stop at $199.

To me the best value is the SureFire G2x Pro with Maglite ML25's coming a close second.
    John 3:16

Quote Originally Posted by reppans View Post
    if you're going to carry extra batteries, it's not much more to carry an extra flashlight around it.
    bingo, my battery carrier is a spare flashlight

My EDC

Since price is no object, Im upgrading to a Titanium Triple Nichia w Trits:

Quote Originally Posted by mash.m View Post

Quote Originally Posted by nfetterly View Post

Ten reasons the Customized Eye10 TiC is the best for me:

1. Infinitely variable Rotary, no clicky codes to think about
    2. Screwed on pocket clip, no holster required
    3. Low is lower than 0.01, high is higher than 350 lumens
    4. 18350, 16340, CR123 compatible, also works with 18650 tube of Eye15
    5. Titanium with Tritium
    6. NoPWM
    7. Smaller, and LIGHTer, than other Titanium lights, and not all about the Benjamins
    8. The most intuitive, and ergonomic UI of any light I have owned.
    9. Dimmable Strobe
    10. High CRI :-)
    Last edited by jon_slider; 03-16-2019 at 04:10 PM.

My EagTac D3A. Very compact and slim. I never even notice it in my pocket. Itís durable and well built. It also happens to look very nice. And, one of the main reasons I like it is that it takes both 14500 and AA battery types. I will not EDC anything that doesnít take a very accessible common battery type. Of course I use other lights that take various battery types, but my true EVERYDAY carry has to take AA. The D3A is the one light that I am NEVER without.

Flashaholic

+1 for the Photon Freedom, but in my own experience only if worn around your neck as it can inadvertently turn on when in a pocket whereas my Photon II has never had this issue.

So 'depend on' can mean lots of things to everyone, I can list many potential candidates that I have purchased/carried including Fenix E01, Fenix LD20, Streamlight Protac 1L, Elzetta Alpha, Malkoff MDC SHO, Bright-Stike Epli (very good but underrated light BTW)... all very dependable lights that I have no doubt can be physically thrown as far down the street as possible numerous times and still take a beating.

However 'depend on' also means runtime too so taking this and everything else into account especially not leaving you in the dark with instant cutoff, the best EDC light I can depend on is the HDS EDC LE, there is also one of the best documented torture tests for this specific model too:

"Our Clicky-style flashlights are the most rugged and reliable flashlights available. The photo shows the level of abuse this light can tolerate and keep on working. This photo was taken after the light was severely abused for two hours, starting with repeated drops from 10m (33 feet) on to concrete and them being thrown as hard as possible at concrete, rocks and steal grates or as far as possible down a paved road."
    source and photo: https://www.hdssystems.com/Products/Le/

I depend on this light as I have momentary high, every time I press the button (and with better than Surefire runtimes), but can also get to medium mode easily when needed needed with 10 lumens for 30 hours.
    HDS light are as their moto says "The light that gets you home", as they have an elegant low battery warning that gradually steps down towards battery deletion, so you'll never be left in the dark (had a bad experience once in a cave with a FourSevens Quark Pro instantly turning off from a high mode with no warning while running an Eneloop and couldn't turn back on until the battery was replaced).
    I also feel comfortable with the fact that I have a spare lens, spare rubber boots and o-rings should they ever need replacing, and that HDS's electronic switches are rated for 1,000,000 clicks, while other lights proudly state their 10,000 (Bright-Strike) or 100,000 (Zebralight) ratings.

For me, I wonder why anyone would choose to carry anything less than a dependable light, well I do understand that price can be an inhibiting factor, and yes HDS are expensive, but IMO you get what you pay for and tools that can save your life should be dependable.

I'm starting to ramble a bit now, but also a SHFT situation can happen any time too not just while you are at home, so just another reason why a crappy non dependable light should not be your primary EDC. In saying that no matter how dependable your primary EDC is, it is also important to carry a dependable backup light too.
    Last edited by GoVegan; 03-16-2019 at 09:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GoVegan View Post
    I wonder why anyone would choose to carry anything less than a dependable light
    NONE of my lights are undependable
    what is best depends on what battery type the user wants to be able to use, and what features, UI, and materials they prefer

here are some examples.. all are dependable, they just have different battery options and UIs
    Last edited by jon_slider; 03-17-2019 at 09:31 PM.

Nice Jetbeams
    Last edited by Coppet; 03-18-2019 at 06:01 AM.

Titanium magnetic Rotaries like the TCR-1 are very durable:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...=1#post3933054
    Quote Originally Posted by fyrstormer View Post
    As I've been playing with this light the past few days, it's occurred to me that this may be the most durable light design ever created -- not the TC-R1 specifically, but the general paradigm the TC-R1 is based on. It's made of a strong metal with no surface coating to chip off, and all of the electrical parts are non-moving. There is no clicky-switch to wear out, the threads are not used as part of the twisty-switch mechanism, and the brightness control operates by way of a contactless magnetic sensor. No matter how much the moving parts wear down, they won't stop working, and there are no small parts to break. Even if the spring-loaded-ball that provides friction for the ring were to wear down completely and fall out, the magnetic sensor that senses the position of the ring would continue to work. This light could very well last for decades of daily use.

Get a fenix or zebralight. They are extremely reliable. Surefire may have similar quality, but is way over priced.

Here is the daily Photon Freedom.

Quote Originally Posted by ktsl View Post
    Get a fenix or zebralight. They are extremely reliable. Surefire may have similar quality, but is way over priced.
    I have no experience with Zebralight, but I can tell you for sure that Fenix is nowhere near the quality of Surefire. Is Surefire overpriced? Sometimes, yes, but Fenix has nowhere near the dependability of Surefire. I would never go into combat with a Fenix, but I would trust a Surefire every time.

Fenix is good though.
    Last edited by RCS1300; 03-19-2019 at 06:27 PM.

Fenix is good though.
    Iím not saying itís not good, Iím just saying that it isnít even close to being on par with Surefire...

Quote Originally Posted by Tixx View Post
    Here is the daily Photon Freedom.
    After September 11th, I purchased a couple dozen of these lights and gave them to friends and family. I think they were at least $25 each at the time. I remember being impressed that so much light could come from something so small.

At the time I wasnít a flashaholic, but it was my first foray into the hobby. Not too soon afterward I found myself wanting more, and that started my interest in flashlights. My EDC for years has been the D25A, and now the upgraded D3A.

In your opinion. I get it that sf is made here so there's the sentimental value. But is there any proof Fenix "isn't close to being on par"? In the market, Fenix make SF kinda obsolete nowadays.

And we are not even talking about functionality. I mean something like 5lm-1000lm setting in a SF is just poor design . (did I remember it correctly?)

Quote Originally Posted by Nephron44 View Post
    Iím not saying itís not good, Iím just saying that it isnít even close to being on par with Surefire...
    Last edited by ktsl; 03-20-2019 at 07:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ktsl View Post
    In your opinion. I get it that sf is made here so there's the sentimental value. But is there any proof Fenix "isn't close to being on par"? In the market, Fenix make SF kinda obsolete nowadays.

And we are not even talking about functionality. I mean something like 5lm-1000lm setting in a SF is just poor design . (did I remember it correctly?)
    This has nothing to do with where itís made, and yes there is proof. There are many many many accounts of Surefire lights surviving blasts overseas. Are there defective lights that break prematurely? Sure, but Iím talking overall.

While there are accounts of Fenix lights surviving torture, there are much less of them surviving what Surefire lights have survived...

As far as design, Surefire makes useful lights, mostly geared towards military and first responders...not for poking around in the garage or sitting at home playing with it. For their target audience, they are far from poor design.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast